Portaphile 627 Review
Mar 21, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #76 of 87
Quote:
Thanks Average_Joe, it certainly does well for it's form factor.  I swear this thing has a couple EL84s in it or something with the heat it produces.

Am I to take it that this thing is too hot to use in a jacket pocket, then?

The DX100 gets pretty warm, but I get the impression that the 627 runs hot ..?

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #79 of 87
Quote:
depending on the hp used, It's equally as warm as the dx100
smily_headphones1.gif

the portaphile runs cooler when you load it with something power hungry, in my case a T50rp

I'm contemplating using it with sensitive CIEMs

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #80 of 87
Quote:

Am I to take it that this thing is too hot to use in a jacket pocket, then?

The DX100 gets pretty warm, but I get the impression that the 627 runs hot ..?

It will certainly work in your jacket pocket, but it will get a tad hot.  Certainly won't burn you by any means but you'll feel a little extra warmth.  I'd just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't overheat, but you really should be fine.  It was designed to run at this temperature (class A so naturally there is a lot of energy lost through heat).

Oct 31, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #82 of 87
My 627(not 627x) had remake its Circuit(not change its battery). Now it has about more than 7 hours to play. It now have less heating power.

I have two 627 and They look different. But remake its Circuit don't have change its voice.

The 627 have a perfect voice. I think this change will be a breakthrough!

Feb 4, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #84 of 87
hey guys wanted to tell you that the old Portaphile 627 version will be back in a new "panel" design, which is better ofc, yet this will be for a limited number, man i can't wait to have mine, if some head-fiers want it then don't miss the golden chance.

for those who want to know what is the difference between the old and the new version, lets say the new version lack the hint of warmth that the old versions had, which is why so many people were starving to get the old version from the sale threads

the new version isn't bad or anything , its just that audiophile who want Neutral + hint of warmth and smoothness can't get that sound sig with the new versions

anyway if you want to pre order it will be for 449$ + shipping  , contact Portaphile's Cesar on this email : http://smartbuys@usa.com

oh i forgot to say that i had the Pico Power and the old Portaphile 627, and i would pick the 627 over the Pico Power anytime ^^

even AVG Joe stated that its the best amp he ever had, which got me to buy the old version to begin with, check Joe's review in this link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/585786/multi-portable-amp-thread-16-amps-reviewed-leckerton-uha-6s-mkii-added

Mar 22, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #85 of 87
My Portaphile 627 (old version + new panel) is here :D  i love this amp a lot!!  it does outshine the Hugo's amp section, and sound better than my old pico power ^^

also the blue LED isn't annoying as the older panel, got to love this Edition :p 

Apr 18, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #86 of 87

Nov 18, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #87 of 87
is this more powerful than alo mk3B for my audeze lcd2 and does it have bass boost

Users who are viewing this thread

Back