Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Jun 4, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #1,801 of 5,385
Quote:

Ha, thanks for posting that, looks interesting but I hereby withdraw my request for a current display of FLEX! I agree it does look cool though.

As my SL1200 also has a rubber "mat/platter" combination, which some have described as overdamped, is this what you mean by acoustically dead? I am having excellent results with the res-o-mat, which seems to turn this attribute into a strength.

The Denon won over the Grado btw, and I have lost interest in the 10x5. Wasn't even close. Now running a stock 103, will get my 103R re-tipped by Soundsmith with a ruby cantilever and a nude contact line diamond, which seems to be the tip profile that meets the most of my needs.

The Grado will go up against an Ortofon 2M Red on my DP300F when I get around to it, that will be the elliptical table.

SL1200 with its platter insert and stock mat is ring-a-long-day compared to 5120 - if someone describes SL1200 as being overdamped, this is many times so. Content of rubber in SL1200 platter/mat is many times less than in 5120. Rubber "mat"of 5120 is heavier than stamped metal platter - or there about.

Resomat is something I am definitely not fond of - but can understand why it could be beneficial with SL1200. It isolates the record from the platter as much as possible, relying on few literally point contacts to support the record. Much the same way as originally done by Transcriptors. SL1200 is a highly resonant structure overall and it may indeed be better to decouple record and any energy coming from the tracking stylus from the platter>bearing>base - at the price of record itself being allowed to resonate and not allowing the stylus to read true information engraved in the grooves. I know there will be strong oposition to such a statement from some - but here only a direct comparison to master tape or well made CD or SACD of the same music can give any real answer. All real good turntables did get this kind of right - one way or another, none did use next to zero support. One that did was Meitner turntable - but I never saw one in flesh, let alone heard it. NAD is one of the few that does this well in the lower price bracket.

DL103 is a low compliance cart - in any version, specially R. Point record support is better suited to high compliance carts - so Resomat is ??? in this case.

I do not want to sound patronizing, but please do read the review of Versa Dynamics turntable in Stereophile http://www.stereophile.com/content/versa-dynamics-20-lp-player-page-4  - once heard, or better yet, spent a weekend listening to this table, gives one pretty good idea what support record needs in order for the "record player" to (nearly) dissapear. It is unbelievable how much more low level signals a truly well coupled record to the platter can bring - it does no longer mean any significant ( other than VTA ) difference betwen regular and 180 + gram records - every record becomes a say 10000 gram record, the mass of the platter plus record itself. Funny thing - you might not like it - as it does sound unlike resonant decks, not being "alive" - but compare it to master tape , CD or SACD, and you will know which is closer to the original.

Now, I definitely do not want to suggest that NAD is (nearly) equivalent of the Versa - look at the technologies involved, look at the price if you must - they can not be in the same league.  But it is much closer to that overall spirit than many much more costly decks.

Jun 4, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #1,802 of 5,385
Quote:

DL103 is a low compliance cart - in any version, specially R. Point record support is better suited to high compliance carts - so Resomat is ??? in this case.

That's interesting, are you suggesting that the R may actually be a lesser performer than the regular 103 on my setup? If it is when I get it back, I suppose I will have to re-visit the mat thing...

As I mentioned earlier, I am using the sandwich weight and the added weight on the back end of the tonearm with it; I seem to have had a breakthrough similar to the (admittedly somewhat confusing one) in this thread:

SL-1200 MK2 sounding open and musical at last

Thee OP is using felt mats for decoupling from the rubber mat, and there seems to be a bit of consensus regarding the benefit of adding the extra mass to the arm/shell combo with the 103. Hopefully this added mass helps to balance out the negative effects you are referring to from decoupling the record with a low-compliance cart.

Jun 4, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #1,803 of 5,385
Photos, for a change.  RP6/2M Black sitting on 25+ year old Target wall mount shelf.  Picked up the TT/cart last week.  Yippee!  Won't put the dust cover on until I get the Groovetracer counterweight in.  2M requires spacers and that's a P9 mat for further VTA fiddling.

