Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Sep 30, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #2,401 of 5,383
I don't mean to be negative on everything said above, but cartridgealignment is not that hard... You can't really go wrong with 2 screws and four clips. Just like a broken clock tells the correct time twice a day, the horizontal alignment on a normal radial arm is never really right but for two places. If you are not a complete klutz. There is no absolute right or wrong in horizontal angle because it changes all the time. :rolleyes: I dare say that if you play mostly singles a different alignment optimized closer to the spindle is preferable to the standard alignment. And if you play mostly older shorter records where the groove is cut more towards the rim you need the opposite.
The best you can achieve with 'the 2 screws and 4 clips' is a compromise. The tolerance of your compromise depends on the stylusshape. It always is about which compromise to take and how to most closely approach it. It is relative. So don't be afraid to make your own compromise. Just like you chose your stylusshape according to your own ability to make correct alignment decisions and the skill to carry them out. Or have it done for you.

Then there is azimuth, this is an absolute. But many arms have no adjustment for it just because it is an absolute. Straight is straight. So if your cartridge is out of whack youre straight out of luck.

Now where does the TLC come in? Well, if you can adjust azimuth you will need a small mirror to set the arm straight. And if you cantilever/tip is not properly aligned to the body you will need to listen. And relisten, and adjust, and listen again. But the reward is: when it's right, it's right. Unless you are using a unipivot arm.

And then there is the VTA. :rolleyes: Again: no absolutes. It can be, with a perfectly plane lp, but they hardly ever are. And if you change a thick 200gr for a thin 120gr, again: you will need to adjust. And with a Rega arm, you can't. Or you need a washer under the 120gr lp. And for many other arms you will have to fiddle with a tiny screwdriver to adjust the height of the arm, never knowing where you had it correct. There are very few arms with on the fly VTA adjustments.

Many if's, but's and unlesses. There's analog for you. Never a boolean when you want it.

Sep 30, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #2,403 of 5,383
Pretty wild!  And, that headshell!  Looking forward to meet pics, too.

Sep 30, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #2,404 of 5,383

Realistic LAB-2200 $20 from ebay :D Installed a new Audio-Technica AT311EP cartridge. Using it with a Cambridge Audio 540P preamp and a Pioneer VSX-822k receiver. Sounds pretty darn good!

Sep 30, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #2,405 of 5,383
Correct me if Im wrong, but aren't records cut and masters EQ'ed to compensate for the alignment changes that occur as a tonarm/stylus tracks across a record?

And if that's true, isn't linear tracking solving a problem that doesn't exist? Actually performing worse than a conventional tonearm?

I never did understand this one...

Sep 30, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #2,408 of 5,383
  Correct me if Im wrong, but aren't records cut and masters EQ'ed to compensate for the alignment changes that occur as a tonarm/stylus tracks across a record?

And if that's true, isn't linear tracking solving a problem that doesn't exist? Actually performing worse than a conventional tonearm?

You might find this thread enlightening or just maddening.  Good luck.

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/messages/106/1061201.html

Sep 30, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #2,409 of 5,383

Realistic LAB-2200 $20 from ebay
biggrin.gif
Installed a new Audio-Technica AT311EP cartridge. Using it with a Cambridge Audio 540P preamp and a Pioneer VSX-822k receiver. Sounds pretty darn good!

I'll bet it does!  Congrats on high-end on the cheap.

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #2,410 of 5,383

I've always been under the impression, perhaps from ancient folklore or advertising propaganda, that the cutting lathes themselves were linear tracking. I don't really see how EQ can compensate as I would guess the problem would be more of a continuous phase shift. With a pivot arm, from the beginning to the end, the needle effectively twists and changes angle in the groove. but that's just a guess.
RIAA equalization was implemented to extend the record time and solve other problems inherent to the process. I'll have to dig deeper into the physics of the "linear advantage". Fact or myth?

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #2,411 of 5,383
You might find this thread enlightening or just maddening.  Good luck.

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/messages/106/1061201.html

Good reading bbop, thanks for the link.

Doesn't answer my question about cutting and mastering though. If a master is cut with a tangental tonearm, then isnt a linear tracking arm going to have azimuth errors? Or are (were?) masters cut with LT cutters?

Also, I know that ideally, digital discs and vinyl LP's need different masters. With digital masters, do studios use EQ to compensate for tracking errors during vinyl reproduction? Is this what RIAA equalization does?

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #2,412 of 5,383
Check out Youtube videos and watch them cut vinyl.  It wouldn't make any sense mechanically speaking, to not cut them in a straight line.  Keep it simple.  That's the whole premise behind linear tracking tonearms.  That's why there's two best spots for a regular arm, and all other positions are a "compromise".  

The benefit of tangential tonearms is that they exactly follow the tangential path of the cutter head used on record cutting lathes. This means that the path the stylus takes as it tracks across the record is exactly the same path that the cutter head took as it cut the record.

http://www.clearaudiousa.com/_en/ta_TT3.php

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #2,413 of 5,383
Check out Youtube videos and watch them cut vinyl.  It wouldn't make any sense mechanically speaking, to not cut them in a straight line.  Keep it simple.  That's the whole premise behind linear tracking tonearms.  That's why there's two best spots for a regular arm, and all other positions are a "compromise".  

http://www.clearaudiousa.com/_en/ta_TT3.php

Thanks, that answers that question.

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #2,414 of 5,383
Surprised you didn't know that actually.  
biggrin.gif

Brings up a funny thought.  Imagine 1000 grooves on a record side, and with a regular tonearm, you can only set up the cartridge to play perfectly in two of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back