Portaphile appreciation thread
Aug 2, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mrarroyo,
The Ultralife battery last 15 hours and the above mentioned rechargeables last 20 and pay for themselves after 3 charges.

Oops. A little info mixup.

The (disposable) Li-Ion 1200mAh Ultralife has given me the 20 hours I've referred to. If I recall correctly, 20 hours with ALL ON. I think it was about 35 hours with Wide Bandwidth Off -- but it's been a long while, so I'd have to test again to be sure -- and I don't wish to just now.

The rechargeable Li-Polymer iPower 500mAh yields more hours than the NiMH 9Vs (obviously, since 500 is more than the usual 230-300mAh for NiMH 9V rechargeables) -- but not 20 hours!

Sorry Chief.

With Class-A on and Wide Bandwidth off I get about 8 – 8.5 hours steady play, not 20 (I suspect their quality control is less than stellar). I wish there was a 1200mAh Li-Po rechargeable same size as the 9V, but the 1200-6000 mAh Lithium packs are a lot bigger and heavier.

Still, for me 8.5 hours is fine, and they're small and light enuf that I carry a charged spare in my briefcase or little shoulder bag. Swapping the battery usually takes me well under 30 seconds, and the knurled screws are beefy enuf that I've never lost one (yet).

The 2.5 hours Mrarroyo refers to is undoubtedly with everything ON and using an NiMH 9V rechargeable.

[size=medium]BUT -- this is Cesar's thread … so … enuf tech talk … or maybe more tech talk since he is a techie?.[/size]

Aug 2, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #17 of 27
Now you tell me (after I spent $100 on 4 batteries and dedicated charger).
rolleyes.gif

...and I trusted you, St. Peter
evil_smiley.gif

I used the Ultralife with the bandwith off and got about 15 hours for $5.74. I'd rather use 2 rechargeables.

Aug 2, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Now you tell me (after I spent $100 on 4 batteries and dedicated charger).
rolleyes.gif

...and I trusted you, St. Peter
evil_smiley.gif

I used the Ultralife with the bandwith off and got about 15 hours for $5.74. I'd rather use 2 rechargeables.

Me too … especially since we can use the rechargeables again and again and again (lots more than that even) — and recoup the investment many times over. The Li-Po 9V is lighter than the NiMH and Ultralife, too.

I did use the Ultralifes at both HeadFi Nat'l Meets, tho' — and didn't have to be concerned about rechargeables running down during the meets … and, yeah my Tomahawk gets 400+ hours with 2 ultra alkaline AAAs but that's another tale.

…and while we're chattin', let's go out on the porch and enjoy a good ceegar…

smokincigar.gif

Aug 3, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #19 of 27
I agree with the spirit of this thread 100%. I got a Portaphile v2 for review at another site, and it's eye-poppingly great. More people should buy that amp, it's as simple as that.

Aug 3, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #20 of 27
I enjoy mine quite a bit, especially now since I have it powered from a good wallwart.

I use it only as a home amp now, and before I got it properly powered, I was a bit disappointed with it. But now that I have to connected to a decent powersource I am very very happy with it.

Aug 4, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #21 of 27
Yeah the portaphile with a 15v wallwart does wonders.
im going to invest in a portable battery pack that gives about 14v.
that should be good
smily_headphones1.gif

1 gripe though, when i received my portaphile my left channel was dead and i found out that it was due to an unsoldered smd resistor. took me 2 mini jacks and a few hours to find out. a little disappointed but at least i managed to solve it. thx cesar for making such a good amp.

Aug 5, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #23 of 27
I'll weigh in on Cesar's Portaphile Maxxed as well.

Great little amp. I'm using it like this on one of my computer set ups.

orig.jpg

I want to echo everything the guys said about it. It's that good.

USG

PS
Romanee, if you see this, would you comment on the differences btn the '03 and '05 DT880s? I posted a thread about it and would appreciate some of your eloquent descriptors.
580smile.gif
lambda.gif
3000smile.gif
280smile.gif

Aug 5, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #24 of 27
USG...it appears that your led is lit with the power switch in the "off" mode. Is this an optical illusion of flash issue?

Aug 5, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

USG...it appears that your led is lit with the power switch in the "off" mode. Is this an optical illusion of flash issue?

Hi A

Flash issue... makes it look sorta green

E

Aug 13, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #26 of 27
This is my setup
smily_headphones1.gif

456729522_a8d7ec3b1b.jpg

I am looking to sell it to build a B22 though...any offers? :p

Mar 7, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #27 of 27
Bring back the Portaphiles!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back