Possibly The Most Distrubing Crime in Recent History
Aug 4, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #76 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is impossible for me to fathom what could drive a "person" to acts such as this. While we can discuss the fact he or she has "mental issues" then the next question is, how do you protect yourself? Sadly the answer is you can't since you do not know when someone will snap. It is this sense of helplessness that should give each of us concern and worry while at the same time continue on living and hoping that we do not encounter one of this sickos.

I firmly believe there is a natural switch in our heads that prevent us from doing acts like this, in fact that switch prevents any non life threatening acts of murder from happening. Funny part is people kill people for no reason at all everyday, either it be for war or as abortion...its all the same... reasons may be different but the switch is off to take another human life, hell taking your own life the switch has to off.

Either his first name is Adolf or his last name is Dahmer, either he did it for his beliefs, or he did it cause he was pissed at his fellow high school students..
there really is no difference besides he made a show of it by holding up the head, stabbing a few extra times, and sampling his kill uncooked...

guess its part of being human, bugs come out from time to time.

Aug 4, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #77 of 96
That's sickening. Unreal. Sometimes, real life is scarier than anything we could ever imagine. Though, somehow I suspect this guy has been watching too many horror flicks... don't know... just a guess.

Aug 4, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #78 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by LUMIERE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's sickening. Unreal. Sometimes, real life is scarier than anything we could ever imagine. Though, somehow I suspect this guy has been watching too many horror flicks... don't know... just a guess.

Truth is usually more terrifying than fiction, in my experience.

Aug 4, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #81 of 96
Wow! Thread grew pretty fast. Anyway, yes.. the jokes were in bad form and I think it's caused by not being able to relate to it. It was a freak incident and thus no one should be concerned in experiencing this sort of thing. It's terrifying to think about but that's all it will be, *thoughts* unless you're extremely unlucky.

And this comes to show that you can't judge anyone with any certainty. The only choice IMO, is to show respect for everyone and hope for the best. I feel as though behaviors and actions towards one another either big or small can add up and if it's focused in the wrong way on the wrong person, it can get dangerous.

Aug 5, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #82 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvessel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow! Thread grew pretty fast. Anyway, yes.. the jokes were in bad form and I think it's caused by not being able to relate to it.

While it may seem like callousness and insensitivity, the jokes are completely normal and to be expected in a situation like this. There's a reason "gallows humor" or "black humor" is prevalent amongst professionals who deal with death and other horrors on a daily basis - emergency room personnel, EMT technicians, soldiers, cops, etc.

Humor is a coping mechanism, a barrier humans utilize in order to deal with truly awful things. If you make a joke about it, it is not so horrible, since nobody jokes about truly horrible things, right? So while it may seem cruel and unfeeling, there is nothing we can do about the poor kid who died so gruesomely. The only thing we can do is to try and make ourselves feel a little better about it so we don't go through life paralyzed by fear. In order to do that, we joke.

Aug 5, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #83 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by santiclaws /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While it may seem like callousness and insensitivity, the jokes are completely normal and to be expected in a situation like this. There's a reason "gallows humor" or "black humor" is prevalent amongst professionals who deal with death and other horrors on a daily basis - emergency room personnel, EMT technicians, soldiers, cops, etc.

Humor is a coping mechanism, a barrier humans utilize in order to deal with truly awful things. If you make a joke about it, it is not so horrible, since nobody jokes about truly horrible things, right? So while it may seem cruel and unfeeling, there is nothing we can do about the poor kid who died so gruesomely. The only thing we can do is to try and make ourselves feel a little better about it so we don't go through life paralyzed by fear. In order to do that, we joke.

Very well-stated.

Aug 5, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #84 of 96
Quote:

Very well-stated.

I agree. But then again, defense mechanism or not, there are times when gallows humour can be extremely insensitive and hurtful to others.

Aug 5, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #85 of 96
What's most disturbing to me is that no one tried to stop the guy.

Then again, it is Canada, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Wonder when the laws making carrying knives illegal will come into effect up there now...

Aug 5, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #87 of 96
chopping up someone and eating him is not as bad? ughghg i just dont know.

Aug 5, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #89 of 96
A few threads up, there was a "nicely" stated reason why people make jokes about situations like this. Yes, it was well reasoned and quite intelligent. But it was also just rhetoric. We can convince ourselves into believing all behavior is justified to some degree. But where do you draw the line? I don't see anyone making jokes about the Holocaust. To me, this is one of those situations where you don't cross that line. Figure out some other way to cope rather than making jokes about it. Allow yourself to cry.

Aug 5, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #90 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few threads up, there was a "nicely" stated reason why people make jokes about situations like this. Yes, it was well reasoned and quite intelligent. But it was also just rhetoric. We can convince ourselves into believing all behavior is justified to some degree. But where do you draw the line? I don't see anyone making jokes about the Holocaust. To me, this is one of those situations where you don't cross that line. Figure out some other way to cope rather than making jokes about it. Allow yourself to cry.

Humor is a normal and healthy response in dealing with stressfull events and painful situations. You can make your own choice in how you deal with things. I find it disrespectful that you are judging those who make jokes. Their way of coping with things may be different from yours but you have no right to deny them their way.

Anyway, I think this event though quite shocking is in no way the "worst crime in recent history". Unless you dismiss the whole planet but for a handfull of western nations that is, which regretfully is a very common attitude in most of the western world.

Let me name a few real candidates for worst crime in recent history:

The Srebrenica Massacre, also known as Srebrenica Genocide, was the July 1995 killing of an estimated 8,000 Bosniak men and boys in the region of Srebrenica in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

The "war" in Darfur. Estimates of civilian deaths run in the hundreds of thousands. I use the word war in quotes because most of the violence that's going on is killing, looting, and systematic rape of the non-Arab population by government militias.

The Rwandan Genocide. The 1994 mass killing of hundreds of thousands of Rwanda's minority Tutsis and the moderates of its Hutu majority. Over the course of approximately 100 days, from April 6 through to mid July, at least 500,000 people were killed. Most estimates are of a death toll nearer the 800,000 and 1,000,000 marks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back