Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Apr 18, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #1,622 of 5,379
Not too much work to transform this table into something that actually sounds pretty good.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #1,623 of 5,379
Man you guys have so much fun playing your LPs and leaving your TT with their cover off. Mine is so dusty even after a week and had to keep the cover on at all times. It makes the TT look like a huge chunk of useless box instead of a pretty TT.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #1,624 of 5,379
A lot of 'hi-fi' tables don't have dust covers. You have to pay upwards for $200 for one a lot of the time.

Mine came with a nifty Cardboard cover. :)

Quote:
Man you guys have so much fun playing your LPs and leaving your TT with their cover off. Mine is so dusty even after a week and had to keep the cover on at all times. It makes the TT look like a huge chunk of useless box instead of a pretty TT.

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #1,625 of 5,379

Simple, you hide the cover when you're ready to take pictures. :p Seriously though, I guess some people just don't have a dust problem. I'm unfortunately not in that situation. I've had friends tell me that I should dust off my stuff with 'a years worth of dust on it' when I had only a few days earlier.

Generally though the dust cover is said to add resonance to the table so higher end tables either have fully removable covers or none at all.

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #1,626 of 5,379
I unscrewed my dust covers on older tables (keeping all the parts of course) and made them fully removeable as well. Just in case.

Quote:
Simple, you hide the cover when you're ready to take pictures.
tongue.gif
Seriously though, I guess some people just don't have a dust problem. I'm unfortunately not in that situation. I've had friends tell me that I should dust off my stuff with 'a years worth of dust on it' when I had only a few days earlier.

Generally though the dust cover is said to add resonance to the table so higher end tables either have fully removable covers or none at all.

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #1,627 of 5,379
Yeah the cover tend to be microphonic because it is not as rigid as the rest of the TT. However, I've yet to detect any difference with the cover on, off, opened, or closed. I think my setup isn't really high end and that revealing.

Also I got this nasty booming bass in a certain frequency. I think it's because of standing waves. I'm using my bookshelves as computer speakers so they become nearfields.

There's the turntable with the cover on in the left corner of the picture.
If you listen to Adele's Skyfall, at the 1:00 minute mark there will be a bass line, and my speakers reproduced them in a very echoing and boomy manner (I don't know the term to explain it).

Do I need to invest in bass traps or acoustic panels or whatever? I've tried different placements but no dice. Some improvements but nothing massive. But I do notice it subsides a little when I lower my head to woofer level. I've since fashioned myself a stand with styrofoam layers wrapped in paper.
It's not much, but it's mine.

So how can I rectify this? Please advise.

Apr 19, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #1,628 of 5,379
Quote:
Yeah the cover tend to be microphonic because it is not as rigid as the rest of the TT. However, I've yet to detect any difference with the cover on, off, opened, or closed. I think my setup isn't really high end and that revealing.

Also I got this nasty booming bass in a certain frequency. I think it's because of standing waves. I'm using my bookshelves as computer speakers so they become nearfields.

There's the turntable with the cover on in the left corner of the picture.
If you listen to Adele's Skyfall, at the 1:00 minute mark there will be a bass line, and my speakers reproduced them in a very echoing and boomy manner (I don't know the term to explain it).

Do I need to invest in bass traps or acoustic panels or whatever? I've tried different placements but no dice. Some improvements but nothing massive. But I do notice it subsides a little when I lower my head to woofer level. I've since fashioned myself a stand with styrofoam layers wrapped in paper.
It's not much, but it's mine.

So how can I rectify this? Please advise.

Well, let's put it that way - why on earth you think great TTs come with great isolation support(s) ?
Why they use no microphone   dustcover, at least while playing a record ? I know you are on the toughest of budgets - but you can read just what better/best tables use to combat these issues. Some are relatively easy to DIY or at least approch good original solutions.

It is precisely in these areas modern TT, even most basic one, will usually outperform quite higher up on the food chain vintage model. They had 30 or so years to learn on the mistakes of their predecessors.

