Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Sep 13, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #781 of 5,380
There's a ton of good stuff there. Bad taste? Hardly.
Quote:
I see Johnny Cash in there. You're okay 
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #782 of 5,380
Quote:
Modded SL-1200MK2 - ZYX R100H MC cartridge - ZYX Artisan battery operated phono stage - An all-out Japanese assault

Very nice, love the matching cart/weight. What mat is that?

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #783 of 5,380
Quote:
Modded SL-1200MK2 - ZYX R100H MC cartridge - ZYX Artisan battery operated phono stage - An all-out Japanese assault

Corrugated cardboard mat? Looks interesting.

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #784 of 5,380
Sep 13, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #785 of 5,380
Quote:
Quote:

Very nice, love the matching cart/weight. What mat is that?

Thanks
smile.gif
  It's actually an outer periphery ring clamp with brass lugs on the underside for additional weight.  Here are some better pics...

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #786 of 5,380
Quote:
I'm the original owner of this 25 Year Anniversary model Linn LP12 that I purchased in 1997.  I upgraded nearly everything on it earlier this year including the Radikal power supply, Keel subchassis, Ekos SE tonearm and Akiva MC cartridge.  Setup of this turntable is important and I had one of the best in the business, Thomas at Overature Audio in Ann Arbor, perform a tune up on my LP12.

This is a real beauty that brings back fond memories.  LP12 (Trampolin) was a wonderfully colored TT to my ears.  Lovely stuff that never goes out of style either visually or sonically. 

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #787 of 5,380
Is the a custom clamp?

Quote:
Thanks
smile.gif
  It's actually an outer periphery ring clamp with brass lugs on the underside for additional weight.  Here are some better pics...

Sep 14, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #788 of 5,380
That clamp almost makes a Technics look good. I like the look of it but at the same time I'm wondering if it isn't a very time consuming way of making a heavy ring. I like to stick to KISS (or Ockhams Razor if you are feeling philosophic), less is more, minimalism, form follows function.

Somehow I have the distict feeling I'm undermining my own argument. :rolleyes:

The arm is the only thing I would suggest updating. The Funk Firm does incredible things with that. Have a look.

Originally Posted by calipilot227

I see Johnny Cash in there. You're okay

Yeah, I know, Miles is total crap, but it's a kind of must have for demonstrations... :wink:

And I know some really dislike PJ Harveys White Chalk. She can't sing, it sounds like crap and most of all: the album is way to short. :rolleyes:

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #789 of 5,380

That clamp almost makes a Technics look good. I like the look of it but at the same time I'm wondering if it isn't a very time consuming way of making a heavy ring. I like to stick to KISS (or Ockhams Razor if you are feeling philosophic), less is more, minimalism, form follows function.

The arm is the only thing I would suggest updating. The Funk Firm does incredible things with that. Have a look.

The Funk upgrades are not cheap
blink.gif
  $600 for the platter and $960 for the arm...in British pounds I might add
eek.gif

Quote:
Is the a custom clamp?

The ring is by TTWeights Audio but the brass lugs was something I glued on.

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #792 of 5,380
I prefer weights to clamps so I'll probably end up with one of each. If nothing else it adds a touch of class to most TTs, IMO. 

But the ring weight will especially help as I buy a lot of stuff from second hand shops.

Quote:
Correct.  It's a 200g lightweight clamp which is different from their weights.  The clamps are lighter and clamps the spindle as you rotate the top section.
Whereas, the weight is just a weight and is much heavier. 

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #793 of 5,380
Quote:
I prefer weights to clamps so I'll probably end up with one of each. If nothing else it adds a touch of class to most TTs, IMO. 

But the ring weight will especially help as I buy a lot of stuff from second hand shops

I prefer weights over clamps as well, however, putting too much weight on a smallish bearing (Technics 1200) will lead to premature bearing wear.

Most used record stores (in my area) price vinyl according to condition so if it's warped they usually give 30% off. 
Now that I have a periphery ring, record warps is the least of my worries...

Happy shopping dewd
cool.gif

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #794 of 5,380
The Funk upgrades are not cheap $600 for the platter and $960 for the arm...in British pounds I might add

Whoopsie! That sure ain't cheap! You must be a really, really convinced Technics direct drive fan if you are committing to such an upgrade. Which I am certainly and clearly not.

I have invested a lot of money in vinyl playback by now (and over >25 years I might add to my defense). I know it doesn't always have to cost a lot, but there are less shortcuts in vinyl playback then there are in CD-playback (forget that, CD is outdated) digital playback. I have always maintained the position that the LP is superior in quality, and still is. Against a storm of criticism, public opinion and peer pressure I might add. You won't believe the strange looks and faint smiles (must be an odd 'audiophile' freak) I've received over the years, and comments about 'nostalgia', 'ritual' and more of those terms more related to religion that just audio playback. All of those opinions mostly faded after 10 seconds of comparative listening... it's just no comparison. Ive spend a lot of money, but I think it's worth it and I enjoy it.

FIY: my cd-player is from China, completely modified by me, CS4397 DAC+5670 tubes. Plays <24/192 from CD or HD. All incl. cost about €300. Sound: almost as good as it gets in digital playback.
My hard disk playback: old broken windows laptop+ 1TB ext HD + 8" touchscreen + Musiland monitor 01US + 4xTDA1543 NOS DAC. €300. Plays 24/96. Sound; I wouldn't say better, different but more natural and absorbing.
Analog: Clearaudio Performance + Koetsu Urushi + Audio Innovations tranny + Jolida phono. I payed about €4000 new/2ndH + modified. Sound: if you are of the 'measuring is knowing' persuasion then it sounds absolutely crap. Well, it doesn't. Not really. :D It sounds like you can't stop playing till you can't keep your eyes open at 4 in the morning.

A decent turntable costs money. But it sure is worth it.

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #795 of 5,380
Seen it done before here and there doesn't seem to be a better place so I'll ask.

I was planning on going with an Ortofon 2M series cart on my upcoming TT, but after doing some calculations today I realized that would be a weird idea because of the stage I'm looking at. 

The Moon 310LP (via XLR) gives me adjustable gain from 46 to 72db. I'm now looking at low output MC carts. I could use the MM carts just fine, but I think an MC will be a better choice. 

Any recommendations at (max) $1000? I'm looking at the Zu DL-103, Ortofon Rondo Blue, and Benz Ace SL at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back