Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
May 18, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #4,021 of 5,379
I still don't get it.
redface.gif
I will give the Decca a spin then.

But nonetheless, Analogsurviver, you could try to edit what you quote to be more clear about what you are aiming at. Especially in a photo-thread it's not funny to see large post continually integrally quoted. It's not that difficult or time-consuming, just a matter of discipline.

My preferred test-record is... none at all.
frown.gif
They always manage to depress me with what my just acquired $$$$ cartridge won't do. One useful feature is a disc with a blank spot (grooveless) to set antiskating.

Try this (same from the Decca disc...) : ....That's what we mean by - separation 
evil_smiley.gif
 ! ( not to mention feather dropping 
wink.gif
 )

(all of the above is meant to lure out jeep (who is not a car, I know ! ) into actually listening to this funny test record from Decca.
I HAVE JUST CHECKED FOR THE DECCA RECORD IN JEEP'S POST - IT IS A DUTCH VERSION I AM NOT AWARE OF !!! Mine says How to give yourself a stereo check out " http://www.discogs.com/No-Artist-How-To-Give-Yourself-A-Stereo-Check-Out/release/630400  
And speaks in proper English, witty, funny, creates good laugh upon the first hearing.
It really is infested with British humour - but wittingly illustrates the capabilities and limitations in phono playback , without having to resort to real test records and oscilloscope. It does provide for a reasonably good setup - at least you're not going to ruin your records if your equipment does well on it. And bonus is a really good recording (excerpt ? ) of Kodaly's Jarry Janos suite.

I have amassed enough test records to test to the limit any cartridge - and my "torture course" is nothing any manufacturer would ever like to see published. But there are ( 
frown.gif
 were, used to be, once upon a time,.., 
frown.gif
) cartridges that would, although $$$$ then and even more so today, not depress you on decent test records.

Recently, a NOS sample of Shure V15VMR ( manufactured in the USA, not  later production from Mexico, with serial number on the STYLUS (as it should be, not just generic type designation ), signed frequency response and channel separation report ) sold for over 1000 EUR (1045 IIRC ) on ebay - it is one of the candidates not to depress one with its performance on test records. And I did manage to get the  V15VMR sounding practically indistinguishable from  very good MCs - unfortunately, no funds for such things at the moment, even if and when I am fully aware of the quality and value.

The use of the blank record for antiskating is only good for linear tracking arms - it should not skate anywhere - BUT IT IS INAPPROPRIATE for pivoted arms. It can be used to establish neutral starting point - otherwise,  different styli shapes (and sometimes different suspensions ! ) require more or less antiskating for proper tracking of highly modulated discs than established by a blank grooveles test record method.

May 18, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #4,022 of 5,379
It can be used to establish neutral starting point - otherwise, different styli shapes (and sometimes different suspensions ! ) require more or less antiskating for proper tracking of highly modulated discs than established by a blank grooveles test record method.

See, that's what you get from watching youtube tutorials by some young DJ who thinks he knows vinyl (and worships the SL1200 as the end all and be all of TT's)... :frowning2: I know that it isn't that simple. But it seemed so temptingly simple with the grooveless test.
It is a matter of geometrics and force. The force being the drag on the needletip. And that is different on round, elliptical or hyperelliptical needles.

Q: Which relative do you visit on Record Store Day? A: Auntie Skate. :p

May 18, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #4,023 of 5,379
Today I scored my first colored vinyl record from a goodwill store: Herman Brood and His Wild Romance "Shpritsz" (1978).

1cb15ed058d26cd8e3f990bda3da7afc.jpg

It's so pretty. And it's a good album also. Sounds a bit like delta rock from southern states although it's a Dutch band :)
And it even came with a (black) bonus LP: 'Herman Brood Live'. All this for 2 euros.

A nice excuse to post a picture :xf_eek:

May 18, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #4,024 of 5,379

Thanks for posting a picture of your turntable and the nice green record.

May 18, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #4,025 of 5,379

SL-1200Mk2 with Ortofon OM30

May 18, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #4,026 of 5,379
Good one!  Looks like we're back on track with this thread.

Nothing fancy but if you like Brazilian jazz ...........

