Portaphile 627 Review
Jan 2, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #46 of 87
Quote:
Cesar just responded to my email and I must say he seems like a great guy. He also stated that he should be releasing a 627 with a longer runtime later on this year. I am certainly looking forward to that as that is one of the main reasons I decided to go with the Glacier.

Yes I agree that he seems like a great guy. And that is good news that he is going to boost the battery runtime. If the amp is as good as some folks are saying, it would be a shame if the short battery life kept a lot of people from trying it. Like I said, it does not matter for me, so unless the new version also has better sound, I expect I will be happy with the amp I ordered.

Jan 5, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #48 of 87
You know I thought that too, but after luxuriating in 4 hours of sonic bliss from my Portaphile it's extremely frustrating when the battery dies! Another irksome thing is having to switch it on and off a couple of times to charge up the capacitors. However, it does sound astonishing for a portable amplifier and I can live with these idiosyncrasies.

Andy.  

Quote:

Yes I agree that he seems like a great guy. And that is good news that he is going to boost the battery runtime. If the amp is as good as some folks are saying, it would be a shame if the short battery life kept a lot of people from trying it. Like I said, it does not matter for me, so unless the new version also has better sound, I expect I will be happy with the amp I ordered.

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #51 of 87
Quote:
Cesar just responded to my email and I must say he seems like a great guy. He also stated that he should be releasing a 627 with a longer runtime later on this year. I am certainly looking forward to that as that is one of the main reasons I decided to go with the Glacier.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing the info!

Jan 13, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #53 of 87

Did you receive the amp yet? Looking forward to your impressions.

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #55 of 87
I ordered

1 of this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/
B005NGKR54/ref=ox_sc_act_ti tle_3?
ie=UTF8&smid=A294P4X9EWVXLJ

1 of this: http://www.amazon.com/BiXPower-Power-Cable-
Popular-Connector /dp/B006MWXZM0/
ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=
1356519417&sr=1-3&keywords=usb+to+dc

The items haven't arrived though.. hopefully this setup can prolong the 627 :)

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #58 of 87
I am really keen on this amp but the battery is the main problem. Probably will settle on a Sr-71B or Continental V3 instead of the 627.

Ps does the 627 charge from usb? if I could charge it using labtop it might be back on my list of next purchases.

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #59 of 87
Is the battery easy to replace?  Or is it soldered in?

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #60 of 87
I believe it is soldered in as the pictures in first page of this thread. However, you can request Cesar to use screw on terminals like what I did with mine. Since I live overseas, I reasoned that it is too impractical for me to ship it back and front just to replace the batteries. I'll just be ordering just batteries in the future :)

Also I suggested to Cesar that using a terminal/socket would help the PCB (reliabilty and performance) in the long run since you not anymore soldering/desoldering (heat stress). Not sure though, if Cesar would make the use of a terminal a permanent design to his amp :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back