Post counts and "reply gnomes"
Mar 30, 2004 at 3:02 PM Post #46 of 74
I have been known to reply for no apparent reason. Like now.
But I am here only to point out that music fanatic is conspicuous by his absence in this thread.
I do tend to edit posts if I find something to add, rather than make a new post.

edit I forgot this............. +1
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #47 of 74
I know myself when I first discovered Head-Fi I posted far more than I do know. I think partially I wanted to fit into the community and in order to do so I felt the need to interact. I don't think I ever got into the whole useless posting crap, but some of those Mike Scarpitti and other arguments definately boosted my post count.

Lately though I don't seem to post nearly as much because I try to stay out of those silly no win arguments and I try to only post when I have something relevant to say or questions to ask.

Demolition,

I'm with you. Sometimes I feel like I stall threads myself, it's probably just timing though. I do think you may be right about people glossing over longer posts. I try to articulate as best I can and give as much relevant information in my posts but sometimes I wonder if they become overly convoluted causing people to either not bother reading or skim and not get to the heart of the matter. I guess there is something to be said for simplicity.

Mar 30, 2004 at 4:01 PM Post #48 of 74
Quote:

Originally posted by aerius
Repeat after me, "this is why I have an Ignore List".

Nobody has annoyed me enough to use this feature yet, though I have come close to pulling the trigger on a few occasions.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 4:02 PM Post #49 of 74
There are useless posts around here? Music Fanatic? I must have a bad memory...
confused.gif

I mean I know some people have cranked out an ungodly number of posts in a short time, but I must have somehow missed all their really useless posts.
confused.gif

Oh, and +1 to this Team Useless whipping boy of a thread
lambda.gif
lambda.gif
lambda.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 30, 2004 at 4:09 PM Post #50 of 74
Hey ...

All of what follows is self-evident, therefore redundant before written, but maybe hopefully its presence will remind you...

Everyone is in a process of becoming...people join in hopes of being included, learning, teaching, belonging...

Post counter in not indicative of quality of content...

Flaming or complaining publicly will drive off a possible new Tuberoller, PPL, ServingInEcuador,Tangent, or Morsel, etc...

Praise in public, & correct, flame, or train in a private PM or e-mail...

Ignore the ones who are repugnant to you, but at least give a polite note to the offending party - they might turn out all right with a little correction/feedback...

The more newbies/slowbies you drive off, the less candidates you have to participate in the society...

Everyone posts a redundant, misguided, tasteless, stupid or completely inane comment once in a while...

Perhaps most importantly, It Is Really Easy To Misinterpret Meanings/Intent On A Message Board - try to impute the "right" meaning instead of looking for insult or stupidity in any given message.

Some lucky people are making their way along the road of life with a Turbocharged, Intercooled, NOS & fuel injected, Titanium and Unobtainium partslist V-10 under their mental Bonnet, and some are limping along with a 6:1 compression ratio (when it was new) 4500 rpm redline it hasn't seen in a long time, blowing oil, briggs & strapiron. Doesn't mean that they don't have something to contribute in EITHER case...

Stasis is death for any relationship/club/activity - newbies bring new perspectives and skillsets, interests and abilities that may be useful to you...

(puts away his soapbox, shrugs, and walks away)

The Big Ugly Guy

Mar 30, 2004 at 6:39 PM Post #52 of 74
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
Cool, you just hit 666 posts oddball! Hail Satan!
evil_smiley.gif

I just got to the 666 (mark of the beast?) post count myself recently, and admit immediately making a useless post just to get off that number.
redface.gif
Silly, I know, but I'm not taking any chances with my Soul.
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #53 of 74
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
just imagine if vwap wasn't going to law school, goose wasn't in med school and merton hadn't gotten run over in the driveway of a couple dozen headfiers...

LOL!!

I have a very nice system of browsing this site: My eyes glaze over anything my brain isnt particularly interested in. Works really well. You guys should try it.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:45 AM Post #55 of 74
When I first got here, I didn't post much, IIRC. I usually lurk for awhile to get a feel. Of course, I was at Headwize first for awhile. I still check in there every now and then.