May 18, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #4,027 of 5,379
Today I scored my first colored vinyl record from a goodwill store: Herman Brood and His Wild Romance "Shpritsz" (1978). It's so pretty. And it's a good album also. Sounds a bit like delta rock from southern states although it's a Dutch band :)
And it even came with a (black) bonus LP: 'Herman Brood Live'. All this for 2 euros.

Never would have thought to see Herman Brood (pr. Bro'd) here, and from Suomi! He was one archetypal rocker. He was a famous painter as well. Gave the owner of a museum exhibiting his paintings a near heart-attack when he took a spraycan out of his leather jacket and started 'reworking' one of his own paintings. "What the hell are you doing?!!!" "Well, it's my painting and I don't think it's quite finished.":cool: He didn't get very old though (depressed, took a nosedive off a highrise).

No excuse necessary to post pictures.

Edit:
The Decca testrecord is quite fun to listen to actually. Even in Dutch the Britisch humour seeps through. The grooveless part is driving me crazy though. :mad: No matter what force I set it just races to the spindle like no time to waste. And, ehm.... I got L+R switched somehow and never noticed it. :redface:

May 19, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #4,028 of 5,379
Today I scored my first colored vinyl record from a goodwill store: Herman Brood and His Wild Romance "Shpritsz" (1978). It's so pretty. And it's a good album also. Sounds a bit like delta rock from southern states although it's a Dutch band :)

Never would have thought to see Herman Brood (pr. Bro'd) here, and from Suomi!

Hehe, it's a small planet after all :D

May 19, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #4,029 of 5,379
I got the joke, said the idiot... duh. :rolleyes: The Decca testrecord has some recognizable real life sounds to test the realism of your system. Introduced by a badly tuned piano that gets thrown out of the window...

What I also noticed is that my Dutch version has a rather discernable 50Hz hum on the record and some tape anomalies. I guess that makes it a real Decca then...

May 19, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #4,030 of 5,379
Never would have thought to see Herman Brood (pr. Bro'd) here, and from Suomi! He was one archetypal rocker. He was a famous painter as well. Gave the owner of a museum exhibiting his paintings a near heart-attack when he took a spraycan out of his leather jacket and started 'reworking' one of his own paintings. "What the hell are you doing?!!!" "Well, it's my painting and I don't think it's quite finished."
cool.gif
He didn't get very old though (depressed, took a nosedive off a highrise).

No excuse necessary to post pictures.

Edit:
The Decca testrecord is quite fun to listen to actually. Even in Dutch the Britisch humour seeps through. The grooveless part is driving me crazy though.
mad.gif
No matter what force I set it just races to the spindle like no time to waste. And, ehm.... I got L+R switched somehow and never noticed it.
redface.gif

I even have a 'Brood' trommel
biggrin.gif

May 19, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #4,032 of 5,379

For a moment I thought he was singing I wanna B3.  I'm goin' Hell yeah.

May 22, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #4,033 of 5,379
Here is an article I wanted to share (but forgot). So here it is: Why vinyl hype is destroying the record. As the famous Johan Cruijff said: "every disadvantage has it's advantage", or the advantage of being the underdog. But now the major label are at it again with the same greed.

The introduction of the CD at the beginning of the 1980s was a self-made economic miracle. The development of the new format was supposed to pay for itself as soon as possible, so the silver discs were sold at highly inflated prices in the early years. Thanks to “digital”, back then the magic word, record companies could sell their entire back catalog a second time and with alleged better sound, no scratches, longer playing times (with bonus tracks!) and in a smaller, more practical format.

There was a gold rush at Sony and the other majors, and it’s hard to shake the feeling that the labels are trying to sell their archive a third time, this time to middle-aged buyers who can remember buying vinyl, naturally switched over to the CD, sold or threw away their old vinyl and aren’t completely happy with streaming today. A look at the vinyl section of a large Berlin store proves the shelves are full of reissues of old titles, mostly from major labels.

If this is the case – and the pressing plants are denying it – it would mean that the majors are attempting to buy their way into an industry that they played a significant role in destroying. And they are attempting once again to starve the indie labels, the very labels that never gave up on vinyl.

May 22, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #4,035 of 5,379
Nothing new, really. Just ask Pink Floyd and Star Wars fans about special editions, rare editions, limited special editions, previously unreleased digital remasters... You get the idea. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back