Post a picture of your Headphone Rig.
Apr 6, 2004 at 1:46 AM Post #406 of 1,639
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
Biggie,

What are the big tubes that the big amp uses?

Those are el34's (specifically valve art el34b's)

Biggie.

Apr 6, 2004 at 2:41 AM Post #407 of 1,639
Biggie,

That's what I thought. They look just like the EL34s going in the Weebl. I'm considering cryo treating them to see if they sound better afterwards. I'll let you know afterwards if I go that route.

Apr 6, 2004 at 3:09 AM Post #408 of 1,639
Quote:

Ed,

These sound like just the ticket for a cheap isolation platform for me. I will keep looking for some sturdy legs like those, but with closer to 14" of height. That way the tubes in the CDP have plenty of space to breathe and stay cool. With some decent isolation cones underneath a wood or granite base this will save me a lot of weight and money.

Thanks Ed.

The legs are called "CAPITA", and you pick them up on the bottom "checkout" floor. The smallest one is 11cm (4-3/8") and the middle sized one (the one in the picture of my rig) is 16cm (6-1/4").

The long ones are probably around 10".

IKEA_CAPITA_Legs_01.jpg

-Ed

Apr 6, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #409 of 1,639
Quote:

Biggie,

That's what I thought. They look just like the EL34s going in the Weebl. I'm considering cryo treating them to see if they sound better afterwards. I'll let you know afterwards if I go that route.

I have a quad of those arriving any day now.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I used to use nos seimens/tfk el34's but I find the valve arts to be superior (bass is tight and extended). I went for the cryoed ones because my current ones are too microphonic..

Biggie.

Apr 7, 2004 at 5:14 PM Post #410 of 1,639
Updated pic. I forgot to stain the feet on my rack...ah well.

PS Audio XStream Statement (1.5 m Power Cord) -> PS Audio Ultimate Outlet (High Current version) -> PS Audio XStream Statement (1.5 m Power Cord) -> PS Audio P300 with multiwave II -> Elco HPC-10SP (8 ft Power Cord) -> Sony SCD-1 (modified with Audicom Super Clock II and Super Clock II Power Supply) -> Enterprises Northwest Music Timbre (1M interconnect) -> Headroom Max Headphone Amplifier (with an Elco HPC-10SP (5.5ft Power Cord) sitting on a Decware stand) -> Zu Mobius Headphone Cable (2.5M) -> Sennheiser HD650 -> My audiophile ears

4015stainedstand.JPG

Apr 7, 2004 at 8:31 PM Post #412 of 1,639
Brandon_Ottawa: is having an ultimate outlet and a P300 on the same loop benificial? and where can I get some Enterprises Northwest Music Timbre (1M interconnect) for a decent price? I've been interested in them but they seem to be selling for insane prices now, compared to what I have seen them for a few months ago.

Apr 7, 2004 at 9:56 PM Post #414 of 1,639
Quote:

Originally posted by ayt999
Brandon_Ottawa: is having an ultimate outlet and a P300 on the same loop benificial? and where can I get some Enterprises Northwest Music Timbre (1M interconnect) for a decent price? I've been interested in them but they seem to be selling for insane prices now, compared to what I have seen them for a few months ago.

I must be honest and admit that my UO purchase was sparked by an interesting tidbit in the UO Stereophile review. In the review it was suggested that the UO would provide some useful pre-cleaning for my P300. The end result would be a more open and dynamic sound. So I took the bait and placed an order for a high currect UO and another XStream Statement pc. So, did I hear any sonic improvements? - Not really. My money would have been better spent on a Bel Canto DAC2.

About the Enterprises NW ICs...I have found that auctions ending on Mondays will have the lowest winning bids. That's when I buy my stuff. Auctions ending on Saturday are the WORST!!

Here's the Stereophile tidbit that caught my attention...

http://www.stereophile.com//accessor...60/index2.html
PS Audio Ultimate Outlet AC conditioner

Robert Deutsch, December, 2001

"Overkill?
The Power Plant takes raw AC from the wall, converts it to DC, then converts it back to AC, precisely regulating the output voltage and using a DSP-based signal generator to produce a pure 60Hz AC sinewave or the alternative MultiWave combination of waveforms. The Power Plant's output has demonstrably lower noise and distortion than raw AC, and might be expected to be impervious to all but the most marked variations in the quality of AC supply. To use a UO at the input of the Power Plant might seem redundant, or to amount to overkill. Nevertheless, PS Audio says that, used in this configuration, the UO can produce some useful "pre-cleaning" of the AC, with further sonic benefits.

Well, I tried this combination, and I have to agree with PS Audio's recommendation. The difference was not night-and-day, but the sound became a bit more open and more dynamic, and there was some reduction of upper-frequency grain. The results were better with the High Current UO than with the Standard.

I also tried plugging the UO (Standard or High Current) into one of the P300's outputs, then plugging the digital source components into the UO. This is the recommended setup for preventing the digital components from dumping noise back into the P300. I compared the sound of this combination to the sound with the digital components plugged directly into the P300. Result: no difference that I could consistently identify. This is not to say that there would be no audible effect with other digital components or in other systems, but in the hierarchy of PLC-related improvements, I would put on the lowest level the addition of a UO after the P300 just for digital components."

Apr 7, 2004 at 10:02 PM Post #416 of 1,639
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
Man, that rack makes your components look small.
biggrin.gif

Heheh, after all that work, you owe it to yourself to stain those feet later. After a component upgrade or something. Or when you're bored.
tongue.gif

-Ed

Yeah, it sure makes the SCD-1 look small. Pretty funny...especially to those who have seen or own the SCD-1 tank.

Apr 7, 2004 at 10:16 PM Post #417 of 1,639
Quote:

Originally posted by Brandon_Ottawa
Yeah, it sure makes the SCD-1 look small. Pretty funny...especially to those who have seen or own the SCD-1 tank.

That and your P300 just looks so cute on the shelf.
biggrin.gif

Mine dwarfs my entire mini rack setup.

-Ed

Apr 7, 2004 at 10:20 PM Post #418 of 1,639
Brandon_Ottawa,

Where did you get that stand for your amp? (The one with the vibration dampening spikes)

Are they expensive?

Do you hear an audible difference?

Thanks.
Dan

Apr 7, 2004 at 11:05 PM Post #420 of 1,639
Quote:

Originally posted by Dan the audioman
Brandon_Ottawa,

Where did you get that stand for your amp? (The one with the vibration dampening spikes)

Are they expensive?

Do you hear an audible difference?

Thanks.
Dan

I got the Decware ZSTAND from the classifieds on Audiogon. Deware sells them online for $95. Sad to say...my ears don't hear a night-and-day difference. Here's the link...

http://www.decware.com/new%20site/mainmenu.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back