Portaphiles get no love?
Feb 26, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #91 of 247
They were duracell vcr/dvd external batteries and were round about 4 or 5 inches in diameter. Best Buy also has them,but at around $40. Theyre 9v and i forget the mah's.

All those stores like BestBuy,Circuit City, etc., have external battery packs like that.
I think theyre sold out at office max though.

Feb 27, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #92 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Romanee.....How does the Maxxed Portaphile compare to the Pico and the Predator, and after a description of the comparison (amp side)....which do you prefer in order of the 3 ?

Oh also.....that noisey meet was the Nov 2007 Babylon NY meet when i compared your (Romanee) Portaphile to the Tomahawk and Hornet. In all that noise,i liked the Portaphile better and bought the V2^2 Maxxed and also the V2.

My wallet is much lighter to carry around so i have room for my Portaphile now because of you.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't have time to do a writeup, being overwhelmed with work, and I also won't post any final remarks about Pico and Predator until I feel the Pico has stabilized, which it hasn't at this time -- so, of course, I can't yet say how the Portaphile compares to the other amps.

As a reminder/warning regarding the iPower 500mAh Li-Po rechargeables at Thomas Distributing: do NOT buy them at this time. Many members have expressed that theirs have failed miserably, so unless iPower fixes the issues and Thomas stop selling this lousy crop -- stay away. (Mine are fine since they're the original, larger version and having been working perfectly for a very long time -- but are apparently too tight a fit for some Portaphile cases and most other amps -- and no longer available.)

Mar 10, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #93 of 247
I have owned the portaphile V2 2 Maxxed for about a year now and previously I have owned a Tomahawk. I must say that although I do not know technical terms I do find that I enjoy the Portaphile more with my Sens 650. However I enjoy my Beyers 880's with the Darkvoice amp more than with the portaphile.

That being said you cannot go wrong with this amp. Its a great buy and the design and assembly is done extremly well.

My post is in regards to a question about batteries for my portaphile, I found these an was wondering if anyone had any experience with them.

9 volt lithium ion battery

Mar 10, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #94 of 247
I have had my X^3 for a couple of years and it is great. I have had the headphone and input jacks come lose, but Cesar has fixed it very quickly.
I had Cesar max out my X^3 and it sounds great, although it does eat 9v batteries. I mainly use it plugged in and listen to it at home.
It is a little bigger than other amps, the switches are harder to get to and change, but it does have a very nice warm sound that is well worth the money.
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 9:44 AM Post #95 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by eddystoner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have owned the portaphile V2 2 Maxxed for about a year now and previously I have owned a Tomahawk. I must say that although I do not know technical terms I do find that I enjoy the Portaphile more with my Sens 650. However I enjoy my Beyers 880's with the Darkvoice amp more than with the portaphile.

That being said you cannot go wrong with this amp. Its a great buy and the design and assembly is done extremly well.

My post is in regards to a question about batteries for my portaphile, I found these an was wondering if anyone had any experience with them.

9 volt lithium ion battery

be careful with the dimensions on that battery. Do't know if it will fit. IF it's too tight, though, you may want to take some very coarse sandpaper and sand the edges of the battery. Have done that a few times and works well.

But--if you want an alternate plan rathr than buy batteries and the specific charger, try the Ipower 300 mah from Thomas Industries. The 300 mah lasts me about eight hours or so in the Portaphile. And can use virtually any recharger

Mar 11, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #96 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But--if you want an alternate plan rathr than buy batteries and the specific charger, try the Ipower 300 mah from Thomas Industries. The 300 mah lasts me about eight hours or so in the Portaphile. And can use virtually any recharger

X2. I use those in my Portaphile and they slide in and out easily and work very well. I do carry around a spare charged one with me when I use my Portaphile to commute into the city. And also I've had good experience buying from Thomas Ind. They ship quickly and when I had other rechargeables for my Portaphile that had issues (bad batch) they exchanged them without any problems.
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #97 of 247
Quote:

be careful with the dimensions on that battery. Do't know if it will fit. IF it's too tight, though, you may want to take some very coarse sandpaper and sand the edges of the battery. Have done that a few times and works well.