Now, I usually post on things I either have experience in, or am interested in. This usually means anything to do with EAC, LAME, or FLAC, PCDPs, and DIY stuff. My posts per day are currently at 1.17. Considering I joined Jan. '03, I'd say 525 posts isn't too bad. At this rate, I'll be a Supremus in another two years
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oh, BTW, I was guilty of the 'post anywhere and about everything' awhile back, because I was at 490, or so, I was really bored, and wanted to hit 500. So I did. But at least I didn't just post a smiley or something.

Finally... postCount++
biggrin.gif

(-:Stephonovich:)

Mar 31, 2004 at 7:46 AM Post #56 of 74
I had to check. Music Fanatic has not posted since 03/27.
eek.gif

He didn't get banned or something while I was away at work did he?
Quote:

Originally posted by elneroDemolition,

I'm with you. Sometimes I feel like I stall threads myself, it's probably just timing though. I do think you may be right about people glossing over longer posts. I try to articulate as best I can and give as much relevant information in my posts but sometimes I wonder if they become overly convoluted causing people to either not bother reading or skim and not get to the heart of the matter. I guess there is something to be said for simplicity.

elnero, you may stall a thread, but I kill them. There are many threads where my name is on the last post.
I gloss over the longer posts sometimes.
Much can be said about Simplicity, but McCalls make just as good patterns.
very_evil_smiley.gif

+1

Mar 31, 2004 at 9:03 AM Post #57 of 74
Quote:

elnero, you may stall a thread, but I kill them. There are many threads where my name is on the last post.

HA HAAAA!!! not this time!
everyone, if Mr. PD posts after me, quickly post so he won't be the last name in the thread.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

but seriously, i think killing a thread is not as bad as it seems. i often think that having the last post in a thread means that everyone is pretty much on their sides of the issue/argument/discussion and is therefore in an overall agreement. it's kind of like having the last word or successfully concluding a discussion with "just the right words."
then again, i could be living in fantacy land and be completely wrong
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 9:21 AM Post #58 of 74
AFAIK, Music Fanatic isn't banned. What gets me is that he isn't a member of Team Useless Poster. He hides under a facade of seriousness. (pardon the lack of a better word; it's 3:20AM and I don't feel like thinking or grabbing a thesaurus. And shut up about m-w.com or dictionary.com)

I've killed many a thread before. I find it satisfying on some, sad on others. There's been several times where I'd be happy to continue discussing the topic for many more pages, but unfortunately, people have lives, and so, the thread dies. C'est la vie.

In other, completely unrelated news, has anyone noticed how often Audioscrobbler has been down? Is this just due to it's relative newness?

(-:Stephonovich:)

Mar 31, 2004 at 7:37 PM Post #59 of 74
Why even display the post count? Why are there special titles for different levels of posters?

Since there's no rating method for the quality and/or suitability of the post itself, it's really just a "bragging rights" marker.

I read a post in the DIY section where a senior designer actually slammed someone else's opinion on a circut design because that person had a low post score.

That's when I did a little research to find out if the Head-Fi forum was somehow different from others in that the more posts you have, the "smarter" you are. Cuz I was feeling pretty dumb at that point.

Answer: Nope.

Mar 31, 2004 at 7:44 PM Post #60 of 74
Quote:

Originally posted by Submarinesailor
Why even display the post count? Why are there special titles for different levels of posters?

Its a throwback from the HeadWize days so far as I know..

It ultimately doesn't mean anything, as even those of us with high post counts started with zero at one point, you're quite correct, although the more experienced forum posters / lurkers / viewers will soon know whose opinions to tust / follow, whether by post count, or by reputation... none of it makes any real difference...

Keep them, or lose them, it makes no difference... there are only a couple of people here who are fueled by the thought of overtaking MacDef and myself, and you can soon spot those, by following what they really put back into the community...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back