Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Sep 15, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #2,311 of 5,379
Doubt it.

Sep 15, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #2,312 of 5,379
  Maybe something got lost in translation. 
eek.gif

Maybe you're right. It's difficult to covey intent, especially as a non-native English speaker.

In case anyone is wondering, 90% of the albums were new/sealed - NONE came from thrift stores lol. ~30% are radio promos (used to work in the industry),  ~70% are 1st pressings. I don't mean they're not reissues; they're first pressings of the title. Very little mainstream. Very little classical other than experiential/20th Century. To give an idea as to the scope, almost every time I see a ludicrously expensive LP listed on Amazon, like Cake's first album or the LZ box, blah, blah, blah, I have it. You want the original NIN albums? Got em. Original Clash albums? Why not? The complete Mogwai from the 90s? Yea. Hundreds of Roots Reggae titles from the '70s, mostly 1st pressings? Sure. FSOL originals including the 12"? Got em all. Hip-Hop, starting with Rapper's Delight, Run-DMC first album until current? A big dive into the Verve catalog from the 60s (mint pressings)? OK. Original Folways issues? No problem. I can go on and on.

Edit: I should mention what it was like buying LPs in the 90s. Imagine growing up with LPs everywhere. Not just record stores, but essentially every place you went: drug stores, appliance shops.... Then, they all disappeared, except for the record stores. By ~1993 the record stores dumped all their vinyl, too; there was literally nowhere to buy new releases on LP. So, I found a record distributor still selling vinyl, opened an account - took a bit of work - and bought directly from him. I'd get a list of new releases every few weeks in the mail and fax in my order. If it weren't for that, LPs like the NIN titles I mentioned above, or Mogwai or Chemical Brothers, etc - simply would not exist in my life. It was easy and fun buying records in the 70s and 80s, but the 90s and early '00s weren't so great.

Sep 15, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #2,314 of 5,379
  I'd love to see a picture of your turntable. Very curious what you use to enjoy that collection!
beerchug.gif

Unfortunately, I don't think I have the permissions to post pics yet. My 'table isn't terribly fancy: a modified (suspension, motor isolation, grounding) VPI HW19mkIII that I love with all my heart, a Rega RB600 arm and an AT33PTG/II cartridge. I quite proud of its setup. Took a while, as the cart broke in, but we're all dialed-in now. I've had a lot of TTs over the years; some were fairly elaborate, but I love the VPI. This is my third '19. This being said, the HW16.5 RCM is what makes playing vinyl a more pleasurable experience. I think it's a must-own sort of thing, if you're really into LPs. Not cheap, but a great investment. I've had mine for ~20 years and use it almost every day.

Sep 15, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #2,315 of 5,379
Thanks for sharing!

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #2,316 of 5,379

Maybe you're right. It's difficult to covey intent, especially as a non-native English speaker.

In case anyone is wondering, 90% of the albums were new/sealed - NONE came from thrift stores lol. ~30% are radio promos (used to work in the industry),  ~70% are 1st pressings. I don't mean they're not reissues; they're first pressings of the title. Very little mainstream. Very little classical other than experiential/20th Century. To give an idea as to the scope, almost every time I see a ludicrously expensive LP listed on Amazon, like Cake's first album or the LZ box, blah, blah, blah, I have it. You want the original NIN albums? Got em. Original Clash albums? Why not? The complete Mogwai from the 90s? Yea. Hundreds of Roots Reggae titles from the '70s, mostly 1st pressings? Sure. FSOL originals including the 12"? Got em all. Hip-Hop, starting with Rapper's Delight, Run-DMC first album until current? A big dive into the Verve catalog from the 60s (mint pressings)? OK. Original Folways issues? No problem. I can go on and on.

Edit: I should mention what it was like buying LPs in the 90s. Imagine growing up with LPs everywhere. Not just record stores, but essentially every place you went: drug stores, appliance shops.... Then, they all disappeared, except for the record stores. By ~1993 the record stores dumped all their vinyl, too; there was literally nowhere to buy new releases on LP. So, I found a record distributor still selling vinyl, opened an account - took a bit of work - and bought directly from him. I'd get a list of new releases every few weeks in the mail and fax in my order. If it weren't for that, LPs like the NIN titles I mentioned above, or Mogwai or Chemical Brothers, etc - simply would not exist in my life. It was easy and fun buying records in the 70s and 80s, but the 90s and early '00s weren't so great.

This is impressive. Both the collection and the attitude in getting it together. As they would say in cycling : CHAPEAU !

Especially for The Dark Age Of Vynil, say 1993 -2010. I started my CD retail days in 1993 and to illustrate just how hard, incoprehensible  and altogother weird was to obtain vinyl in mid 90s , this example. Since I did try to boost the sales of CDs, suppliers did try to cater to my private love of vinyl. Once, the vinyl version of Lynyrd Skynyrd Greatest Hits http://www.discogs.com/Lynyrd-Skynyrd-Skynyrds-Innyrds-Their-Greatest-Hits/release/2926058
( giulty as charged, did miss them when "current"), which has a catalog number of the usual 6 digit-1 ( -1 indicating vinyl, -2 indicating CD and -4 indicating cassette ), it had to be ordered and re-ordered THREE TIMES before finally a non polycarbonat version arrived.
Those guys simply took -1 as a mistake and would keep on sending CD ad nuaseaum if the supplier did not send them a fax that he actually wants to get the vinyl.

