Portaphile Thread
Jan 28, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #226 of 425
Not in this but I did mention it in the other thread. I am still uncertain would the reduction in size mean a compromise in sound? A smaller 627 is truly welcome and the battery hour is just long enough for my trip to and from work but on the other hand the old 627 is not that much larger.
Yep, that's where I heard about it :)

Jan 28, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #229 of 425
  I have the 627 and the 627x. I find myself preferring the 627x because of the massive soundstage and equality of presentation across lows mids and highs. I find the 627 to have really great mids, as previously mentioned by many. They are super smooth with high resolution and a more upfront presentation than on the 627x. There are many who pref the 627 over the 627x for this reason. However, doing an A/B test between the two, I don't think the 627x has worse mids, it's just that the presentation is not as midcentric as the 627.

The 627 manages to sound more realistic because of the upfront nature of the mids: as they're recessed on the gen2  the immersion isn't as intimate. But the 627x has that soundstage, so it's a different kind of immersion being achieved, which i prefer.
Cesar upgraded the potentiometer in the gen 2, and it really does sound like a big brother amp to the gen 1. After A/Bing for about 8 hours, I consistently end up switching back to the 627x for extended sessions. 

system:
MOG 320kbps streaming service > ifi mercury usb > ifi iUSB > ifi gemini > ifi iPurifier > ODAC >Audioquest Victoria 3.5 to RCA > ifi iTube > audioquest victoria 3.5 to RCA > 627x > headphone lounge silver occ custom cables on shure se846's.

Could I ask how the bass between the two compare?  I have a 627 and one aspect that I love about it is the (compared to my other amps) impactful, precise, strong bass it delivers.

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #230 of 425
There is a sale currently on the 627 and 627x. There is also a 10% Christmas coupon which will bring the cost of a new 627 down to a little over 400. I am not sure if the sale is supposed to be the 10% off however after adding the sale price 627 to my cart and applying the code it was around 417 USD shipped in the US.

Feb 1, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #239 of 425
yeap, this actually stopped me on my tracks lol...almost pulled the trigger a few days ago...

That's through fedex which I admit is pretty expensive. If you prefer shipping though USPS which is a little cheaper just send me an email through the website. Thanks!

Feb 1, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #240 of 425
That's through fedex which I admit is pretty expensive. If you prefer shipping though USPS which is a little cheaper just send me an email through the website. Thanks!

WOW thanks....I will definitely do that..but sadly my portaphile money is gone this month...had to buy some other stuff for the house...I will take your offer soon enough thou..thanks a bunch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back