Position on burning in headphones
Feb 25, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #19 of 42
What do you guys think about the Sony MDR X10? Picking them up this weekend from Nebraska Furniture Mart on sale for $99.99.

I think they sound like a giant pile of bass with muffled mids and highs, but a lot of people like 'em so maybe you will. 

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #20 of 42
It is @Claritas I was wondering if these particular head phones would benefit from burn in

Oh, sorry. Obviously, it depends on the model. Some benefit very little (KNS8400); others a lot (HA-S500). Either way, it's worth trying. I like to alternate pink noise and some bass heavy music at a little louder than normal listening. Duration of burn in varies too. SR80i took maybe 40 hours, but HA-S500 took over 70 hours.

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #21 of 42
Feb 25, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #23 of 42
I appreciate Tyll's contribution in this as in everything, but measurements can currently tell us only so much: you have to experience things for yourself.

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #25 of 42
Couldn't you take 2 of the same headphones, one pair burned in and one not?

And compare them? I did that once, with HA-S500 because It was cheap enough. BIG differences. I liked it more before burn in, but it was objectively better after.

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #26 of 42
Couldn't you take 2 of the same headphones, one pair burned in and one not?

There have been numerous headphones where the build of the drivers was inconsistent right from the factory, so not really.

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #27 of 42
  I appreciate Tyll's contribution in this as in everything, but measurements can currently tell us only so much: you have to experience things for yourself.

I agree with this as well. It's important to experience these things yourself. You can only learn so much via reading. That's how I formed my opinion on burn in, by experience, and who knows, maybe eventually something will come along that will change it.

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #28 of 42
  There have been numerous headphones where the build of the drivers was inconsistent right from the factory, so not really.

That's true (especially with some firms). Presumably one could measure and listen to them to match the drivers before testing for burn in. 

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #29 of 42

That's true (especially with some firms). Presumably one could measure and listen to them to match the drivers before testing for burn in. 

You could do that...
But over on that "Pirate Site", they found 6 pairs of DT1350's all measuring differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back