Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Aug 10, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #3,346 of 5,379
Aug 13, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #3,348 of 5,379

Interesting article. Record buyers who have giant collections believe that their collections are worth an umpteen amount of dollars but you could figure out by reading the article that it takes a special person who would buy the whole collection.

The guy buys records and does not even realize he is getting one he already has. I have done that a lot.

As being a record collector I can write a big part of it is not true happiness. It is like an addiction where you never have enough records and always want more. There is a big part of the ego relishing over the size and quality of your collection. Basking in this feeling of importance and one of a kind personess. When in reality very few really care how many records you have amassed,

The most important thing is to truly know how fortunate of a person you are to be able to enjoy so much quality music. It is the appreciation of music and not the size of your collection that matters, unless your making a business out of it.

True crazy record collectors will put records in front of everything. Your wife, your financial realm and your piece of mind can become endangered if the collector ism is not controlled.

Aug 13, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #3,349 of 5,379
Interesting article. Record buyers who have giant collections believe that their collections are worth an umpteen amount of dollars but you could figure out by reading the article that it takes a special person who would buy the whole collection.

The guy buys records and does not even realize he is getting one he already has. I have done that a lot.

As being a record collector I can write a big part of it is not true happiness. It is like an addiction where you never have enough records and always want more. There is a big part of the ego relishing over the size and quality of your collection. Basking in this feeling of importance and one of a kind personess. When in reality very few really care how many records you have amassed,

The most important thing is to truly know how fortunate of a person you are to be able to enjoy so much quality music. It is the appreciation of music and not the size of your collection that matters, unless your making a business out of it.

True crazy record collectors will put records in front of everything. Your wife, your financial realm and your piece of mind can become endangered if the collector ism is not controlled.

+1. Great comment.

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #3,351 of 5,379
Same here, although I'm glad I'm married as it's nice to have someone tell me that my record collection isn't allowed to get any larger :D

I have more vinyl that I need as it is, and I'm now getting rid of LPs if I want to bring in new ones. Works well for me.

Aug 13, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #3,352 of 5,379
Same here, although I'm glad I'm married as it's nice to have someone tell me that my record collection isn't allowed to get any larger :D

I have more vinyl that I need as it is, and I'm now getting rid of LPs if I want to bring in new ones. Works well for me.

At one point I had and entire room with two walls up to the ceiling stacked with more than 20 years of vinyl. I ended up with 65 UHaul boxes of records. I needed to put them in storage so I gave half away.

Having that many records ended in having to hire separate personal to help move. Still it was fun to see people's eyes when they walked into the library. I used to know a collector who had a warehouse for his records. He would sleep in the warehouse with his records.

A perfect example of the extreme collector was we lost our friendship due to fighting over who would end up with buying a single record we found together.

Losing friends over one record is just dumb.

A perfect example of record collecting is I used to be paranoid that my collection could be stolen or burned in a fire. I used to worry and even tried to insure it. Lol in the end I gave half away. I still own the good stuff.lol

I loved showing folks my record fishing spots. It was really fun to drive around Southern California and go from record fishing hole to record fishing hole. It took all day.

True extreme collectors will never show anyone where they buy records but will brag about the locations...lol

Aug 13, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #3,353 of 5,379
In the photo of the guy with all the records, they appear to be laying flat. I saw this article on Facebook somewhere before and was curious, as I've heard before, that it may be bad for them to lay flat.
I like thrift store shopping and usually won't buy records that are flat and stacked really high.
Anyway, IMO quality is better than quantity when it comes to music.

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #3,354 of 5,379
yeah, I read the article. But what I got from it that this not normal behaviour (understandable, but not normal). It is hoarding. Or collecting plane and simple. Collecting is not done for necessity but for psychological comfort or compensation. As this case states plainly. Just like it's normal to know (have met and remember) around 5000 people MAXIMUM (FI teachers in a school) having such an amount of records is just silly. Your life is too short to listen to all of it, let alone remember it so you can enjoy it repeatedly (this is after all the essence of an LP). I have quite an extensive music collection of about 2000 LP's, 500 cd's and about 2000 flac albums (with lots of overlap) and I am still critical when buying old records (will I really play this?). My point: I don't think that more than 5-10k albums (I'm being generous) will make you any happier. And: there will always be new interesting music. Life goes on. Some thing fade, other remain interesting.

