Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Sep 15, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #5,281 of 5,380
Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 12:49 AM Post #5,283 of 5,380
As I already shared. It's, already really even. I played Björk-Post that has some deep electronic bass and it sounds like it should. It's the track I used a long time ago to find that my Reference3A speakers did something weird in the bass. I only measured with my phone (spectroid app) but I got down to 30Hz.

You shouldn't be alarmed by my account. It's just the physics of breaking in the suspension. It's normal. The manufacturer has stated a break in time of 30h but after an hour it already sounds great.

Sep 16, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #5,284 of 5,380
As I already shared. It's, already really even. I played Björk-Post that has some deep electronic bass and it sounds like it should. It's the track I used a long time ago to find that my Reference3A speakers did something weird in the bass. I only measured with my phone (spectroid app) but I got down to 30Hz.

You shouldn't be alarmed by my account. It's just the physics of breaking in the suspension. It's normal. The manufacturer has stated a break in time of 30h but after an hour it already sounds great.
Ah yes, somehow I missed you had mentioned the bass is where it should be. Reading too fast today!

I get that run in is real, but I've almost never heard bass improve a ton w MCs in this price range (eg dl-103, hana el). Glad to hear this one punches so far above its weight!

Sep 16, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #5,285 of 5,380
To differentiate; there's mechanical run-in and chemical run-in, also electrical. For transducers that convert electrical energy to movement and vice versa, that is speakers, microphones and pick-up cartridges (excluding guitar because there it's the strings) there is almost always rubber involved that needs to loosen up. A material of long polymers that are jumbled and stuck together. When it loosens up the tensile strength of the long molecules is still there but more like in a rope, seperate threads. This can hardly be disputed.

The controversy is usually around settling in of electrical circuits, cables, capacitors, resistors and (potted) coils. There are certain chemical processes that need to find a stabile state. I don't see anything much like that going on in a moving coil.

Another thing is the difference between copper and silver. Why would they sound different if the wire measures the same? I didn't choose this cartridge for nothing as I very much prefer silver for it's open sound. I already changed a lot of cables to silver and I can clearly (pun intended) hear the difference. My 2 SUT's are also silver. I'm so glad I never sold that first Audio Innovations T1000 (same as Audio Note AN-S4). I bought that new in 1990 for eq €800. The second I bought 2nH in Italy recently for €300. I guess he didn't know what he had.

Just a note on Audio Note.
I respect the brand but some things I dislike. The mumbo jumbo, the incredibly high prices and not disclosing prices. They really know how to mystify the use of step up transformers. A SUT doesn't have impedance! It only has a ratio of windings. It's 1:10, 1:14 or 1:20. All you need to know is to square the ratio to calculate your impedance the cartridge sees from your phono preamps input 47k Ohms. And that you need a minimal of 4 times more than your cartridges internal impedance.

Rule of thumb calculation
So if your cartridge is 100 ohms you need a 1:10. 47000/10²=470. If your mc gives 0.3mV it becomes 3mV.
If you take a 1:14 you get 47k/14²=240 you can accommodate most LO-MC's from 3 to 60 Ohm.
If you use the 1:20 for stupid low output MC's you will have 47k/20²= 117 Ohm. Not recommended for general use. It starts getting complicated when you stray to far off the 4 to 10 times rule because then your frequency curve starts to get curbed. You control the damping of your cartridge the same way a tube amplifier does with 4-16 Ohm output taps. That's why my T1000 has a switch for 2 different taps (high/low) which you can hear.

I'm also very curious about the cartridge with ceramic cantilever. It also comes in a silver wire version for $100 extra.
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005005981008918.html?pdp_npi=3@dis!EUR!€ 418,77!€ 381,08!!!!!@211b88f016945348146155270ef685!12000035160260215!sh!NL!2248664979

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #5,286 of 5,380
30 minutes later...
I swapped 2 cartridges on 2 arms and aligned them. I did start sweating though. Look at those scary thin silver leads. This goes to the SUT and from there to the modified Chinese EAR 834 clone with seperate power supply that costs a whopping $150. I did put vintage Phillips ECC82 and Sprague Vitamin Q caps in. So not to my Gold Note ph10.

IMG_20230917_054029.jpg

What a combo. It sounds clear, musical, big and bold, wide and deep and sooo sweet. I'm going to keep it like this. I really like it.

Nov 19, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #5,287 of 5,380
Where we are today:

IMG_1411.jpeg

An Ortofon ST-M72 SUT should be arriving tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how well it matches the SPU #1E.

BTW, I picked up a backup #1E for 350€ from a retailer in Paris. Brand new. That’s what Ortofon charges for a retip…

Nov 19, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #5,288 of 5,380
Where we are today:

IMG_1411.jpeg

An Ortofon ST-M72 SUT should be arriving tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how well it matches the SPU #1E.

BTW, I picked up a backup #1E for 350€ from a retailer in Paris. Brand new. That’s what Ortofon charges for a retip…
Beautiful. Just beautiful.

