Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Dec 10, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #256 of 5,380
No doubt that most of what I own on vinyl is classic rock from the 70's and 80's.  And since I am 45 years old, that suits me fine.

However, I like several genres of metal a LOT, and I have a bunch of modern Symphonic goth metal (Nightwish, Delain, Theater of Tragedy) on vinyl, and it sounds killer :wink: And there is a TON of great classic Metal on vinyl of course.

That said, if you have no interest in that, I can understand your point.

Dec 10, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #257 of 5,380
$50 for that many? At my record store new ones (not even sealed) are like $15-20 each...
I know it's a ripoff but they have good customer service.

Quote:
I would have a hard time buying a turntable too if my taste were largely new music.  Sure, lots of music gets released these days on vinyl, but as much as I like my turntable, I have an awful hard time justifying a new vinyl purchase over the cd, when I know that the music was all mastered digitally anyways.  Also, the vast majority of new (even 180 or 200g) vinyl pressings are pretty bad compared to what was being put out in its heyday of the 60's and 70's.  The best part of having a turntable, to me, is being able to drop into a record store and come out with 10-15 new (to me) albums for less than $50, and for access to the old masterings of the many albums that do sound better on vinyl than their modern digital releases.

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #258 of 5,380

Quote:
I would have a hard time buying a turntable too if my taste were largely new music.  Sure, lots of music gets released these days on vinyl, but as much as I like my turntable, I have an awful hard time justifying a new vinyl purchase over the cd, when I know that the music was all mastered digitally anyways.  Also, the vast majority of new (even 180 or 200g) vinyl pressings are pretty bad compared to what was being put out in its heyday of the 60's and 70's.  The best part of having a turntable, to me, is being able to drop into a record store and come out with 10-15 new (to me) albums for less than $50, and for access to the old masterings of the many albums that do sound better on vinyl than their modern digital releases.

I actually wonder if the studios go to the trouble to master the LP and CD versions separately. The requirements for the two are quite different (LPs have mono bass, rolled-off treble in the center of the disc, more compression, etc.) and would require extra effort (and expense) to do right.

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #259 of 5,380

Quote:
I actually wonder if the studios go to the trouble to master the LP and CD versions separately. The requirements for the two are quite different (LPs have mono bass, rolled-off treble in the center of the disc, more compression, etc.) and would require extra effort (and expense) to do right.

In many cases they do indeed, and in fact, this is why some people often lament that the LP versions of new releases sound better than the CD versions, not because LP is a better format, but because the LP mastering is better, and most specifically, often less brick walled.

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #260 of 5,380
The SACD and Vinyl cuts of Norah Jones' Come Away With Me were superior to the CD relase. Only one I can attest to personally. I'm sure there's more

Quote:
In many cases they do indeed, and in fact, this is why some people often lament that the LP versions of new releases sound better than the CD versions, not because LP is a better format, but because the LP mastering is better, and most specifically, often less brick walled.

Dec 10, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #262 of 5,380

Quote:
$50 for that many? At my record store new ones (not even sealed) are like $15-20 each...
I know it's a ripoff but they have good customer service.

I'm talking used, not new.  Most used record stores around here price almost everything except the obviously rare stuff between .99 and $7.  I've picked up an awful lot of extremely nice albums this way - and as I alluded to above, even run-of-the-mill commercial recordings from the 60's and 70's are often remarkably good.  I have a number that are nearly dead silent.

Dec 10, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #263 of 5,380
Oh ok. My record shop that I go to, the one I mentioned, sells 'em as is for $0.50 and $3 too. I listened to a couple I got a few months ago finally (turntable needed service big time) and they have some permanent damage but after listening most of the sibilance and popping is gone. I noticed after cleaning in my Spin Clean when I took records out of the sleeves there was STILL DUST! BLASPHEMY! :p probably from the cleaning cloths I use

BTW, anyone else here use a Spin Clean? http://www.spincleanrecordwasher.com/

Quote:

I'm talking used, not new.  Most used record stores around here price almost everything except the obviously rare stuff between .99 and $7.  I've picked up an awful lot of extremely nice albums this way - and as I alluded to above, even run-of-the-mill commercial recordings from the 60's and 70's are often remarkably good.  I have a number that are nearly dead silent.