Once-upon-a-time, Yugoslavia did have at least 4 record pressing plants and at least two mastering facilities. After breakup, Slovenia was left with zero and anything vinyl from then on has to be imported. Mid 90, a few years after the new state was born, it was anything but easy time to get anything vinyl, on the already heavily depleted world market during the CD craze. Things are much better now, but of course can not be compared to vast variety available say in US.

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #2,317 of 5,379

Unfortunately, I don't think I have the permissions to post pics yet. My 'table isn't terribly fancy: a modified (suspension, motor isolation, grounding) VPI HW19mkIII that I love with all my heart, a Rega RB600 arm and an AT33PTG/II cartridge. I quite proud of its setup. Took a while, as the cart broke in, but we're all dialed-in now. I've had a lot of TTs over the years; some were fairly elaborate, but I love the VPI. This is my third '19. This being said, the HW16.5 RCM is what makes playing vinyl a more pleasurable experience. I think it's a must-own sort of thing, if you're really into LPs. Not cheap, but a great investment. I've had mine for ~20 years and use it almost every day.

Yes, you need to buy a few more albums before you get permission to post images!
tongue.gif

I somehow knew you would have a simple, excellent setup and would enjoy content listening.
Congratulations and thanks for sharing. 

Sep 16, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #2,319 of 5,379
Of course I did not mean to belittle Shaffers collection. That's why I put the smilie there. I suppose some jokes are hard to appreciate. This one wasn't particularly good or kind. Sorry bout that. But that's all beside the point and not what I was trying to convey.

No, my comment concerns the so-called 'meme' (and I don't like that Dawkins guy nor his bs ideas). Use someones picture of his record collection as a transcendent idea that is somehow mysteriously inherited in other ppls brains... without even knowing what it is. Just a picture of the exterior has no bearing on the contents thereof, nor on the effort to get there, nor it's value, monetary or artistically. That's why I posted the bland picture of my collection on HD that shows absolutely nothing. but there's >1800 albums on it. In a very wide range of styles, geographic locations and ages. From 1200AD to now, from the first microgrooves to newest 24/196.

And to be frank, even though my record collection is only about 20% of shaffers there are plenty of bad records in there. And plenty that didn't stand the test of time, showing my bad judgement in my adolescent years 30 years back. They are in there, but I really have no urge to play them. Just leave them neatly organised according to alphabet in their neat little place. And stay there.

Furthermore, English is just my third language in which I have no trouble expressing myself in. But culture is something completely different. Americans have very little sense of humor when it comes to their ego. Embarrassing situations, especially concerning bodily functions are supposedly hilarious, but oh my, just don't mock someones property because it's an extension of their.... (you can fill in the blanks). Europeans do not exist. And even in my little (17million ppl) country we have about 8 different (native) cultures with different mentalities, languages etc. With one common 'flaw': we don't beat around the bush. We know everything about the US, it's origins, constitution, demographics, it's culture. And you probably don't even know what our country is called. So there. It's a big world.

I posted my player a while ago but I'll be happy to repost it:
900x900px-LL-90ec89cb_UrushionSatisfyCranberrieslight.jpeg

Some eyecandy.

As you can probably guess this is my medium of choice. But not what gets the most hours. That is that tiny 2.5" HD with plenty of choice, quality and ease of use. I use my own modified DAC that takes the music almost to the level of LP playback. But never quite with the same musical commitment. I have always maintained the position that vinyl playback sounds better than CD. This has always been so on my system. At one point (before the Clearaudio+Koetsu) with modified tube cd-player vs Pro-ject Perspectice+DV Karat 17MkII it came very close. Now I'm really content with my NOS-dac + Foobar. My cd-collection is as dead as VHS. The HD is the everyday whiskey, LP is the 16 YO single malt.

Sep 16, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #2,320 of 5,379
Jeep, I love the post. Glad to have you here!

beerchug.gif

Sep 17, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #2,323 of 5,379
@ jeep

I'm glad you have a sense of humor.  

Sep 17, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #2,324 of 5,379
Of course I did not mean to belittle Shaffers collection. That's why I put the smilie there. I suppose some jokes are hard to appreciate. This one wasn't particularly good or kind. Sorry bout that. But that's all beside the point and not what I was trying to convey.
To be fair, the emoticon you chose rolled his eyes. That's not friendly and likely the cause of the misunderstanding. If it were a smile, the read-intent would have been different.
Furthermore, English is just my third language in which I have no trouble expressing myself in. But culture is something completely different. Americans have very little sense of humor when it comes to their ego. Embarrassing situations, especially concerning bodily functions are supposedly hilarious, but oh my, just don't mock someones property because it's an extension of their.... (you can fill in the blanks). Europeans do not exist. And even in my little (17million ppl) country we have about 8 different (native) cultures with different mentalities, languages etc. With one common 'flaw': we don't beat around the bush. We know everything about the US, it's origins, constitution, demographics, it's culture. And you probably don't even know what our country is called. So there. It's a big world.
It's rather astounding how you can group Americans into a single demographic black hole. I speak more than 3 languages and I've lived in Italy, Austria, and Eastern Europe, aside from the US. This is a friendly forum and I won't dissect the logic above, but I will say that I (as an American) find your comment very offensive.

Reply in italics.

Sep 17, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #2,325 of 5,379
Yeah, the very idea that 330 million Americans all act in the same way is beyond silly.

That said, ]eep's photo of his VPI is beyond awesome :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back