Today I went to the thriftstore with a purpose. I had downloaded a lot of Klemperer albums, and I already inherited Beethoven 3 from my dad. And sadly underrated it as one of my dad's old rubbish. But my dad didn't have such bad taste, he was just very unable to put it in words when I was a kid. Anyway, I already had the piano concertos (Klemperer/Barenboim) and I wanted the nine symphonies. Well, you shouldn't expect to find a complete series of Columbia SAX records. Not in the thrift @ €1/pc. What, I haven't found even one of those first edition RCA, Columbia or Mercury Living presence albums. Just later reprints (not exactly true, I did find 2 originals). Knowledge IS power... Well, nothing to find in the regular bins with single albums. Seen every one of them already. So I looked under the table where they store rows and rows of boxes with crates full of books on top. So I started lifting the bookcrates and digging underneath. They weren't to happy about me. :rolleyes: But, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I said "do you want to sell this stuff or just store it where no-one is allowed to see it?" And what did I find? A big box with all 9 Beethoven symphonies by Klemperer + Philharmonia orchestra. The box was worn but the records were very clean and hardly played (like often with those boxes). I looked at the book and the labels and they were Columbia (not just EMI). Made in license by a dutch bookclub for some anniversary. I looked at the matrix/stamper codes and they were XXXXXX over and replaced with some other code. Looking closely they ARE the same as the original SAX series! On the symphony No.7 disc they forgot to XXXxxx the original YAX 693/3 out. So they are the original SAX stampers, probably somewhat worn but original! No.7 YAX 693/3 is the 1960 version. These are very sought after on Ebay as the prices indicate.

So for €8 I own the complete Klemperer Beethoven symphonies from the same stampers as the Columbia SAX series. They do have some crackle but they sound very good. Me = happy camper. :D :D :D

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #3,355 of 5,379
In the photo of the guy with all the records, they appear to be laying flat. I saw this article on Facebook somewhere before and was curious, as I've heard before, that it may be bad for them to lay flat.
I like thrift store shopping and usually won't buy records that are flat and stacked really high.
Anyway, IMO quality is better than quantity when it comes to music.

I have always kept them like books in a library on shelves. It is fine to lay them flat too. I have never done this but heard of collectors having 5 foot tall stacks all around the house. It is the ultimate lazy way to store records. ( You can store a lot that way ) The problem is the stacks can teeter and fall or blow out from the middle area. But ya it is done. That photo showed records strangely just laying in a cargo container completely scattered? Seems like you could fit more placing them in order. IMO?

When I would make friends with record shop owners they would let me go into the back room and look at the new arrivals. If the company was short on time used records could be put in stacks. This process makes it really hard to get one record out of the middle with out causing a landslide of records all over.

I have seen closets where the records were stacked to the ceiling for years. A sloppy way to store them but they don't warp that way due to the downward pressure. I always thought records could be warped with side pressure. Best though I think to have nice small groups sitting up like books in a library with very little side force on them.

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #3,356 of 5,379
@ ]eep

So for €8 I own the complete Klemperer Beethoven symphonies from the same stampers as the Columbia SAX series. They do have some crackle but they sound very good. Me = happy camper. 
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #3,357 of 5,379
yeah, I read the article. But what I got from it that this not normal behaviour (understandable, but not normal). It is hoarding. Or collecting plane and simple. Collecting is not done for necessity but for psychological comfort or compensation. As this case states plainly. Just like it's normal to know (have met and remember) around 5000 people MAXIMUM (FI teachers in a school) having such an amount of records is just silly. Your life is too short to listen to all of it, let alone remember it so you can enjoy it repeatedly (this is after all the essence of an LP). I have quite an extensive music collection of about 2000 LP's, 500 cd's and about 2000 flac albums (with lots of overlap) and I am still critical when buying old records (will I really play this?). My point:6 And: there will always be new interesting music. Life goes on. Some thing fade, other remain interesting.