I searched Thomas Distributing: what iPower 300mAh do you have? I see Powerex 300mAh 9V NIMH rechargeable, iPower 500mAh 9V Li-Po rechargeable, and iPower 260mAh 9V NIMH rechageble - but I haven't yet found any iPower 300mAh of any type. ?!?

If it's the Powerex 300mAh 9V NIMH rechargeable, how do you get 8 hours? My iPower 500mAh 9V Li-Po gets about 8-8.5 with Class A on and wide bandwidth off.

Comments?

Mar 12, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #98 of 247
Sorry--memory lapse again. It was the Powerx 300mAh--the one at the top of the page. I'll time it again, but it is around eight hours ith all switches "on" and wide bandwidth "off". One point, though: could it be that mine is a newer version than yours, Romanee?? because on mine, Cesar once said the bandwidth "on" or "off" would not make as much sonic difference than it would with the older Portaphile. Apparently he changed the cap?? But just guessing.

sorry for the battery error

Mar 12, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #99 of 247
Quote:

Returned the whole kaboodle and got PowerX 9.6v 300 mah batteries from Thomas that last me about eight hours, all switching "on" in the Portaphile except the "wide bandwidth".

Anyway, would highly recommend visiting the Thomas site and checking out that PowerX 9.6 volt. Plus it's a smaller size than most 9v batteries and fits very nicely inot the Portaphile

Just checking again because the website says the 300 mah are only 9V from what I see and the 230 mah are 9.6v. So I am just trying to clarify.

In any event I ordered 3 of the 230 9.6v batteries and they should be delivered this week.

Mar 12, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #100 of 247
The only things i dont like about the maxxed version of the portaphile is the battery life and implimentation of the battery. Its a pain in the AXX routing the wires in there to fit everything back in,and im afraid from constantly changing batteries every 2-3 hours , the wire will pull out of the board and ill have to try to fix it. I want to find another way of installing a battery in there. Maybe a holder of some kind or something so i can just drop the battery in there easily.
The older one was great. The inside had much more room, and the caps formed a little room inside to hold the battery and protect the board. I love my V2. I bring the regular V2 portably,and although I love the sound of my V2^2 maxxed, i leave it home on the wallwart and use it there. The older one has acceptable battery life also.

Mar 13, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #101 of 247
I also use the 300mah powerex by maha (in my V2, not squared). To be clear, they are 8.4v.

Apr 5, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #102 of 247
Im sitting here listening to my Portaphile v2^2 Maxxed and wondering where all the P'phile people went?

Anyone change their minds about the Portaphiles being the best after the Predator,Pico,MiniBox E+, 2Move, IQube, Mini3, and whatever else is stealing the stage?
I would assume everyone has been able to hear some or all of them by now.

Apr 5, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #103 of 247
Quote:

Im sitting here listening to my Portaphile v2^2 Maxxed and wondering where all the P'phile people went?

Anyone change their minds about the Portaphiles being the best after the Predator,Pico,MiniBox E+, 2Move, IQube, Mini3, and whatever else is stealing the stage?

I like my Portaphile. But due to the short battery life, on a commuting basis I use my minibox e+ now daily. With my Portaphile for use at home. The Portaphile has a more bass than the minibox e+ and overall I like the sound of it better, but the minibox e+ is no slouch and for the price is a nice amp. I am also on pre-order for a pico and heard one recently and while it has just a little bit less bass than the portaphile, the seperation and clarity of the pico is sweet. I'll probably hold on to all three and enjoy them each for what they have to offer.

Apr 5, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #104 of 247
Quote:

Whatcha mean "after"...!!! ...
eek.gif

cool.gif

Apr 5, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #105 of 247
The Portaphile movement is not dead! Just the ones in the "know" keep it going. A FOTM may come and go. Some things may never change. Listening to my Portaphile may be one of them. If "some" don't get it, it is OK. Really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back