Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Dec 19, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #1,021 of 5,380
I'm looking at a Classic 2 as a possible next step but I've heard VPI support horror stories. Also looking at Kuzma, Nottingham, Clear, WTL...Honestly any other brands to check out in the ~3k range would be appreciated. The rest of the budget will go into cart and phono stage.

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #1,022 of 5,380
Haha Morbid, didn't you just buy a VPI Scout? 
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #1,023 of 5,380
Yes, but one reason I bought it at all was I got a screamin' deal. Couldn't pass it up. 

The other thing to realize is that this Scout has revitalized my love of vinyl. I wasn't sure if it was something I wanted to plunge into so at a grand...I've tested the waters...and my CD player has hardly been turned on since. 

Now that our household is almost exclusively moving to analogue, we're already due for an upgrade. :D Make sense? 

Plus, I'll still have the Scout for quite awhile. I'm just planning ahead. Speakers, amp, stands are coming before the the new TT, and that's a lot of money in between. 

Quote:
Haha Morbid, didn't you just buy a VPI Scout? 
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #1,025 of 5,380
Quote:
Yes, but one reason I bought it at all was I got a screamin' deal. Couldn't pass it up. 

The other thing to realize is that this Scout has revitalized my love of vinyl. I wasn't sure if it was something I wanted to plunge into so at a grand...I've tested the waters...and my CD player has hardly been turned on since. 

Now that our household is almost exclusively moving to analogue, we're already due for an upgrade. :D Make sense? 

Plus, I'll still have the Scout for quite awhile. I'm just planning ahead. Speakers, amp, stands are coming before the the new TT, and that's a lot of money in between. 

Yeah, that's exactly what happened to me. Got my DAC a month before my Thorens. Haven't touched my digital front end in a few months. Doesn't matter that vinyl is "technically inferior," I happen to love the way it sounds 
wink.gif

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #1,026 of 5,380
My original plan was 3k, then it was 5k, then it went back down to 2k...and then I found the Scout I have now for 1k. 

After setting up and listening to the Scout I realize that my original fears of vinyl were unwarranted, and my original plan of 5k is where I'm going to end up in the end. :wink:

Next on the list (even before speakers) is frames for some of these gorgeous LPs I have though. My walls are somewhat bare right now, and I have to change that asap.

Quote:

Yeah, that's exactly what happened to me. Got my DAC a month before my Thorens. Haven't touched my digital front end in a few months. Doesn't matter that vinyl is "technically inferior," I happen to love the way it sounds 
wink.gif

Dec 19, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #1,028 of 5,380
Quote:

You may find that you like having the Scout around to play older records even after the upgrade. Some people play their older vinyl on a secondary deck where the needle is not so expensive as older scratched records can do damage to that 10K stylus. With the VPI arms interchangable a friend I know has two arm/needle combos, one for good new vinyl and one for edgy/old vinyl.

Dec 19, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #1,029 of 5,380
You may find that you like having the Scout around to play older records even after the upgrade. Some people play their older vinyl on a secondary deck where the needle is not so expensive as older scratched records can do damage to that 10K stylus. With the VPI arms interchangable a friend I know has two arm/needle combos, one for good new vinyl and one for edgy/old vinyl.

If it comes down to it and I have enough money I'll be doing that, or just getting a TT that fits 2 arms. Unfortunately the Classic 4 is a tough sell. Though Nottingham has quite a few offerings that fit 2 arms.

Dec 19, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #1,030 of 5,380
Update: Heard a Debut Carbon today. It's a very nice sounding table, great synergy between the tonearm and Ortofon 2M Red cart.

BUT: There's just too much motor noise, and the infamous Pro-ject hum. I'm afraid that's a deal breaker 
frown.gif
 I could always mount a Rega RB250 to my TD-145... 
rolleyes.gif

Yep, I think the Thorens is here to stay, at least until the money supply allows for a VPI.

Dec 19, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #1,031 of 5,380
Update: Heard a Debut Carbon today. It's a very nice sounding table, great synergy between the tonearm and Ortofon 2M Red cart.

BUT: There's just too much motor noise, and the infamous Pro-ject hum. I'm afraid that's a deal breaker :frowning2:  I could always mount a Rega RB250 to my TD-145... :rolleyes:

Yep, I think the Thorens is here to stay, at least until the money supply allows for a VPI.

Motor hum? I've never noticed that. Until recently I owned a Perspective that was dead quiet.
I resent you calling that 'infamous Pro-ject hum'. You judge their whole range by the cheapest offering and the cheapest decent TT there is. Not fair.

Maybe you should have tried with the Speedbox and a better platter like the one I showed above.

Dec 19, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #1,032 of 5,380
Quote:
Motor hum? I've never noticed that. Until recently I owned a Perspective that was dead quiet.
I resent you calling that 'infamous Pro-ject hum'. You judge their whole range by the cheapest offering and the cheapest decent TT there is. Not fair.
Maybe you should have tried with the Speedbox and a better platter like the one I showed above.

Google it. I'm hardly the first to describe the problem in that manner.

I would have tried a Speedbox if the dealer had one available. But I was actually very surprised how much vibration was coming from the motor. It definitely wasn't ground loop; I could feel it when I touched the plinth on the complete opposite side.

Edit: A little google-fu confirmed that the RPM series suffers from this problem as well. Too bad, they look pretty good otherwise.

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #1,033 of 5,380
nvm

Dec 21, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #1,034 of 5,380
Quote:

I find it difficult to believe that scratchy vinyl would ever actually harm a stylus.

Styli are made of very hard materials, industrial sapphires and the like.

Vinyl is, well, vinyl.

It's much more likely that a stylus would harm the vinyl than the other way around.

Dec 21, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #1,035 of 5,380
True but there's still something to be said about a more forgiving arm/cart combo.

Quote:

I find it difficult to believe that scratchy vinyl would ever actually harm a stylus.

Styli are made of very hard materials, industrial sapphires and the like.

Vinyl is, well, vinyl.

It's much more likely that a stylus would harm the vinyl than the other way around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back