Portaphile Thread
Jun 28, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #106 of 425
Quote:

Thanks for the response.

I don't know how to check if the battery is fully charged.  I'll leave it on the charger for a few hours to see if it makes a difference, but I don't see what difference the battery charge would make. Especially when running it while plugged into the charger.  The LED on the power switch does illuminate,  just no sound at all...

From what I understood the adaptor is only there to charge the battery, you always need to rely on the battery for the power supply even when you have your amp plugged in. While the amp is plug in it will discharge and discharge on the go. Therefore starting off with a fully charge is essential. Just leave it over night charging and have it off that should work.

I hope in future revision Cesar modifies his amp so it does not rely on the battery when it is plugged in.

PS:had a typo on my previous port, i meant "now loving it". 

portaphile has incredibly dynamic sound and it is open and natural.

Jun 28, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #107 of 425
I'm currently using an iPad 4 USB adapter (5.2v 2.4A) to charge while using my original 627. So far, I didn't experience any problems and it somehow remedied my problem with the amp dying out while using it plugged.

Others might want to give that shot

Jun 28, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #108 of 425
Quote:
I'm currently using an iPad 4 USB adapter (5.2v 2.4A) to charge while using my original 627. So far, I didn't experience any problems and it somehow remedied my problem with the amp dying out while using it plugged.

Others might want to give that shot

where did you buy your USB to center positive cable?

Jun 28, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #109 of 425
Thanks for the replies audionewbi  and xnuthecaveman.  Cesar has emailed me and I'll pursue the solution with him.  He mentioned the red light on the back of the amp (I didn't even know it was there!) which should be lit but it isn't. 

Thanks again for your help!

O.

Jun 28, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #110 of 425
Hey folks,

In the past I've spoken with designers of some really nice audio equipment, and one in particular was very specific in providing clean power to the amp. It seems to me that once translated to Portaphilia off any sort that this would be best fulfilled by filling the battery Andersen unplugging it during use. The unplugging may be unnecessary, but consider that big daddy home systems could have paid way more that our entire portable setups (as well as the car we drive it around in) and in many cases its just a matter of remembering.

Please note that I'm NOT a battery expert, yet have studied battery technology for a multitude of reasons, and there is another important point...

As we all have rechargeable EVERYTHING these days, there is confusion regarding -- "How to take care of my rechargeable thingy"... One will hear conflicting advice on the matter, and it does make a difference. In speaking with a designer for the energy systems aboard the International Space Station, he was emphatic that LiPo batteries are best kept fully charged except when using, only used to HALF their potential except very occasionally, and recharged as soon as practical. And then, as if he weren't bossy enough, he added that in most cases it's best to take them off the charger if you're going to let it sit there for more than a few days, but this was kind of a finer point.

Note that this means whereverwe have batteries, we could actually manage them better for longer life..... In the case of my Portaphile I hope to get a minimum of 300 charges from 50% to full, and another 1000 from 25% up if I follow this plan. Essentially twice as long as someone who only recharges when they need to.

The thing is... Your battery advising professionals will tell you opposite to this, and I could even explain why they tell you this because they have their reasons and they mean well.

I'm going with the rocket scientist's explanation....

Jul 1, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #114 of 425
Thanks for the advice. I had tried looking when it was full and could not see it. I'm guessing that it is a charging indicator which goes out once full.

This baby sounds really good and I'm needing some hungrier can than my CIEMs to really get get use around the home. Need closed type for isolation. $250-$350... So considering Mad Dogs. Any other recommends?

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #116 of 425
Thanks! I already find that amping the CIEMs makes them shine, even though the Tera is already sufficient. With your suggestions in mind, I'm hoping to have a home setup that sounds great and is more easily up on and removed... I'll be looking where you just pointed!

