Post a picture of your homemade audio rack thread...
Dec 30, 2003 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Brandon_Ottawa

100+ Head-Fier
It took about 1 week during Christmas to make this heavy sucker. The stand is made out of solid walnut, solid mahogany, 1/4" marble, and 3/4" MDF shelves. The legs are each made up of 12 recessed mahogany panels....so I made a total of 48 recessed panels...I'm a pro with the router now! The stand is about 46.5" high and the marble platforms are 24"x24". The post to post dimension is about 28"x34 3/4". The stand weighs about 150 - 200 lbs without the equipment. I haven't put a stain on it yet. I think just a natural Minwax antique oil would be beautiful.

I wouldn't sell this baby for under $2 G

Comments welcome.

4015stand3.jpg

4015stand1.jpg

4015stand2.jpg

Dec 30, 2003 at 2:29 AM Post #3 of 23
Wow, Brandon. I guess you got a little self conscious after I made fun of your lace doillies?

Man, that's a beefy rack! I love the little brass corner protectors, LOL.

Go to a wood worker's store and get "Bartleys Gel" varnish. It is really easy to work with and will give you a superb finish.

-Ed

Dec 30, 2003 at 2:34 AM Post #4 of 23
Gorgeous rack, brandon! That sure looks like cherry in the pictures for some reason. I was all excited thinking it was cherry.
Mahogany is very nice, too. I made an aquarium stand from some nice 5/4 I had left over from stock I bought for a boat transom.

My rack is a salamander knockoff, like andrzejpw's. Only I did not even make it, sadly, so no pics for this thread.

Dec 30, 2003 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 23
Thanks for the compliments! It takes a wood worker to understand the amount of time and effort that goes into making something.

andrzejpw - nice rack!

Ed - I'll try to find some of that varnish...but I do have to say that I tend to stay clear of varnishes and urathanes because they are very hard to apply without running. As for the dollies...My g/f says that the rack is too massive and doesn't fit well with our furniture. I'm sure I'll come home one day and find that she added her personal touch (dollies under every component).

Notice how the rack even makes the SCD-1 look small.

Voodoochile - The walnut has sentimental value to me. It was cut from the farm that I grew up on. I'm not sure where the mahogany came from. My dad found some old aged boards in my grandfather's cellar...so we planed them up and the wood was beautiful. The boards had to be 30+ years old.

As for cherry...There were a few homegrown boards laying around, but I thought I'd leave that for my old man to make something nice.

Dec 30, 2003 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 23
If you didn't have equipment on that ginormous rack, I'da thought it was some weird triple-decker bunk-bed...that'd be badass, somebody with a huge ceiling should try that
biggrin.gif
, I have a regular-height ceiling, so that won't work for me, unless somebody wants to sleep on the floor--lol

Dec 30, 2003 at 4:31 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Brandon_Ottawa
It took about 1 week during Christmas to make this heavy sucker. The stand is made out of solid walnut, solid mahogany, 1/4" marble, and 3/4" MDF shelves. The legs are each made up of 12 recessed mahogany panels....so I made a total of 48 recessed panels...I'm a pro with the router now! The stand is about 46.5" high and the marble platforms are 24"x24". The post to post dimension is about 28"x34 3/4". The stand weighs about 150 - 200 lbs without the equipment. I haven't put a stain on it yet. I think just a natural Minwax antique oil would be beautiful.

I wouldn't sell this baby for under $2 G

Comments welcome.

Hi,

That stand looks absolutely gorgeous. I'd expect that you would be able to hear a great difference with it. I remember when I got my stand, the amount of vibration it damped was astonishing and the noise floor dropped considerably and I was able to appreciate the sound so much more.

Good job on that. Well done
biggrin.gif

Mick

Dec 30, 2003 at 5:50 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Ed - I'll try to find some of that varnish...but I do have to say that I tend to stay clear of varnishes and urathanes because they are very hard to apply without running.

That's why I recommend Bartley Gel finish. It's a gel that you dip an old t-shirt or sock into. Then you rub it on the wood. Let dry between coats. Use 0000 steel wool to buff it between coats. It puts a really thin layer on. The stuff dry's fast and doesn't run or drip, because you are essentially applying it like car wax. I love the stuff.

BTW, it comes in those small tins.

-Ed

Dec 30, 2003 at 5:54 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Voodoochile - The walnut has sentimental value to me. It was cut from the farm that I grew up on. I'm not sure where the mahogany came from. My dad found some old aged boards in my grandfather's cellar...so we planed them up and the wood was beautiful. The boards had to be 30+ years old.

As for cherry...There were a few homegrown boards laying around, but I thought I'd leave that for my old man to make something nice.

It's nice to do something special with old *good* wood like that. Not only is the wood nice, it has a history with it.

Dec 30, 2003 at 6:02 AM Post #13 of 23
Go with the Tung Oil, then. It's non-toxic (well, unless it is mixed with a solvent) and will last longer, and look better.

It's gonna take a long time, but will make your rack a real heirloom. Albeit a humougous one.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back