Today I went to the thriftstore with a purpose. I had downloaded a lot of Klemperer albums, and I already inherited Beethoven 3 from my dad. And sadly underrated it as one of my dad's old rubbish. But my dad didn't have such bad taste, he was just very unable to put it in words when I was a kid. Anyway, I already had the piano concertos (Klemperer/Barenboim) and I wanted the nine symphonies. Well, you shouldn't expect to find a complete series of Columbia SAX records. Not in the thrift @ €1/pc. What, I haven't found even one of those first edition RCA, Columbia or Mercury Living presence albums. Just later reprints (not exactly true, I did find 2 originals). Knowledge IS power... Well, nothing to find in the regular bins with single albums. Seen every one of them already. So I looked under the table where they store rows and rows of boxes with crates full of books on top. So I started lifting the bookcrates and digging underneath. They weren't to happy about me.
rolleyes.gif
But, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I said "do you want to sell this stuff or just store it where no-one is allowed to see it?" And what did I find? A big box with all 9 Beethoven symphonies by Klemperer + Philharmonia orchestra. The box was worn but the records were very clean and hardly played (like often with those boxes). I looked at the book and the labels and they were Columbia (not just EMI). Made in license by a dutch bookclub for some anniversary. I looked at the matrix/stamper codes and they were XXXXXX over and replaced with some other code. Looking closely they ARE the same as the original SAX series! On the symphony No.7 disc they forgot to XXXxxx the original YAX 693/3 out. So they are the original SAX stampers, probably somewhat worn but original! No.7 YAX 693/3 is the 1960 version. These are very sought after on Ebay as the prices indicate.

So for €8 I own the complete Klemperer Beethoven symphonies from the same stampers as the Columbia SAX series. They do have some crackle but they sound very good. Me = happy camper.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Your post has all the tell-tale clues of a record hoarder. LOL

Don't worry I'm not criticizing you as I am one too. Still I will ( if I can point out all the tell-tale clues of record hording )

1) 2000 records

2) "critical when buying records" enabling to still purchase more but with an excuse " they are good quality "

3) "Some thing fade, other remain interesting." The perfect reason to keep eeevryttthing!!! We all know the day after you get ride of one single record of the 2000, fate has it that you wish you had it back and the music has somehow come into style or you just plainly miss it. LOL

4) Went to a Thrift Store. ( Need I say more ) LOL

5) "I wanted the nine symphonies" The completest factor that gives the great excuse to get em all. Maybe the best single excuse to also get the whole uncatalogued and catalogued output on vinyl by one single artist. Same further excuse to get solo albums by related band members and by related groups of artists. It never ends. LOL 

6) "I don't think that more than 5-10k albums (I'm being generous) will make you any happier." Validating own behavior as correct.

7) " So I looked under the table " This action goes with out saying. The collector is always searching in out of the way places. Especially, at Record Stores and Thrift Shops.

Before I continue I hope you understand I am laughing with you not at you? I am the same way.

8) " So I started lifting the bookcrates and digging underneath. They weren't to happy about me " LOL

9) And what did I find?      This is maybe the single greatest rush for the collector. The initial find moment this is when the endorphins kick in and a state of nervous but self opiated behavior begins. Especially if the record is not priced!  

10) Finally the brag about the find. The satisfaction which is fleeting and must be cured with another grand find.

Aug 15, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #3,358 of 5,379
  I finally got around to taking some (hopefully) better photos of my turntable.

I also just received my new Kenny Burrell, Midnight Blue LP from Music Matters.
This is a great sounding album. Music Matters seems to always produce a excellent
pressing. At least the ones I've bought.

Sweet setup. Really should get a better camera though!
wink.gif

Ive got a VPI too and I notice you are using Bob's Devices 1131 SUT.  I've got one too and couldn't be happier.

Aug 28, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #3,360 of 5,379
A stylish window display:
De 9 Straatjes, Amsterdam, 18 Aug. 2014, 4:23 PM.
It was spinning at 33 1/3 rpm and making me very hungry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back