Possible that my body "rejects" in-ear headphones?
Jan 28, 2011 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

blackzarg

100+ Head-Fier
Background: I used to wear in ear headphones in ~2007. My first in-ear headphones were Sennheiser Cx-300 and the V-Moda Bass-Freq. I lost those some where (the Sennheisers I found again recently), and moved onto full size headphones such as the Audio Technica AD-700 and the AKG K702 (and a slew of other full size headphones).

I realized that I didn't like pleather/leather earpads, so only kept my headphones velour earpads. Velour earpads don't give much isolation, and both the AT and the AKG are open headphones, so I decided to look at IEM's for noise isolation. I got the Klipsch S2, the Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10, the RE0, and most recently, the Klipsch Promedia (supposedly the same as the S4/S4i), and I just can't find a good fit for any - they're just too uncomfortable in my ears. Well, actually, just my right ear. My left ear is fine, but I think my right ear canal is smaller than the left ear canal, and IEMs just wont fit correctly.

Any suggestions on how to get a better fit? Even the foam tips don't fit my right ear canal.

Jan 28, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 22
Have you thought about custom IEMs? Some are cheaper than $500 these days.

Jan 28, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 22
Sensaphonics can make custom silicone sleeves for alot of the more popular universals. You might look into that. I did for some Shure SE530 and it made a huge difference. I JUST got my JH16Pro customs and they are a whole other level. If you can afford to buy new customs that might be your best bang for the buck.

Jan 28, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 22

Quote:
Have you thought about custom IEMs? Some are cheaper than $500 these days.

a single driver custom can be had for $200 plus the cost of impressions ($20-50 usually) or a custom sleeve for $80, best prices I have seen so far

Jan 28, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #6 of 22

Quote:
a single driver custom can be had for $200 plus the cost of impressions ($20-50 usually) or a custom sleeve for $80, best prices I have seen so far

Actually, $139.95 including impressions
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #7 of 22
Thanks for the replies guys! I think I may give custom ones a try... I also saw a video of someone creating their own mold out of custom earplugs for $10 - I may give those a try on my Klipsch Promedia first.

Quote:
Quote:

Actually, $139.95 including impressions
wink.gif

Thanks for the link!

Jan 29, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 22
Late to the party here, but after a lot of attempts I found that what works best for me is a foam in one ear and a different-sized gel in the other ear.  And sometimes even that fit changes based on mood, climate, I don't even know.  Like right now, after a day of wearing my Shures, my cheapo JVC Marshmallows are all I can stand. 

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #9 of 22
I have really small ear canals :/ it's so small that even the awesome guys at unique melody emailed me saying that my ear canals "were like a baby", so needless to say iem tips never fit my ears well (even the smallest kind). I honestly think custom earphones is your solution, because it's attuned to your ears, therefore giving you a perfect fit.

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #10 of 22

Quote:
I have really small ear canals :/ it's so small that even the awesome guys at unique melody emailed me saying that my ear canals "were like a baby", so needless to say iem tips never fit my ears well (even the smallest kind). I honestly think custom earphones is your solution, because it's attuned to your ears, therefore giving you a perfect fit.

LOL...i think they were very upfront 

Jan 29, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #11 of 22

Quote:
Background: I used to wear in ear headphones in ~2007. My first in-ear headphones were Sennheiser Cx-300 and the V-Moda Bass-Freq. I lost those some where (the Sennheisers I found again recently), and moved onto full size headphones such as the Audio Technica AD-700 and the AKG K702 (and a slew of other full size headphones).

I realized that I didn't like pleather/leather earpads, so only kept my headphones velour earpads. Velour earpads don't give much isolation, and both the AT and the AKG are open headphones, so I decided to look at IEM's for noise isolation. I got the Klipsch S2, the Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10, the RE0, and most recently, the Klipsch Promedia (supposedly the same as the S4/S4i), and I just can't find a good fit for any - they're just too uncomfortable in my ears. Well, actually, just my right ear. My left ear is fine, but I think my right ear canal is smaller than the left ear canal, and IEMs just wont fit correctly.

Any suggestions on how to get a better fit? Even the foam tips don't fit my right ear canal.

You have my sympathies, I have similar problems.  Left ear fits fine, right ear is a real pain (sometimes literally so!)to get a seal.  I'm toying with the idea of customs instead of trying more iems that won't fit.  Westone, Monster senn's none of them fit 100%. 

Jan 29, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #12 of 22
I used to have that problem with IEM's, but I finally figured out that the IEMs that sit in my ear, rather than stick out, provide the best fit. Take a look at something like the Westone UM1, or even MEElectronics M6 and see if that style works for you.

Jan 30, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #13 of 22
I hate in ear headphone because they always fall out no matter what! I only buy over ear headphones now! These are my new favorite ipod headphones. I know that they are over rated monster headphones and over priced but they actually feel great and never fall out my ears. Also have some great sound cancellation 

http://beatsbydre.com/products/Products.aspx?pid=B5799&cat=2

Jan 30, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #14 of 22
I hate in ear headphone because they always fall out no matter what! I only buy over ear headphones now! These are my new favorite ipod headphones. I know that they are over rated monster headphones and over priced but they actually feel great and never fall out my ears. Also have some great sound cancellation 

http://beatsbydre.com/products/Products.aspx?pid=B5799&cat=2

but...they have no mids!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back