Portaphile Thread
Jul 11, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #122 of 425
Kindly ask if it is possible to use portable power bank to charge the amp while listening?

Kinda like the 627 size and look but other than the 4 hours playing time, i read somewhere that the bass is much better with 627x?

If the sound is the same and one can use portable powerbank to charge the amp while listening, i'll consider to get the regular 627.

Thanks

Jul 13, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #123 of 425
ODAC+627x >>>>>AK120
DD socket 1+627x>=AK120
ODAC+627x>DD socket 1+627x
ODAC+627x>AK120+627x

ODAC is made to be paired with 627x!

Jul 14, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #125 of 425
HM901 is a tricky one as it utilizes an amp board which uses opa627. My guess is that hm901+upgrades board should give you a sound better than ODAC+627x simply because (ofcourse assuming the dual mono dac is designed perfectly) hm-901 uses a dual mono dac from sabre which is a higher level dac chip compared the one used in odac. 

Also while we are at it ODAC+MHd-Q7 sounds is on the same line of the 627x+ODAC. MHd-Q7 is one amazing sounding amp with one critical fault which is its constant 2 db hissing. 

Jul 25, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #127 of 425
Quote:
has anyone ever tried op-amp rolling with the 627?

Not possible and really no point. Many people purchase 627 because of the opamp used in it. It is hard to design something that brings opa627 perfectly. 

to my ears 627 is as close as a solid state can get to a tube amp sound. 

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #130 of 425
My 627x arrived this morning and I've been listening to my DX100/F111 rig with and without the 627x. I love the sound of the DX100/F111 kit,  I got the 627x mainly out of curiosity rather than any deficiency of the DX100.  

My first impression was there wasn't a significant difference, but as I listened to a wider variety of music the differences were readily apparent. Mostly they were not dramatic but none the less significant.

The first thing I noticed was it sounded as if I had moved from a seat 1/3 way back from the orchestra to one up much closer.  The sound was overall clearer, better defined. Next I noticed an extension of the bass and also treble.

On keyboard music (Soler harpsichord sonata, Albeniz/Iberia) there was an increased clarity of the playing of each hand.  There seemed to be more space around each note and the notes sounded fuller.  This is music that I'm very familiar with and really enjoy the interplay of the two lines.  The DX100/F111 is excellent in this regard but the 627x provides a noticeable increase in clarity that I found very enjoyable.

I was really surprised when I tried Led Zeppelin - "How Many More Times". I find the mastering annoying with the spotlighting, excessive separation, and other gimmicks but still love the music. The percussion was so much louder and with more attack that it was almost too loud for me. The F111's aren't noted for deep bass, but with the added extension of the 627x it's more than adequate for me. 

I'm not sure but I don't feel the 627x emphasizes the bass, it just extents it and controls it better so one can hear more of what's there. I didn't notice anything amiss on any music I listened to other than the Zep. 

FWIW,

O.

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #131 of 425
My 627x arrived this morning and I've been listening to my DX100/F111 rig with and without the 627x. I love the sound of the DX100/F111 kit,  I got the 627x mainly out of curiosity rather than any deficiency of the DX100.  

My first impression was there wasn't a significant difference, but as I listened to a wider variety of music the differences were readily apparent. Mostly they were not dramatic but none the less significant.

The first thing I noticed was it sounded as if I had moved from a seat 1/3 way back from the orchestra to one up much closer.  The sound was overall clearer, better defined. Next I noticed an extension of the bass and also treble.

On keyboard music (Soler harpsichord sonata, Albeniz/Iberia) there was an increased clarity of the playing of each hand.  There seemed to be more space around each note and the notes sounded fuller.  This is music that I'm very familiar with and really enjoy the interplay of the two lines.  The DX100/F111 is excellent in this regard but the 627x provides a noticeable increase in clarity that I found very enjoyable.

I was really surprised when I tried Led Zeppelin - "How Many More Times". I find the mastering annoying with the spotlighting, excessive separation, and other gimmicks but still love the music. The percussion was so much louder and with more attack that it was almost too loud for me. The F111's aren't noted for deep bass, but with the added extension of the 627x it's more than adequate for me. 

I'm not sure but I don't feel the 627x emphasizes the bass, it just extents it and controls it better so one can hear more of what's there. I didn't notice anything amiss on any music I listened to other than the Zep. 

FWIW,

O.

Sounds good! Can you post more 627x impressions after you've burned them in for a few days? Thanks for the impressions, very helpful!

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #132 of 425
I've spent several hours listening primarily to classical music, mostly orchestral.

