Possible to splice thin IEM cable?
Feb 10, 2012 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

GigaFi

500+ Head-Fier
I've had to cut up some IEMs for warranty purposes. For the sake of science, I was wondering if it was possible to splice the really thin cables back together?

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/4142/q2101845.jpg

I have two ends of those that I need to put together, looks like 4 colored wires on each half.

I also notice that each wire have a colored coating on them that won't let give a reading on a multimeter, what's the best way to strip the extremely thin coating?

I have only a little bit of experience soldering and none piecing wires together so this will be a good learning experience 
wink.gif

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #2 of 5
Sure it's possible. The picture isn't very good but I'm assuming there is an enamel coating on the wire. My favorite way to strip that is to put a blob of solder on the tip of my iron and then submerge the wire in the solder. The coating will burn right off. There are a lot of other methods as well but I have found that solder is the quickest and easiest.

Feb 13, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #3 of 5
+1.  Every wire I've ever tried to strip with a lighter (as was recommended elsewhere on head-fi for those enamel coatings) wasn't nearly as conductive as when I let some hot solder do the work.

If you've got those little non-conductive fibers in there, like fabric or plastic, go ahead and shrink those away with a lighter or with the proximity heat from your iron.  Not sure if that's what the picture shows.

Feb 13, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #5 of 5
Solder them. Twisting them together is bound to fail sooner or later... my bet would be sooner. You will need to insulate them with something afterwards. Fingernail polish would work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back