The most basic test - put the stylus in the run out groove on a stationary record and listen. First with cans - if tapping on the whatever your TT sits on is audible, that is wrong. If it sounds like a sinking ship, with metallic clanging noises or springs releasing etc - it is horrible. Repeat tapping on plinth of the TT, than its dustcover microphone - by now you should have an idea what is the largest culprit. Now you can repeat the experiment with loudspeakers - but advance the volume to the listening level slowly, only after establishing the whole setup does not start howling through structure or airborne feedback.

And if you after this test think your TT is the greatest piece of junk - think again: how many TTs are out there you can bang on them, even flick the on record rim with a fingernail while the stylus is in the groove and volume is at listening level - and there is STILL no excessive protest from the cans/speakers? VERY few - and they will invariably be the best sounding ones - you can bet, lots of good thinking and engineering went into making these TTs as quiet as possible, since low rumble is only the beggining of a quiet turntable, but by no means its end. 

@ everybody: if you think that your TT "can not possibly be affected by such" - think again. And make the test. There are quite high priced models out there that are very poor regarding this and there is the ultimate expression of clever cost effective thinking in that Kickstarter TT - and everything in between. I am certainly not saying Kickstarter TT can have better isolation than say a ten times pricier unit - I would only like you to pay attention to this and you will be able to decide better when purchasing a table or taking measures to improve sound from the equipment you have. The objecive is to find something with good sound at an acceptable price - what is the first and the second, only you can decide.

Apr 19, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #1,629 of 5,379
Quote:
Well, let's put it that way - why on earth you think great TTs come with great isolation support(s) ?
Why they use no microphone   dustcover, at least while playing a record ? I know you are on the toughest of budgets - but you can read just what better/best tables use to combat these issues. Some are relatively easy to DIY or at least approch good original solutions.
**snip**

I'm well aware of the tapping sounds getting transferred into the stylus, but I'm quite surprised at how little it travels up when I tap on the table or sides of the table.

It may not look like much, but the rack/shelf the TT is resting on is actually quite sturdy though made of MDF chipboard. The tabletop wood piece was taken from another desk that was taken apart, and that thing's pretty darn heavy and thick. I'm so glad I live in a concrete building, some people complained they can't even walk a lot around their TT because their wood floorboards are picking up their footsteps! Also the TT's feet has built in springs to absorb vibrations.
Yes the cover shouldn't even be called microphonic anymore, it should be called a microphone 
L3000.gif
 tapping on them sounds like small firecrackers going off in your cabinets. I want to try screaming at the stylus and hear whether it can detect my vocal vibrations. However, I really have to be honest that I cannot discern any difference between cover on and off.

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #1,630 of 5,379
Sorry for thr crappy cellphone pics, but i had to show this to you guys.

A
fter some weeks of research, i decided to pull the trigger on the RP1. Later i'll take some pictures with my camera. I'm so excited right now.

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #1,631 of 5,379
Quote:
Sorry for thr crappy cellphone pics, but i had to show this to you guys.

A
fter some weeks of research, i decided to pull the trigger on the RP1. Later i'll take some pictures with my camera. I'm so excited right now.

Why's your copy of Alligator yellow? :c 

Let us know how you like it! I'd love an RP1 but the Pro-Ject's under cut Rega's pricing by a bit. 

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #1,632 of 5,379
I personally prefer Rega. Pro-Ject has had some noise issue with their lower end tables.

They're basically the same thing though, honestly.

Quote:

Let us know how you like it! I'd love an RP1 but the Pro-Ject's under cut Rega's pricing by a bit. 

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #1,634 of 5,379
RamblinE, Beggars Banquet reissued all of The National albums on colored vinyl on 2011. I got Boxer (yellow) and The Virginia EP (yellow with black splatter). Here's the link for the discogs: http://www.discogs.com/National-Alligator/release/3120472 I'm still feeling RP1, but it's definetely clearer than my old technics, more detail, i can feel the instruments, and there's less surface noise. In a couple of days ill be able to say how it really feel. Later the pictures!

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #1,635 of 5,379
Quote:

I just picked p an RP1 for my Dad. It blew away the entry Pro-Ject and Music Hall tables. It's a fine TT, comparable to my older P2.
The new bakelite platter is very trick! It is also super easy to set-up if you stick with their recommended cartridges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back