Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Sep 14, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #3,391 of 5,385

Got my first turntable last week (poor picture quality).  Pro-ject Debut Carbon.  Running through the ART DJ II, into Schiit Magni (for now, have a Vali on order), with Grado SR325e's.

Trying to figure out a nicer table/storage solution (currently the dining room table is my storage area)

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #3,392 of 5,385
Man, that looks real nice!

Is that an Ortofon 2M Red cartridge?

I loves my Ortofon.
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #3,393 of 5,385
I believe that we will have 3D printing turntable kits in 5 years. There is no way we could not make a 10k turntable with the right parts at home for $300.00.

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2014/09/3-year-old-boy-gets-prosthetic-iron-man-hand/

Sep 15, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #3,394 of 5,385
Even if you can print yourself a turntable, there will be a lot of elbow grease needed for the post production. 3D printers don't produce the smoothest surfaces.
Might as well cut a block of wood/bambo and make yourself a turntable from it, since a turntable is a precision instrument.

Sep 15, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #3,395 of 5,385
I'm reading this with my bamboo socks on. Really, I am not joking. Very comfy, like silk. I like the bamboo project, I like experimenting. But Aerolam is nothing like bamboo. Bamboo has aprx the same weight as pine, Aerolam is feather light, like foam. And because of it's light weight is not able to isolate sound below a very high frequency compared to thick woodfibreboard. Those Celestion speakers were like a dipole in the bass. Its just like the new windowframes in my flat where they used a sort of refrigerator-like sandwich material under the windows (1.5mm Al, 30mm pu-foam, 1.5mm Al), the noise is almost the same as sleeping outside!

As much as I like the bamboo TT for ingenuity and the use of stock Ikea materials, it's nothing like that beautiful Dr Feickert!
cool.gif
Arm ditto. If I only had the money...

2 weeks ago I helped a friend on a independent record label fair and selling 4 crates of my surplus records. Sold spme 50 records for a decent price (EP €3, LP €8). This way the collection I bought pays it's own way leaving me with a good 400 lp's I like for free. But, here's the thing I wanted to share, one of the stands had a recordcutter with him. People were literally standing in line to make a record! The name is a hoot too, in Dutch meaning rek... o darn! (where darn = an expletive of a certain female part).

It had been used on one of the Antilles, very basic portable unit with tube pre-amplifier and 2 inputs.

Great story. And seeing a Rek-O-Kut portable cutter in action !

Regarding aerolam; as far as I undersatand it, it is an all aluminium honeycomb structure used in aircraft industry, which was used in Pink Triangle Anniversary turntable (praised to this day for its sound almost inistinguishable from the master tape ) and Celestion sl-600 - and neither of these two could attain the SQ they have if aerolam was as described by you. I guess MANY different options exist - from room insulation version that can be wrapped in spools to thick rigid sheets/slabs, with or without the addition of other materials -  and proper selection for the job at hand is all that really matters..

http://www.audiosmile.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8468

Funny how colour can influence the porception of a turntable; I see Feickert TT "regularly" at the local distributor's - in silver. It left me stone cold - partly due to the fact that never during my visits it was anything but static display - not playback ready. Yet the black one in pictures above looks sooooo more appealing...

Sep 15, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #3,396 of 5,385
I believe that we will have 3D printing turntable kits in 5 years. There is no way we could not make a 10k turntable with the right parts at home for $300.00.

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2014/09/3-year-old-boy-gets-prosthetic-iron-man-hand/

Plausible. Which kind of materials are possible for the 3D printer at present ? 

I did not mention bamboo out of aesthetic/exotic reasons - materials in an analog turntable are ultimately make or break as far as playback quality is concerned. Man made materials hitherto used for turntables generally lack the damping required. Metal platters/subchassis/etc -  ringing...ing...ring-ing - sounds familiar ?
Acryil and similar is better, but not quite there yet.

The reasons behind the above are very well covered here , in Soundsmith's cactus cantilever : http://www.sound-smith.com/cartridges/hyperion.html

http://thevinylanachronist.blogspot.com/2011/10/cactus-needles-hyperion-phono-cartridge.html

3D cactus platter ?