In my experience a SUT on MM sounds better than any solid state MC input. And an investment that lasts longer that this turntable without ever wearing or using power.

I just ordered a second Chinese cartridge with super elliptical stylus, silver coils and a ceramic cantilever. For even less! I can't get my Koetsu retipped for that. And the sound quality is the same. Heck, I got two super cartridges for that money. At some time I will get a top model with sapphire cantilever. For now I'm looking forward to how a ceramic cantilever turns out.

Nov 24, 2023 at 4:42 AM Post #5,289 of 5,380
Earlier this year I upgraded to the Rega Planar 3 50th Anniversary turntable, from a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. I've been very happy with this decision so far, running into a Classic Audio Ltd Spartan 5 phono pre-amp.

403604395_7098862120189315_3531823041871757763_n.jpg

Nov 24, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #5,290 of 5,380
That’s a very nice looking table, my good buddy has the 40th Anni :thumbsup: he did the groove tracer upgrade to it and is on his third Exact! I’m sure you’ll get many hours of enjoyment with it:beerchug:

Nov 24, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #5,291 of 5,380
So I take it you're nor a Fidler but rather like it Spartan... 🙄

Nice clean setup. Also: good record (I bought the original back then).

I just read your review. First time I saw the site. Maybe, probably, there is much more to explore with a better cartridge, maybe even an MC. Then you'll notice that you're just at the start of a long journey. The phono amplification is often underrated. But also cartridges. Often a TT comes with a budget cartridge where a far better cartridge would fit (wouldn't it be great if they didn't wear?). But also: a super TT with a $10 AT91 carbon can make music that sounds incredible. It is kind of personal who you believe. It's a journey of exploration. You made a good start.

Nov 29, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #5,292 of 5,380
I just noticed this review from days before you mentioned it. Another reviewer. Always good to get a second opinion. What worries me is that it uses just 2 opamps. That can be a bit of a stretch, 40dB. Not much headroom.

I just got some new vinyl and I thought I'd test my new 'music on vinyl' pressing of Moloko - 'Things to make and do' on my cheap-a$$ EAR834 clone (modified of course). If you can read and you're good with a soldering iron... (change just a few caps and the tubes) That sounds really good. Musically as enjoyable as my Gold Note PH10+PSU. Only by far not as versatile and a bit more loose. I wish I could have bought this 30 years ago.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #5,293 of 5,380
I just noticed this review from days before you mentioned it. Another reviewer. Always good to get a second opinion. What worries me is that it uses just 2 opamps. That can be a bit of a stretch, 40dB. Not much headroom.

I just got some new vinyl and I thought I'd test my new 'music on vinyl' pressing of Moloko - 'Things to make and do' on my cheap-a$$ EAR834 clone (modified of course). If you can read and you're good with a soldering iron... (change just a few caps and the tubes) That sounds really good. Musically as enjoyable as my Gold Note PH10+PSU. Only by far not as versatile and a bit more loose. I wish I could have bought this 30 years ago.

Funny you mention headroom as the Spartan phono stages have loads more headroom than most phono stages out there, and far surpass the specs of models costing 4x as much :)

The designer knows what he's doing, he's making accurate phono stages without a middleman adding additional costs, if you want colouration look elsewhere.

Nov 30, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #5,294 of 5,380
Funny you mention headroom as the Spartan phono stages have loads more headroom than most phono stages out there, and far surpass the specs of models costing 4x as much :)

The designer knows what he's doing, he's making accurate phono stages without a middleman adding additional costs, if you want colouration look elsewhere.
I didn't mean to say it's bad. I have made a few amps with opamps and I know from experience how far you can take an opamp. You can make a decent budget phono preamp with just 1. Don't forget you must also work the RIAA curve in there. That's a 40dB swing, 20dB in the bass on top of your base amplification.
When I compare the ones I have with 1 opamp to the ones with 2 opamps, there's a marked difference in ease and clarity. No matter what caps I use.
It's very hard to compete against Chinese products that simply copy a proven design with good parts and low labour cost. The opamps are not the bulk of the cost (a nice case much more so).

I was trying to endorse it with this review. Don't forget where I am after 41 years in vinyl. I'm comparing it to my Gold Note PH10+ PS10 (which is not better than the 3>2 opamp, no tube, no dual output modification of my jolida jd9 (/black ice fusion 9 s#itshow)). I learned a lot from that one. Also what some reviewers think is great value is just overpriced daisy chained white-paper shoehorned idiocy. The Spartan is NOT that! You need ears not engineers (ASR?) to test that.

That's all I'm saying. And that's a compliment for entry level gear.

Btw, this is a picture thread.
Here's a picture of my new incomingbcartridge (ETA next week). Ceramic cantilever, super elliptical stylus, silver wire, ebony, carbon, Alu body. 0.4 mV 4 Ohm. Beat that for value at €320.
IMG_20231129_233915.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back