Post a picture of your homemade audio rack thread...
Dec 30, 2003 at 6:59 PM Post #16 of 23
Now that's a nice rack. I mean.. shelve? Whatever. It's nice
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2003 at 7:24 PM Post #17 of 23
Really nice rack! (I've always wanted to say that and not get slapped
tongue.gif
)

Seriously, excellent workmanship. Congrats.

Dec 31, 2003 at 12:35 AM Post #19 of 23
Nice work Brandon. Lee Valley Tools in Ottawa (woodworker's toy store) offer several natural finishes including danish oil, shellac and cabinet maker's wax.

Its a good thing you de-coupled that marble with some wood. In your case it doesn't matter since its for a headphone system but marble is very prone to ringing with speakers and will pass on that ringing to your components. It needs to be de-coupled with another material to shift the resonance frequency. If the tiles are not glued you might want to put some Soundcoat between the tiles and platform support.

Its nice to see fine workworking skills, a hobby I used to enjoy immensely but had to leave aside when I developed an allergic reaction to wood dust.

Once again congratulations on fine work

Dec 31, 2003 at 1:45 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by GWN
Nice work Brandon. Lee Valley Tools in Ottawa (woodworker's toy store) offer several natural finishes including danish oil, shellac and cabinet maker's wax.

Its a good thing you de-coupled that marble with some wood. In your case it doesn't matter since its for a headphone system but marble is very prone to ringing with speakers and will pass on that ringing to your components. It needs to be de-coupled with another material to shift the resonance frequency. If the tiles are not glued you might want to put some Soundcoat between the tiles and platform support.

Its nice to see fine workworking skills, a hobby I used to enjoy immensely but had to leave aside when I developed an allergic reaction to wood dust.

Once again congratulations on fine work

Thanks for the compliment.

I shop at Lee Valley Tools from time to time. That's where I bought the brass corners.

Thanks for the info and warning about marble being prone to ringing. My original intention was to buy thick slabs of marble or granite (I made mention of this while talking to you at the meet), but I came across these which set me back a whopping $0. Anyways...the stand is for esthetic purposes only. I will eventually buy 3 audiophile quality dampening platforms. Right now I'd rather invest that money in my trading account.

Dec 31, 2003 at 2:04 AM Post #21 of 23
Yes, I remember our discussion at the meet. I use slabs of granite for my P300 and my VPI turntable. Both slabs are decoupled with Navcom pucks and 2 inch thick maple shelves. The granite slab under the VPI will soon be replaced by a Nuance shelf. The granite under the P300 works really well and will stay.

Again nice work, Danish oil followed by a light coat of finishing wax should really bring out the grain of that beautiful wood you have and give it a nice non glossy natural finish. I hate stuff finished with urethane.

Dec 31, 2003 at 6:58 AM Post #22 of 23
beautifully made and damned impressive rack, Brandon, my highest compliments. I couldnt do that if they gave me a paid, five year sabbatical from work just to accomplish it!

JC

Dec 31, 2003 at 8:03 AM Post #23 of 23
I don't know what to stare at.... the modded SCD-1 or the DIY equipment rack!
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back