Portaphile Thread
Aug 15, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #151 of 425
Quote:

The type of potentiometer do affect the sound :wink:as for the USB to 2.1mm - http://www.amazon.com/BiXPower-Power-Cable-Popular-Connector /dp/B006MWXZM0/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356519417&sr=1-3&keywords=usb+to+dc

Yeah, but apparently not everyone thinks the X is better despite the more expensive pot..

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #154 of 425
Quote:
Yeah, but apparently not everyone thinks the X is better despite the more expensive pot..

Yeah, but apparently you haven't listened to both of them and can't describe why the 627 is better.  And, yeah, you haven't cited sources for your contention that not everyone thinks the X is better...

Just sayin...

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #155 of 425
Quote:

Yeah, but apparently you haven't listened to both of them and can't describe why the 627 is better.  And, yeah, you haven't cited sources for your contention that not everyone thinks the X is better...

Just sayin...

This is what Cesar told me in an email:

"[size=11.818181991577148px]Hi Jason, they do have a different sound signature and this mainly from the use of a different potentiometer.  The 627X is using a TDK 2CP-601.  This is a higher end potentiometer than the one used in the 627 which uses a high quality Alps potentiometer.  Some people who have heard both amplifiers have preferred the 627X but others have preferred the 627.  Other than this change, and the use of a larger battery, the entire amplifier sections are identical.  Unfortunately, there isn't enough people out there yet with both amplifiers to offer much feedback on the differences.  Thanks again and let me know if you have any other questions.  I will look forward to hearing back from you."[/size]

This is what Mike from Headfonia told me in their Q&A page:

[size=11.5pt]"The original 627 has a mid centric sound with a beautiful tubey midrange and an extremely spacious soundstage. The 627X has a more flat sound with better low bass reproduction. The sound of both are quite different from the HM901 I listened to in Tokyo and I still prefer the original 627 for driving the HE-500 and HE-6."[/size]

[size=11.5pt]And when I clarified if he preferred the 627 or the 627X, he said:[/size]

"I still like the 627 original better."

Hope this helps! Regardless, going by Mike's comments I'd prefer spacious soundstage and tubey midrange to flat + better low bass.

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #157 of 425
Frankly I would expect the differences to be minimal. After hearing from Cesar that I can use a portable USB battery on-the-go to recharge the 627 (which I carry anyway for my iPhone), I signed up for that.

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #158 of 425
Thanks jelt2359 for the elucidation.  I have a DX100/627X combo and find the low bass which Mike describes a significant improvement over the DX100 by itself and just right for my taste. I'm not a bass head, I listen primarily to classical music and found the DX100 somewhat lacking in that regard.

Quote:
I am loving F111 and 627x pairing. With the right gear 627x is heavenly. It is super smoooooooooth!

Me too!
beerchug.gif

Aug 20, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #160 of 425
Quote:
are you happy about your f111 Stock cable?

Yes I am, but I have nothing to compare it to.  I've kept an eye out for peoples experiences with other cables for the F111 but haven't seen anything to convince me that another cable would be a clear upgrade.

Aug 22, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #161 of 425
Just joined the Portaphile 627x club. Unit arrived yesterday - thank you Cesar!

I did a quick a/b with my current portable amp the RS P51 Mustang. Source gear is a 7th generation ipod classic running into into a Cypherlabs Algorythm Solo R. Headphones used on high gain Ultrasone Pro900 and AKG K701.Low gain  IEM is the Visonic GR001.

First let me say that the P51 is a great little amp. Amazing performance and battery life in a tiny package. In addition the P51 is years old and quite burned in, the 627x is new out of the box. That said the 627x is better in every regard. Better more tightly controlled bass, wide and deeper sound stage, more clearly articulated mids and highs, no muddiness in complex passages and finally more musical. The 627x is a great amp for those willing to travel with a bigger load. I will continue to bring the P51 with me as a back up for he 627x's shorter battery life, however the 627x will be my go to amp. Can't wait to see how the sound resolves as the amp burns in.

By the way doing the a/b, a/b/c really demonstrates how good the GR001s really are. What a fantastic bargin!! 

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #162 of 425
Congratulations badgerbimmer, I've no doubt that you'll enjoy your 627x for years to come. My 627x should be arriving next week and I can't wait. 

Cheers,
Andy.

Quote:
Just joined the Portaphile 627x club. Unit arrived yesterday - thank you Cesar!

I did a quick a/b with my current portable amp the RS P51 Mustang. Source gear is a 7th generation ipod classic running into into a Cypherlabs Algorythm Solo R. Headphones used on high gain Ultrasone Pro900 and AKG K701.Low gain  IEM is the Visonic GR001.

First let me say that the P51 is a great little amp. Amazing performance and battery life in a tiny package. In addition the P51 is years old and quite burned in, the 627x is new out of the box. That said the 627x is better in every regard. Better more tightly controlled bass, wide and deeper sound stage, more clearly articulated mids and highs, no muddiness in complex passages and finally more musical. The 627x is a great amp for those willing to travel with a bigger load. I will continue to bring the P51 with me as a back up for he 627x's shorter battery life, however the 627x will be my go to amp. Can't wait to see how the sound resolves as the amp burns in.

By the way doing the a/b, a/b/c really demonstrates how good the GR001s really are. What a fantastic bargin!! 

Aug 23, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #163 of 425
627x paired with brighter sources/IEM will give the best match up. I incredibly enjoy how it pairs with DD socket 1. I like it more than the AK120 if ignoring size factor. 

Aug 24, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #164 of 425
I can conform a perfect synergy with CK100PRO and F111. While the amp works great on already a very balanced sounding F111 it provides the midrange boost on what is very transparent, detailed and slightly V shaped sounding CK100PRO. 

I prefer Ck100pro sound a lot more than T5- which cost now 3 times more than Ck100pro.

I can't say I like the pairing with T5p, I need to make my mine on it but for now F111, ER4S and CK100Pro  all sound great with most improvement on Ck100pro and reference headphone sound from F111 and in case of er4s the sound is not changed as much and remains in its own amazing status as is. 

Aug 25, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #165 of 425
Just got these. Does anyone else have to turn the knob twice to turn on the unit?

They sound great, a definite upgrade from my hm901's balanced card. Like average_joe I feel this is the best bass I've ever heard in a portable amp (and I don't mean quantity- rather the impact, the details and the quality), and the airiness and soundstage is also quite special. The treble is also very energetic while mids remain prominent (important for the vocal music I like). Also the separation, clarity and detail is top notch- I'm hearing new details to my Favourite test songs, songs ive probably heard thousands of times before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back