Dec 10, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #264 of 5,380

Quote:
Oh ok. My record shop that I go to, the one I mentioned, sells 'em as is for $0.50 and $3 too. I listened to a couple I got a few months ago finally (turntable needed service big time) and they have some permanent damage but after listening most of the sibilance and popping is gone. I noticed after cleaning in my Spin Clean when I took records out of the sleeves there was STILL DUST! BLASPHEMY! :p probably from the cleaning cloths I use

I use dishsoap and a 2" paintbrush in the kitchen sink.

I never put clean albums in an old sleeve. I buy new sleeves 50 at a time.

Dec 10, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #265 of 5,380
I put them in a new sleeve too, and if the sleeve has pics etc on it I keep in in the cardboard alongside the record in the new sleeve.

Quote:
I use dishsoap and a 2" paintbrush in the kitchen sink.

I never put clean albums in an old sleeve. I buy new sleeves 50 at a time.

Dec 11, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #267 of 5,380
I'm thinking of putting together a modest vinyl rig, mainly just because I've never heard vinyl before and some of the albums I want to listen to were only made on vinyl. My dad has an older turntable called the Toshiba SR-B2L and I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with it, I searched for it online but didn't find much. It was made in 1982 and is belt-driven. I doubt its seen any use in the past 15-20 years and I was wondering if it would be worth bothering with it or just saving up for something else. The fact that I found one on craigslist for $20 makes me think it might not be very good, but you never know.
I can try and get a picture of it tomorrow so I'm not too off topic, but its really nothing special, the casing is all plastic not that I mind if it sounds good.

Dec 11, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #268 of 5,380
Quote:

I have one. I used it yesterday to clean 30 LPs. I think a means of properly cleaning records is essential if you buy a lot of used records. The records I pick up from Charity shops, etc. are often filthy. There was a lot of dirt collected in the bottom of the washer once I had finished!

Used records look A LOT better after being put through the Spin Clean. That said, once dried you can sometimes see a residue/water mark in the right light (I use de-ionised water too) and some of the tougher spots of crime aren't always removed. I also think the Spin Clean is a lot of money for what it is; a plastic tray, some brushes and cleaning fluid (which isn't that expensive to buy separately). Still, it's a lot cheaper than a fully automatic vacuum cleaner!

Dec 11, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #269 of 5,380
I cleaned a few used ones yesterday and the record was actually kinda damaged. Cleaning my stylus helped a tiny bit, but it still sounded bad. A Rare Earth album, the guitars and vocals sound so harsh :frowning2: It was probably played under bad conditions with a bad needle. There was a guy that had a portable record player that used a NAIL as a needle I heard about :S

I hope to get a vacuum cleaner someday, since I find it annoying to clean records by hand without touching them. Also, why the clockwise motion for cleaning with this thing? What's the deal? I like to hold the record with one cloth in my left hand and extend my thumb as far as it goes applying pressure so the whole diameter of the record up to the part before the label with no content and use my fight hand holding the other cloth to turn the record counter clockwise while applying pressure with my left thumb and that gets 'em clean after a bit more than a few rotations each side.

Quote:

I have one. I used it yesterday to clean 30 LPs. I think a means of properly cleaning records is essential if you buy a lot of used records. The records I pick up from Charity shops, etc. are often filthy. There was a lot of dirt collected in the bottom of the washer once I had finished!

Used records look A LOT better after being put through the Spin Clean. That said, once dried you can sometimes see a residue/water mark in the right light (I use de-ionised water too) and some of the tougher spots of crime aren't always removed. I also think the Spin Clean is a lot of money for what it is; a plastic tray, some brushes and cleaning fluid (which isn't that expensive to buy separately). Still, it's a lot cheaper than a fully automatic vacuum cleaner!

Dec 11, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #270 of 5,380
I tried the clear dish soap and warm water method yesterday (in the kitchen sink), and one of my Jimi Hendrix albums that was absolutely trashed when I bought it (at a flea market) played almost flawlessly. there's still a few pops from time to time, but I think that's probably caused more by record wear than by dirt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back