Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Dec 19, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #3,691 of 5,380
That's very unfortunate, but this wasn't bad. A good age and with all his family around him. But that is why I say that you better visit old people while they are still alive, there is still so much you can learn from them. They have so much experience. In out society centered on marketing where everyone is young and attractive we tend to forget that all that is so superficial. That is not what makes people interesting. I am volunteering in a house for the elderly so I know. The lack of attention and respect sometimes disturbs me.

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #3,692 of 5,380
In $ it's a nice enough price. but it's the same in €. And that's not the same price... (almost $900, £599 is even more). It's direct competition is fi a Pro-ject RPM 5.1 or 1Xpression Carbon incl. 2M red. Just for comparison from a European perspective... I don't think that will very complicated.

C-net is really not the best place to get a review of a turntable (or any hifi-equipment) from. This review does not come across as very 'savvy'. Not a word on soundstage perception, detailretrieval or anything that defines a hifi-, let alone, high-end turntable. Al I read him saying is 'tight bass'. Comparing to the SL1200: 'clearer sounding' and in comparison the VPI traveller sounds 'lacklustre'.

The author of that article is Steve Guttenberg and he's been around the audio block a few times, and has been writing about audio for at least 15 years. He's written articles regarding high end audio for multiple publications and websites including Listener, Stereophile, Inner Fidelity, Sound and Vision and others. He's familiar with high end analog.

As far as the article not being very saavy and the lack of audiophile lingo, it's a freaking DJ turntable! His article is not intended to review the TT for audiophiles. I can't imagine most DJ's or youngsters who might be interested in the Pioneer would give a flying frig about "soundstage perception"

It may not have been your intention, but your post comes across as pompous.

Dec 20, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #3,693 of 5,380
Dec 20, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #3,694 of 5,380
I am not being pompous but I am running tired of again and again explaining why DJ TT's are not the same as hifi TT's and why they should be treated as such. Furthermore you are sort of calling the kettle black because I did read the article and I am aware of his credentials, but in the same article I do remember him saying that he does not know anything about turntables and he had to bring in a friend to help him.

Dec 20, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #3,695 of 5,380
I am not being pompous but I am running tired of again and again explaining why DJ TT's are not the same as hifi TT's and why they should be treated as such. 

Then please stop because we are all tired of you repeating your opinion.
You are negatively judging something that many are fond of and it is tiring.
It gets in the way of sharing mutual affection for turntables.

Dec 20, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #3,696 of 5,380
I am not being pompous but I am running tired of again and again explaining why DJ TT's are not the same as hifi TT's and why they should be treated as such. Furthermore you are sort of calling the kettle black because I did read the article and I am aware of his credentials, but in the same article I do remember him saying that he does not know anything about turntables and he had to bring in a friend to help him.

Reading comprehension problems?

Maybe you should re-read the article because not once does the author mention that "he does not know anything about turntables" and the friends that he had "help" him simply brought over a couple of different cartridges mounted to headshells and the classic Technics DJ deck, so that they could experiment with different carts and compare it to the DJ reference.

Mr. Gutenberg had a Linn LP-12 for years along with a VDH Frog cartridge. I believe he now uses one of the VPI Classic models. Hardly the equipment of a guy who knows nothing about turntables. I don't really believe that you were aware of the authors credentials and now you are just back-pedaling instead of admitting (like any grown man would) that you were mistaken.

Another quote from the article... "Most audiophiles never got on-board with direct-drive turntables, which is why the vast majority of high-end turntables are belt-drive designs." It seems the author predicted your reaction perfectly.

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #3,697 of 5,380
Guys! Lighten up!

Dec 21, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #3,701 of 5,380
I don't have any problems reading or comprehending. Fullnine is quoting me from weeks ago. So wow. You must feel really well right now for catching me on something I don't quite remember from way back. Kudos.

And again, you try writing in Dutch, or German or French and wait for the reaction how you come across... I am trying very hard on my language, in a foreign language, and you manage to read what I don't intend. Again, very nice.

On the other hand, reading my own comment weeks later let's me read it from a distance and now I see what you mean. Using the word "savvy" isn't very fortunate here and it does set a trend. That was not my intention. I was primarily thinking about using the right words, spelling, grammar and after all that try to think what I am trying to say. When I compare my own writing to the British magazines I normally read I do feel very inept. But said C-net review does come across as very casual. So casual that it has hardly any substance. So mayby the way I say it leaves room for improvement, but that doesn't change quality of the review(s on C-net).

The author of that article is Steve Guttenberg and he's been around the audio block a few times, and has been writing about audio for at least 15 years. He's written articles regarding high end audio for multiple publications and websites including Listener, Stereophile, Inner Fidelity, Sound and Vision and others. He's familiar with high end analog.

As far as the article not being very saavy and the lack of audiophile lingo, it's a freaking DJ turntable! His article is not intended to review the TT for audiophiles. I can't imagine most DJ's or youngsters who might be interested in the Pioneer would give a flying frig about "soundstage perception"

It may not have been your intention, but your post comes across as pompous.

I did read it again. If he has been writing for 15 years (freelance writer for Home Theater, Inner Fidelity, Tone Audio, and Stereophile) and manages to come up with something like this really makes me wonder. "Pioneer's new super-solid PLX-1000 turntable shakes up the Audiophiliac." I suppose I'm no 'audiophiliac' because his review doesn't move me at all.

Dec 21, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #3,702 of 5,380
Poor jeep.

Dec 21, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #3,704 of 5,380
And again, you try writing in Dutch, or German or French and wait for the reaction how you come across... I am trying very hard on my language, in a foreign language, and you manage to read what I don't intend. Again, very nice.

]eep, you've had this happen to you before.  I understand it.  Personally, I'm impressed with your ability to write in English.  I cannot speak any other language and I imagine it's tough.  Sometimes though, there's no need to speak up.  Broken record... (punchline)

Here's my current rig.  Cheers, mates.

Grado Sonats - VPI Travels - Schiit Mani - Schiit Mjolnir - Senn 650

Dec 21, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #3,705 of 5,380

Nice!  Clean and neat.  Bet it sounds excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back