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #118 of 425
Quote:
Hey folks,

In the past I've spoken with designers of some really nice audio equipment, and one in particular was very specific in providing clean power to the amp. It seems to me that once translated to Portaphilia off any sort that this would be best fulfilled by filling the battery Andersen unplugging it during use. The unplugging may be unnecessary, but consider that big daddy home systems could have paid way more that our entire portable setups (as well as the car we drive it around in) and in many cases its just a matter of remembering.

Please note that I'm NOT a battery expert, yet have studied battery technology for a multitude of reasons, and there is another important point...

As we all have rechargeable EVERYTHING these days, there is confusion regarding -- "How to take care of my rechargeable thingy"... One will hear conflicting advice on the matter, and it does make a difference. In speaking with a designer for the energy systems aboard the International Space Station, he was emphatic that LiPo batteries are best kept fully charged except when using, only used to HALF their potential except very occasionally, and recharged as soon as practical. And then, as if he weren't bossy enough, he added that in most cases it's best to take them off the charger if you're going to let it sit there for more than a few days, but this was kind of a finer point.

Note that this means whereverwe have batteries, we could actually manage them better for longer life..... In the case of my Portaphile I hope to get a minimum of 300 charges from 50% to full, and another 1000 from 25% up if I follow this plan. Essentially twice as long as someone who only recharges when they need to.

The thing is... Your battery advising professionals will tell you opposite to this, and I could even explain why they tell you this because they have their reasons and they mean well.

I'm going with the rocket scientist's explanation....

Six or so years ago when Cesar first introduced the Portaphile, then the Portaphile Maxxed ( which I still own and dearly love) there were huge discussions on batteries and battery life.  One member (Romanee) posted the benefits of LiPo batteries from Thomas Distributing as being among the best.  In my old Maxxeed, my batteries get about eight hours per charge.  You may want to search the forums for additional information, but this does go back sic or so years ago

Jul 2, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #119 of 425
Quote:
Quote:
My new 627X arrived this morning and it was really nice for an hour or two, but then it died, no sound at all, nada...waiting to hear from Cesar.

Oh well
frown.gif

O.

Mine sounded weird a little and I left it charged for whole day, now loving it. Have you check if the battery is charged fully?

x2! I had some strange sound behaviour in the beginning, then left it charging for almost a full 24h. After that it has been working perfectly and I'm sure I now get my 10h of run time after each charge.

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #120 of 425
200+ hours passed and I can say that this amp is smooth, dynamic and super detailed! Loving its addictive yet not distracting sound nature. 

So what I would like to see in future revision:
  • Inclusion of ODAC; Perhaps make it to match ipod touch length and therefore give yourself more room to add other stuff like a DAC. DAC and 627x complement each other greatly. I find ODAC very dynamic and adding it to a dynamic amp really leaves no room for improvement in terms of sound. With a longer case it should be possible to fit the ODAC in without a problem.
  • True PSU usage: As much as I am a fan of clean power but completely relying on the internal battery will reduce the battery life. It would be great to see in future revision to only run on the PSU when it is connected instead of relying on battery and charging it contionously (something that O2 does.
  • RMF coating: I've noticed that when the when I have the 627x plugged in it will produce noise if I touch the casing. 
  • Further reduction of hiss: I consider this as a bonus as the unit as is is quiet silent but there is an audible hiss that increases with volume increase. 
  •  
Beside this three there is nothing significantly wrong with this amp and I believe with the above modification this will become truly the best single ended amp in the market. And no Lisa III is not portable at all. 

Side note: I have noticed that 627x relaxes the bass and sub-bass which can be an issue for some. For example when I used the AK120 as a source feeding the 627x I lost a nice bit of bass quantity on my CK100PRO but as soon as I plugged in the CK100PRO to the AK120 it became obvious that the 627x was reducing the bass quantity. 
In general 627x gives more dynamic to the sound, tops becomes smoother and midrange becomes the key player where as the low end are present but play secondary role compared to the mid-range.

Is this a bad thing? Well for those who listen on short interval it can be as those folks like to get a quick high on music but for those who like to listen for long hours the change makes for a much easier listening session with what is safe to say a zero sound fatigue from 627x behalf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back