Thought I would mess with your minds with the 10" mono re-issue recorded in 1950.  Besides Brubeck, two others got famous, Paul Desmond and Cal Tjader (on drums!).  The white edge reflections are from the track lights above.  Loving this mid-fi set up with my NAD PP2i.

Hope y'all enjoy!

Jun 4, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #1,804 of 5,385
Whoa, bbophead! Your audio on display is better than Deep-fried Peaches & Cream @ The Texas State Fair! 
size]

Jun 4, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #1,805 of 5,385
Quote:
Whoa, bbophead! Your audio on display is better than Deep-fried Peaches & Cream @ The Texas State Fair! 
size]

You ain't had nothin' till you've had my wife's homemade buttermilk biscuits, with your choice of sausage pepper gravy or homemade meyer lemon jam (lemons from our garden).  Spare the butter?  I don't THINK so.

Jun 4, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #1,806 of 5,385
Quote:
Photos, for a change.  RP6/2M Black sitting on 25+ year old Target wall mount shelf.  Picked up the TT/cart last week.  Yippee!  Won't put the dust cover on until I get the Groovetracer counterweight in.  2M requires spacers and that's a P9 mat for further VTA fiddling.

Thought I would mess with your minds with the 10" mono re-issue recorded in 1950.  Besides Brubeck, two others got famous, Paul Desmond and Cal Tjader (on drums!).  The white edge reflections are from the track lights above.  Loving this mid-fi set up with my NAD PP2i.

Hope y'all enjoy!

Nice.  Seems like the 2M Black is pretty popular.  I've considered the Groovetracer counterweight too.  I may, one day, just order the subplatter, counterweight, and acrylic platter all in one shot.

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #1,807 of 5,385
Quote:
You ain't had nothin' till you've had my wife's homemade buttermilk biscuits, with your choice of sausage pepper gravy or homemade meyer lemon jam (lemons from our garden).  Spare the butter?  I don't THINK so.

Biscuits and gravy or jam don't mix with turntables.
Sponge bath required between feeding sessions!

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #1,808 of 5,385
Quote:
Quote:

Biscuits and gravy or jam don't mix with turntables.
Sponge bath required between feeding sessions!

Yeah, but it's so s-m-o-o-t-h ............

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #1,810 of 5,385

Those Brubeck albums are great. Did you get the DRI from RSD this year which is the Trio? I did a write up on them both here: http://baptisedinwax.tumblr.com/post/51837561459/jazz-double-header-today-dave-brubeck-is-one-of

As for food...do you ever make it to NIOSA?

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #1,811 of 5,385
Also, question for 103 fans...

Has anyone compared the Zu models to ~1k MC carts? I'm really considering their Grade 1 upgrade for my next cart and maybe the new Rega stage.

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #1,812 of 5,385
I'm pretty curious about the Zus, if I don't find the Soundsmith 103R a big improvement over the stock 103 I may look into those. I'm a bit concerned about the 103R after what AS mentioned regarding the compliance differences, and the even lower output level.

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #1,813 of 5,385
Quote:

DL103 is a low compliance cart - in any version, specially R.

I've been trying to discern the difference in compliance between the 103 and the 103R, and they seem to be rated the same. Are you speaking of modified versions by any chance?

Jun 5, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #1,814 of 5,385
Quote:

Hope y'all enjoy!

That is such a wonderful looking turntable.  Must sound just as gorgeous as well. 

On another note,I had a question regarding entry-level turntables; which do you guys recommend, a Project Carbon Debut or a Rega RP1?  I know the Rega is a tad more, but it also has upgradable option (i.e. the upgrade kit or the Groovetracer products).  I'm aware of the used options, but I know there are many things to worry for when shopping used.. 

Jun 5, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #1,815 of 5,385
Quote:
That is such a wonderful looking turntable.  Must sound just as gorgeous as well. 

On another note,I had a question regarding entry-level turntables; which do you guys recommend, a Project Carbon Debut or a Rega RP1?  I know the Rega is a tad more, but it also has upgradable option (i.e. the upgrade kit or the Groovetracer products).  I'm aware of the used options, but I know there are many things to worry for when shopping used.. 

I prefer the Rega (I just picked one up for my Dad) but the Pro-ject does come with a better cartridge. 
I'd still select the Rega.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back