The question remains regarding tolerances etc - and the 3D printers capable of doing it will "slightly" exceed that $ 300 mark... 

Sep 15, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #3,397 of 5,385
  Plausible. Which kind of materials are possible for the 3D printer at present ? 

I did not mention bamboo out of aesthetic/exotic reasons - materials in an analog turntable are ultimately make or break as far as playback quality is concerned. Man made materials hitherto used for turntables generally lack the damping required. Metal platters/subchassis/etc -  ringing...ing...ring-ing - sounds familiar ?
Acryil and similar is better, but not quite there yet.

The reasons behind the above are very well covered here , in Soundsmith's cactus cantilever : http://www.sound-smith.com/cartridges/hyperion.html

http://thevinylanachronist.blogspot.com/2011/10/cactus-needles-hyperion-phono-cartridge.html

3D cactus platter ?

The question remains regarding tolerances etc - and the 3D printers capable of doing it will "slightly" exceed that $ 300 mark... 

Yes, this article talks about the two plastics used today. Sure more to come. In twenty years 95% of what we own will be printed.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/3d-printing-10-factors-still-holding-it-back/

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #3,398 of 5,385
In twenty years 95% of what we own will be printed.

Really? The brave new world? Can it print debts too? Just like you can't print money with a colour-printer (btw it is absolutely impossible to print money anyway, by anyone. No cental 'bank' can. You can mint it but not print it. But that is a different subject matter entirely).
The promise is often much greater than the stark reality 30y after the fact. I still remember the cd infomercial, you could put peanutbutter on the cd, or scratch it and it would still play. Yeah right. Like I said, I was in Amsterdam with my friend who owns a record label and all their sales is now; downloads and vinyl. Hardly any cd's.

3D printing opens up a lot of new possibilities from a shaping point of view, but not the even more important material PoV. You cannot print tungsten or ceramic. And the resolution of the printer is an important factor, just like with a colour-printer. Low res is just for toys and gimmicks. Or the office ... go on luv, go print me a cuppa coffee please. :p

Planting a seed and make a structure grow from just adding water. Now that is ingenious.

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #3,399 of 5,385
  Man, that looks real nice!

Is that an Ortofon 2M Red cartridge?

I loves my Ortofon.
biggrin.gif

That it is.  Standard with the debut carbon.  Really pleased with it.  Picking up a cork mat to try out instead of the felt mat.

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #3,401 of 5,385

That will help immensely with static.  

Definitely part of the reason I ordered one. I'm very happy with the sound I am getting right now, but the static cling to the felt mat gets to be annoying.

Sep 15, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #3,402 of 5,385
Got static? Use Permostat. Really. I use it as standard with every record I just bought. No more clinging dust, no more sticking felt mat, no more records that are impossible to remove from the inner jacket. If I buy 2nd hand I can even reuse the old liner after cleaning and treating the LP. The dust wont stick anymore so just one blow in the liner and your dust is mostly gone. Any superficial dust you can simply wipe away with the ubiquitous carbonfibre brush. Permostat can be applied much more economically than the manual implies, just 3 to 4 well aimed sprays per side is enough to permanently get rid of static charge. Just brush it out well. Using it sparingly will reduce the cost to about 50c per LP and prevent sticking to plastic inner sleeves (looks bad but doesn't really do any harm).

On my RC (Okki Nokki) it is 1 simple workflow: squeeze the cleaner on (1 revolution), spread it while brushing with the goathair brush( 5 rev), vacuum (2 rev), spray on Permostat (1 rev), brush out (3 rev). Flip and repeat. Done. Clean record. Forever!

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #3,404 of 5,385
Where can I find some Permostat in the USA. My searches have proved futile!

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #3,405 of 5,385
I see. It's hard to find in the US. Maybe because it's a flammable liquid? Maybe because your government assumes you want to blow up another WTC? On Acousticsounds it's a 'noshow' article. It might be some sort of trade restriction. You could try to order in the UK but if there is some sort of "law" that might lead to a no show as well. We live in such a free world (not!). I fell quite guilty for raising your hopes up for nothing.

I bought it here. Starter kit €23, jumbo refill €27. I am sending him a mail if he has any experience in shipment to the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back