To my ear, the FitEar F111 paired with the DX100 is truly exceptional with chamber music, but richly textured orchestral music isn't reproduced to quite the same level.  But with the 627x in the mix it's a different story.

With the 627x the F111's exceptional clarity is enhanced and the voices of the intruments are richer and seem more accurate. This along with the closer presentation gives the instruments more space and individuality.  As a result the orchestral colours are more vivid and the textures are more distinct.  The extension of the base really makes a difference too.  It's never out of place but provides an element of solidity that I didn't realize was missing.

I found myself listening to various works just for the orchestral colour and beauty of the sounds. On good recordings I felt immersed in the beautiful sound.Things like 'Pictures at an Exhibition', and Kodaly's  'Dances of Marosszék'.  The several Mahler works I listened to really benefited from the increased clarity and added bass.  The enhancements to timbre were also revealing. The opening passage of the 3rd movement of Symphony No 1 (Frère Jacques/Funeral March) took on a sinister, almost grotesque quality that was chilling.  The subtle enhancements to orchestral colour really adds to the emotional content of the works.

I don't listen to much rock, just classic rock like CSN,  The Doors,  Zeppelin, etc.  Although the sound was enhanced, the mixing on many of those works is exposed even more and the experience wasn't anywhere near as positive as when listening to well-recorded classical music.

As classical music is my main interest this suits me just fine. I'm was very impressed by the DX100/F111 combo but the addition of the 627x has taken the sound to a new level that is even more engaging and enjoyable.

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #133 of 425
I've spent several hours listening primarily to classical music, mostly orchestral.

To my ear, the FitEar F111 paired with the DX100 is truly exceptional with chamber music, but richly textured orchestral music isn't reproduced to quite the same level.  But with the 627x in the mix it's a different story.

With the 627x the F111's exceptional clarity is enhanced and the voices of the intruments are richer and seem more accurate. This along with the closer presentation gives the instruments more space and individuality.  As a result the orchestral colours are more vivid and the textures are more distinct.  The extension of the base really makes a difference too.  It's never out of place but provides an element of solidity that I didn't realize was missing.

I found myself listening to various works just for the orchestral colour and beauty of the sounds. On good recordings I felt immersed in the beautiful sound.Things like 'Pictures at an Exhibition', and Kodaly's  'Dances of Marosszék'.  The several Mahler works I listened to really benefited from the increased clarity and added bass.  The enhancements to timbre were also revealing. The opening passage of the 3rd movement of Symphony No 1 (Frère Jacques/Funeral March) took on a sinister, almost grotesque quality that was chilling.  The subtle enhancements to orchestral colour really adds to the emotional content of the works.

I don't listen to much rock, just classic rock like CSN,  The Doors,  Zeppelin, etc.  Although the sound was enhanced, the mixing on many of those works is exposed even more and the experience wasn't anywhere near as positive as when listening to well-recorded classical music.

As classical music is my main interest this suits me just fine. I'm was very impressed by the DX100/F111 combo but the addition of the 627x has taken the sound to a new level that is even more engaging and enjoyable.

Sounds promising, might just have to get one for myself, I wonder why this amp isn't more popular?

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #134 of 425
Quote:
Sounds promising, might just have to get one for myself, I wonder why this amp isn't more popular?

My guess is the 627 was hindered by the short battery life; the 627x largely rectifies that but at a cost of size and weight. It's really not a portable amp.  Also the appearence won't win any design awards, it's almost an 'industrial' look. Little things like the power switch being too close to the volume knob are a bit annoying and it just doesn't have the look and feel of a top-end portable audio product to me. Also the 627x has only been available for a short time and Cesar just hasn't been able to build that many and it's at the expensive end of the price spectrum.

However, the 627x is capable of producing some truly exceptional sound when matched up with the right gear and source material. The design aesthetics aren't that important to me,  for me it's all about the sound.

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #135 of 425
My guess is the 627 was hindered by the short battery life; the 627x largely rectifies that but at a cost of size and weight. It's really not a portable amp.  Also the appearence won't win any design awards, it's almost an 'industrial' look. Little things like the power switch being too close to the volume knob are a bit annoying and it just doesn't have the look and feel of a top-end portable audio product to me. Also the 627x has only been available for a short time and Cesar just hasn't been able to build that many.

However, the 627x is capable of producing some truly exceptional sound when matched up with the right gear and source material. The design aesthetics aren't that important to me,  for me it's all about the sound.

Would you say this is the best sounding portable amp you have ever heard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back