Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Dec 4, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #961 of 5,383
I believe I've seen the (very helpful) write-up from that comparison -- thanks for that! Final score was 5-2 with some price-related abstentions, correct?

Back to the new deck. I don't really want to comment on SQ yet with table that's hours old, but I'm spinning Steeleye Span's Parcel of Rogues at the moment -- an album I know well -- and I'm enjoying it more than ever. I am optimistic.

That sounds about right.

Glad to hear you're liking it. I listened to 'They Only Come Out at Night' by Edgar Winter tonight on vinyl and then on the Cantana and it was really no contest. LP took it all the way.

Dec 4, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #962 of 5,383
Quote:
That sounds about right.
Glad to hear you're liking it. I listened to 'They Only Come Out at Night' by Edgar Winter tonight on vinyl and then on the Cantana and it was really no contest. LP took it all the way.

Great record! I work with a guy that used to play drums with Johnny, Edgar and Rick back in the day. As he describes it, it's amazing that they were able to record at all with the quantity of whiskey they drank...

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #968 of 5,383
There is something about the Concept's looks that bug me.

It's too small. That's the only thing. Its a smaller version of the Clearaudio Ovation. Or the Feickert if you wish. Form reduced to it's essence. It's pure and simple. No wasted real estate. We don't do that in Europe.

If you are use to driving american cars you would say the same about a Porsche 911.

I love the arm but I'm not so sure about the platter. It's MDF right? Maybe there is a acrylic replacement obtainable somewhere.

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #969 of 5,383

Low res camera photo of my setup is the best I can do atm
From top to bottom:
Pro-ject Debut Carbon
Vincent Pho-8 & Panasonic Stereo system SA-PM29
M-8x2 Merit X Series Power Conditioner

Hopefully the stereo system and speakers will be replaced with a cd player and some decent bookshelf speakers soon. Also looking getting a sturdier audio rack.

Dec 5, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #970 of 5,383
Quote:
It's too small. That's the only thing. Its a smaller version of the Clearaudio Ovation. Or the Feickert if you wish. Form reduced to it's essence. It's pure and simple. No wasted real estate. We don't do that in Europe.
If you are use to driving american cars you would say the same about a Porsche 911.
I love the arm but I'm not so sure about the platter. It's MDF right? Maybe there is a acrylic replacement obtainable somewhere.

I expected it to be too small, but it's actually exactly the same footprint as my Rega. There will be less than a half inch of clearance on all sides for the dustcover (when I order it) on my rack.

The platter is Delrin.

Dec 5, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #971 of 5,383
Quote:

Not the prettiest picture ever, but the vinyl is gorgeous. It's also dirty hipster music.

The vinyl is gorgeous indeed! I'm just starting to buy the occasional replacement LP or something I do not have. Would like more offerings of coloured vinyl and picture disc vinyl.

Dec 5, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #972 of 5,383
Lately if it's available on vinyl I buy it that way. Especially with Electronic music because it usually comes with a 320 DL as well. Or even a CD (Ala Passion Pit or Bob Dylan).

Another thing I've noticed is that quite a bit of modern / new release stuff is pressed on nifty vinyl simply because it's more a niche thing and they generally don't do massive pressings. It allows for more 'fun' with the packages. Hell, Lorn put out a friggin' Reel to Reel tape version of his new album earlier this year.

Quote:

The vinyl is gorgeous indeed! I'm just starting to buy the occasional replacement LP or something I do not have. Would like more offerings of coloured vinyl and picture disc vinyl.

Dec 5, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #973 of 5,383
Quote:
Lately if it's available on vinyl I buy it that way. Especially with Electronic music because it usually comes with a 320 DL as well. Or even a CD (Ala Passion Pit or Bob Dylan).

Another thing I've noticed is that quite a bit of modern / new release stuff is pressed on nifty vinyl simply because it's more a niche thing and they generally don't do massive pressings. It allows for more 'fun' with the packages. Hell, Lorn put out a friggin' Reel to Reel tape version of his new album earlier this year.

Quote:

Is coloured vinyl typically 160g-180g and not 130g-140g?

Dec 5, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #975 of 5,383
Quote:
Usually 180. It seems to be the standard now a days for new music. 

Especially when they put the care into making it a color or picture disc.

Quote:

Is coloured vinyl typically 160g-180g and not 130g-140g?

Some moons back, I inherited the LP "Goin' Bananas" - Side Effect (Fantasy 1977) and the vinyl is yellow. But, when I received it, I noticed a bite taken out of it
tongue_smile.gif
, so it's not playable. What's with dog, cats and audio/music stuff?! Will shop later tonight for my very first coloured/pictured vinyl LP...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back