Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Feb 1, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #4,307 of 5,377
Not only do you have to decide what music to play but which armwand/cartridge/table, etc. to play also.

Very impressive!

Feb 1, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #4,308 of 5,377
Very nice, Shaizada! Wow! And beautiful DP-59L :wink:

Feb 1, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #4,309 of 5,377
Very nice, Shaizada! Wow! And beautiful DP-59L
wink.gif

Thanks!! The Denon DP-59L is great!  Really like that table.  I actually have two direct drives....here is the other one I missed, a Sony PS-X700 Biotracer.

Feb 2, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #4,310 of 5,377
The GF browsing through some records. Pictured is my Rega RP1 with a couple of mods.

Feb 2, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #4,311 of 5,377
Nice looking system.
regular_smile .gif

Feb 2, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #4,313 of 5,377
I just got a Dual 1019 for parts (for my other 1019), and it came with an Empire 888VE cartridge mounted on the sled (sans stylus).

Found an aftermarket eliptical stylus for it, and got it mounted to my Pioneer PL-530. Very much enjoying it. It has a more rounded, less analytical sound to my ears than my regular Denon DL-110 - makes for a nice contrast. 

Might see if I can find a better quality stylus down the road - but this is a really solid find.

Feb 2, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #4,314 of 5,377
No idea where to ask this, so I guess I'll try asking it here

Which cartridge do you guys think is overall 'better' or, if you can elaborate a bit more, what differentiates both of them? Ortofon 2M Blue vs Clearaudio Performer v2 MM. They both cost exactly the same here and, while info regarding the 2M Blue are easily available I can't really find any review about the Performer v2. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Feb 2, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #4,315 of 5,377
I don't know if this review is any help? If you interpolate the last lines comparing the topmodels (with hyperelliptical needles) for simples nude elliptical needles, it is implied that the Clearaudio has a better engine, better body. I think the Clearaudio is made with a lot more attention to detail, and this shows up in channel separation and -balance which are significantly better.

If the price is the same I would take the Clearaudio instantly. You can say that is has an interchangable/upgradable needle, but that is almost the same price as a complete new cartridge which invalidates the entire argument. ($236 vs $236 while the CA is $400)

I was just reading on a German site (comparing prices and consumer opinions) and found one buyer who upgraded exactly from the Blue to the Performer V2. So someone who knew the Blue intimately. And he was very happy with the upgrade. He discribed it as: "Brilliant highs, fullbodied welldifined bass, very good differentiation of details, while maintaining a coherent soundstage and smooth sound. Great! A minor flaw is the slight tendency for sibilance mainly on higher female voices. But I can live with that."[FYI: he built it in himself, being a novice with big hands, so it might be slightly off]. The craftsmanship of the ebony body gave him a big smile because it feels and looks very expensive.

Ich habe das Performer V2 schon vor einiger Zeit bei einem der Technikabende kennengelernt und es mir kürzlich angeschafft, weil ich von meinem bisherigen Ortofon 2M Blue einen Schritt nach oben machen wollte. Schon nach einer Woche kann ich sagen, dass sich die 300 Euro voll gelohnt haben: Brillante Höhen, satte, klar definierte Bässe und ein hohes Differenzierungsvermögen – bei alledem aber dennoch ein homogenes, weiches Klangbild. Toll! Als einzige Einschränkung wäre eine leichte Neigung zu zischelnden S-Lauten vor allem bei höheren Frauenstimmen zu nennen; damit kann ich aber gut leben.

Another user upgraded from the Red, and he stated the upgrade was 'unbelievable'. So I think this answers your question pretty much.

Feb 2, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #4,316 of 5,377
I don't know if this review is any help? If you interpolate the last lines comparing the topmodels (with hyperelliptical needles) for simples nude elliptical needles, it is implied that the Clearaudio has a better engine, better body. I think the Clearaudio is made with a lot more attention to detail, and this shows up in channel separation and -balance which are significantly better.

If the price is the same I would take the Clearaudio instantly. You can say that is has an interchangable/upgradable needle, but that is almost the same price as a complete new cartridge which invalidates the entire argument. ($236 vs $236 while the CA is $400)

I was just reading on a German site (comparing prices and consumer opinions) and found one buyer who upgraded exactly from the Blue to the Performer V2. So someone who knew the Blue intimately. And he was very happy with the upgrade. He discribed it as: "Brilliant highs, fullbodied welldifined bass, very good differentiation of details, while maintaining a coherent soundstage and smooth sound. Great! A minor flaw is the slight tendency for sibilance mainly on higher female voices. But I can live with that."[FYI: he built it in himself, being a novice with big hands, so it might be slightly off]. The craftsmanship of the ebony body gave him a big smile because it feels and looks very expensive.
Another user upgraded from the Red, and he stated the upgrade was 'unbelievable'. So I think this answers your question pretty much.

Thank you very much for this! Definitely clears things up for me.

So I take it the MSRP of the Performer V2 is actually higher than the 2M Blue, but for some reason Ortofon Cartridges might cost more than they should here in NZ. I don't know how much these cartridges costs in Europe, here 2M Blue costs roughly $250 USD, $450 USD for 2M Bronze and $750 USD for 2M Black.

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #4,317 of 5,377
fwiw - I really like the Denon 110 high-output MC better than the Ortofon blue MM and similar price. Much better detail and separation. I have not tried the ClearAudio. 

Feb 3, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #4,318 of 5,377

Thank you very much for this! Definitely clears things up for me.

So I take it the MSRP of the Performer V2 is actually higher than the 2M Blue, but for some reason Ortofon Cartridges might cost more than they should here in NZ. I don't know how much these cartridges costs in Europe, here 2M Blue costs roughly $250 USD, $450 USD for 2M Bronze and $750 USD for 2M Black.

Very close to US prices.

Feb 3, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #4,319 of 5,377
Those were the US prices :p (Needledoctor)

EU price (Phonophono.de some have discount)
Ortofon 2M Blue: €190
Bronze €320
Black €580
Denon DL110 €196 (cheap in comparison)
ClearAudio Performer V2 €298
Goldring G1006 €240
Dynavector 10X5 €495
ClearAudio Artist V2 €498

Feb 3, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #4,320 of 5,377
Those were the US prices :p (Needledoctor)

EU price (Phonophono.de some have discount)
Ortofon 2M Blue: €190
Bronze €320
Black €580
Denon DL110 €196 (cheap in comparison)
ClearAudio Performer V2 €298
Goldring G1006 €240
Dynavector 10X5 €495
ClearAudio Artist V2 €498

This is my point, as the person on the German site 'upgraded' from the 2M Blue to the Performer V2 I suspect the Performer V2 actually costs more there. If that's the case, then the Performer V2 would definitely be the better buy than the 2M Blue here considering they costs exactly the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back