Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Aug 21, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #2,266 of 5,379
Quote:
tongue.gif

What about the albums where the lead-out goes into the record label, then the needle goes four-wheelen bouncing out and across the flat part to then falling into the lead-out groove again to repeat over and over again.

I have had that happen before lol. Luckily it just stayed in the lead-out area, making no noise at all. I am thankful it happened now and not later on when I upgrade my cartridge.

Though just because of this I am thinking of making my own tonearm lifter. I think I can come up with something safe.

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #2,267 of 5,379
What about LP's on which during quiet passages I can faintly hear what sounds like the next groove?  I read this is an artifact with a certain type of record pressing.  Anyone else get this?  Last night I listened to Norah Jones Come Away With Me, and the effect was sort of annoying.  I think I'll try getting the heavier recording.

Aug 21, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #2,268 of 5,379
Quote:
What about LP's on which during quiet passages I can faintly hear what sounds like the next groove?  I read this is an artifact with a certain type of record pressing.  Anyone else get this?  Last night I listened to Norah Jones Come Away With Me, and the effect was sort of annoying.  I think I'll try getting the heavier recording.

Remember any info that is picked up from the needle is going to be replayed. Even small bumps pressing threw from the other side.

On some early RCA pressings we could actually hear the other side. There are so many strange funny things in the world of vinyl. The ...I think they were called something like flexies for short. They were mid seventies pressings which were so thin and not totally black vinyl, you could see threw em.

I'm not talking about those disks that came with magazines, These were regular records that maybe to cut cost were made really thin. Maybe the name was Dynagroove?.

Edit: The labels we could hear the other side looked actually like this RCA.

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #2,269 of 5,379
Quote:
Quote:

Remember any info that is picked up from the needle is going to be replayed. Even small bumps pressing threw from the other side.

On some early RCA pressings we could actually hear the other side. There are so many strange funny things in the world of vinyl. The ...I think they were called something like flexies for short. They were mid seventies pressings which were so thin and not totally black vinyl, you could see threw em.

I'm not talking about those disks that came with magazines, These were regular records that maybe to cut cost were made really thin. Maybe the name was Dynagroove?.

Edit: The labels we could hear the other side looked actually like this RCA.

I believe it's called pre-echo and post-echo and has something to do with pressing issues, no pun intended.  Cassettes and open reels could have the same problem, maybe having to do with how loud the music was recorded, meter needles to the max and beyond.

Yes, Dynagroove from RCA, although I never heard print through from the other side!  Had something to do with the oil crisis in the '70s.

In the interest of pix:

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #2,270 of 5,379
Quote:
I believe it's called pre-echo and post-echo and has something to do with pressing issues, no pun intended.  Cassettes and open reels could have the same problem, maybe having to do with how loud the music was recorded, meter needles to the max and beyond.

Yes, Dynagroove from RCA, although I never heard print through from the other side!  Had something to do with the oil crisis in the '70s.

Seems like it was more common with cassettes: I've only heard this on a few LP's.

Aug 21, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #2,271 of 5,379
Quote:

In the interest of pix:

It happened with tape because the tape magnetism bleed to another area. Perfect example is when Robert Plant says Way down....... in the middle of Whole Lot Of Love. Perfect tape bleed.
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-677972.html

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #2,272 of 5,379
Plenty of modern records have that issue. James Blake's ST album did pretty badly. My old copy of Zep IV does it, too.

As for Come Away With Me...just get the AP 200g pressing. Master is better, pressing is better. Worth the investment. Though my Blue Note cooy didn't have that problem.

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #2,273 of 5,379
Quote:
Plenty of modern records have that issue. James Blake's ST album did pretty badly. My old copy of Zep IV does it, too.

As for Come Away With Me...just get the AP 200g pressing. Master is better, pressing is better. Worth the investment. Though my Blue Note cooy didn't have that problem.

I'm thinking I'll do that.  It'll give me a chance to try out Sounstagedirect.

Aug 21, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #2,274 of 5,379
Quote:
My friend had a big friend over who somehow lost balance over his VPI and placed the palm of his hand abruptly on top of the arm.
eek.gif

Those titanium needles under the arm really can bend to look like fish hooks. Lucky VPI sells em as replacements.

Maybe that's why Rega suggests to try playing with the dust cover on - IF BIG FRIENDS COME OVER!

Aug 21, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #2,275 of 5,379
Quote:
Quote:
My friend had a big friend over who somehow lost balance over his VPI and placed the palm of his hand abruptly on top of the arm.
eek.gif

Those titanium needles under the arm really can bend to look like fish hooks. Lucky VPI sells em as replacements.

Maybe that's why Rega suggests to try playing with the dust cover on - IF BIG FRIENDS COME OVER!

LOL!!!!!

(OMG, does that pic show a record being played while the dust cover is down?  Tell me it's not so!

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #2,277 of 5,379

Lateralus spinning right now... Great way to start the day!

Sep 4, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #2,278 of 5,379
Somewhat interesting item from PS Audio:  http://www.psaudio.com/shop/nuwave-phono-converter/

PS Audio’s NuWave Phono Converter, NPC, is a new category for the High End that combines a state-of-the-art phono preamplifier and analog DSD/PCM converter together in a world’s first.

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #2,279 of 5,379
A phonostage with balanced outputs? You don't see that often 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back