Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Apr 1, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #481 of 5,383
I had my previous record store do it when I had it repaired and I haven't changed it, so unless I accidentally moved it when attaching and detaching styli, yes it is. And see my previous post, I apparently clicked submit as you did

Quote:
Is your cartridge aligned properly?

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #482 of 5,383
Also, I wanted to ask: Is it ok to use like a regular hand or bath towel to dry records vs the supplied cleaning cloths with my Spin Clean? These towels would be rougher yes but it's still fabric, could it scratch the records??

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #483 of 5,383
The issue there is that bath towels often have a lot of lint they could deposit on the record, even if the towels have just been washed and dried.

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #484 of 5,383
yeah, it's generally really a bad idea to use anything that could leave little traces and particles behind on your vinyl. I learned that the hard way as well, when I tried cleaning one with toilet paper and also a cloth...
it's best to invest those [size=small][/size]5 in a decent record cleaning brush :)

Here's another little question for the more experienced vinyl freaks. Shouldn't one have to re-adjust the anti-skate for 33 rpm and 45 rpm? I believe the centripetal force scales up with angular velocity (or revolutions per minute, rpm), if I remember my physics lectures correctly. So for 45 rpm the needle will be forced more inwards if you don't compensate the anti-skate when it was set up at 33 rpm. 

Not that I ever do it, I set it correctly for 33 rpm a while ago. I just hope I'm not destroying my 45 rpm LP's... But they sound fine. Was just wondering, seeing as though there's almost twice as much force acting on the needle: (45/33)^2 = 1,85.

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #485 of 5,383
Within my almost 20 years playing records, I've never come across that question or thought before.  Though it makes sense to me.  Interesting.  Though, that might be, well actually yes this is why, is because I have a VPI JMW arm without the anti-skate attachment, using just the wire coil twist that VPI has.  So anti-skate isn't much of a tweak I can make.  And really, it's always been either a hair too much, or a hair not enough.  So I'm like, alright, stop caring about it.  I can't remember if the Audioquest arm or SOTA arm/table I had have that adjustment or not.  If so, it was probably just set to match a number for the tracking force.  If it's 2, then turn the dial to 2.

I've read some say it's gotta be PERFECT!  Others don't care so much about anti-skate.  Similar to Rega downplaying VTA adjustments with their arms.

Sorry, I'm of no help, but you could be onto something.  Or not.  
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #486 of 5,383
I used to play some 45s (the ones I talked about earlier) and I'd put the needle on and if I didn't go like 30secs into the record the needle would fly off the record onto the rubber mat (after many occurrences of this I replaced the needle, very first one of the three I've talked about). I upped the anti-skate a bit (almost at max now) and not I don't have to go in so far but the outer edge before the record starts still doesn't hold the needle.Oh lord, now I wonder if my anti skate is right and if it's messing up my records... :p

Apr 10, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #488 of 5,383
Nice, J-Pak. Those were definitely worth a Google search!

Apr 14, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #489 of 5,383
Couple new ones from VPI.  

Entry level, new tonearm design, aluminum platter.

http://www.vpiindustries.com/table-traveler.htm

The other, a Classic 4.  Notice two tonearms.

Apr 15, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #490 of 5,383
Why does this always happen? Someone buys the stuff I'm looking at buying and posts pictures to taunt me. 

Happened with my Calyx 24/192, and now it happened with the Nottingham. 

Either way...I'm really looking forward to the say that deck hits my doorstep.

Quote:
My Nottingham Spacedeck and Zyx R50 Bloom (click to biggify)

Apr 19, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #492 of 5,383

Quote:
Still building system, so far systemdek, Linn and oracle

Beautiful! I love the Oracle deck. I guess I just have a thing for glass, haha. Or is that just the shelf that it sits on?

On a side note, 999 posts (Nein Nein Nein!!!!) 
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #494 of 5,383
My budget system: Audio-Technica AT-PL120 turntable w/ Shure M97xE cartridge.  Not "Audiophile" quality, but sounds good to me.

Apr 22, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #495 of 5,383
Just slapped that cartridge on my PL-518. I didn't realize how bad my 30 year old Stanton cartridge was until I tried the M97 
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back