Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Apr 24, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #497 of 5,380
Here's my VPI Classic (cart is Soundsmith Zephyr):

It's been getting a lot of use this afternoon!

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #498 of 5,380
VPI classic owners FTW!!!  
beerchug.gif

nice.  i see you got the ring clamp as well.
i have a lot of mildly warped vinyl.  so i'm thinking the edge clamp might be my in my future.

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #499 of 5,380
I think the perimeter clamp makes the table look like the Millennium Falcon!!

:wink:

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #500 of 5,380

I don't think I'll ever part with my Technics. She'll probably out live me. Just got the TD-1200 fluid damper. Sibilance on some records is completely gone now. Lower noise floor across the board. HIGHLY recommended to SL-1200 owners.

Apr 25, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #502 of 5,380
Small update, huge difference:

The little built-in brush actually does a surprisingly good job of catching dust before it hits the needle

Apr 25, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #504 of 5,380

Quote:
I knew you'd like the Shure. Just out of curiosity, what alignment tool did you use? I'm still tweaking my alignment and I'm not sure which tool is best.

I used the included alignment tool

Apr 25, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #506 of 5,380
Trying using a cartridge protractor from Vinyl Engine. They have a bunch for a few different tables and some universal ones. The one for my Technics SL1200 worked like a charm. Sounds great!

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #507 of 5,380
Trying using a cartridge protractor from Vinyl Engine. They have a bunch for a few different tables and some universal ones. The one for my Technics SL1200 worked like a charm. Sounds great!

I've printed and used a couple from vinyl engine. They are difficult to use (the lines can be hard see) so I was curious if there was something easier.

Apr 26, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #508 of 5,380

Quote:
I've printed and used a couple from vinyl engine. They are difficult to use (the lines can be hard see) so I was curious if there was something easier.

It's true that they're a bit hard to see. Took me several hours to get it aligned properly. But hey, it's free and the Baerwald alignment sounds better than the Stevenson alignment that the stock tool provides.

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #509 of 5,380

Quote:

It's true that they're a bit hard to see. Took me several hours to get it aligned properly. But hey, it's free and the Baerwald alignment sounds better than the Stevenson alignment that the stock tool provides.

I've experimented with the Baerwald and Lofgren protractors, as well as a tangential arm (no overhang or offset angle) with mixed results.

It sounds good and seems aligned with the protractors, but the cartridge sits very forward below the headshell and sits off camber relative to the headshell. But that's the way it came out to align with the protractors and it sounds good, so I stuck with it.

I'll probably go back and experiment some more when I get in a vinyl mood again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back