Portaphile 627 Review
Jan 18, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #61 of 87
I believe it is soldered in as the pictures in first page of this thread. However, you can request Cesar to use screw on terminals like what I did with mine. Since I live overseas, I reasoned that it is too impractical for me to ship it back and front just to replace the batteries. I'll just be ordering just batteries in the future :)

Also I suggested to Cesar that using a terminal/socket would help the PCB (reliabilty and performance) in the long run since you not anymore soldering/desoldering (heat stress). Not sure though, if Cesar would make the use of a terminal a permanent design to his amp :)

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #62 of 87
Quote:
I believe it is soldered in as the pictures in first page of this thread. However, you can request Cesar to use screw on terminals like what I did with mine. Since I live overseas, I reasoned that it is too impractical for me to ship it back and front just to replace the batteries. I'll just be ordering just batteries in the future
smily_headphones1.gif

Also I suggested to Cesar that using a terminal/socket would help the PCB (reliabilty and performance) in the long run since you not anymore soldering/desoldering (heat stress). Not sure though, if Cesar would make the use of a terminal a permanent design to his amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Awesome thanks for the information!  I will send him an email to see if he would do that for me

Jan 19, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #63 of 87
Quote:
I believe it is soldered in as the pictures in first page of this thread. However, you can request Cesar to use screw on terminals like what I did with mine. Since I live overseas, I reasoned that it is too impractical for me to ship it back and front just to replace the batteries. I'll just be ordering just batteries in the future
smily_headphones1.gif

Also I suggested to Cesar that using a terminal/socket would help the PCB (reliabilty and performance) in the long run since you not anymore soldering/desoldering (heat stress). Not sure though, if Cesar would make the use of a terminal a permanent design to his amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the heads up.  I contacted Cesar and my Portaphile should be ready by the end of this week or early next week with the screw terminals.  Very much looking forward to it and the dragonfly.

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #65 of 87
a custom case is a more do-able option. Not sure how small is the dragonfly, but the current case is i think fully occupied by the amp and one should also consider the heat produced by the portaphile :)

Jan 26, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #70 of 87
Quote:
Wow, tiny font really hunts my eyes.

Thanks for the review, but it is definitely not helping to show the back side of the PCB where only the battery circuit is visible
wink.gif
. I assume the three OPA627 and the six BUF634 are on the other, more important side of the PCB. Those chips alone would have cost over $100, so that explains why this is a pretty expensive amp.

This is not far off what I am sitting with, albeit 4x 634`s. This would have to sound pretty spot on to cost £200 more.

Edit: Price

Jan 27, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #72 of 87
I contacted Cesar regarding the output impedance of the 627 as I ordered a dacport lx to pair with it until the odac's are shipping again from JDS.

If anyone is curious as I do not believe it is stated anywhere, this is what he said:
I measured an output impedance of .09 using a 10 ohm load and .7 using a 322 ohm load.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back