Portable tube headamp
Nov 6, 2012 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

the search never ends

500+ Head-Fier
Just throwing this pic out there. This amp in silver sells for 80 dollars, for whatever reason, the same amp in black is generally won for roughly 25 dollars and 16 for shipping, so it seems like a low enough cost to give it a shot, for me anyway, it ended up costing me 41 dollars, shipping included.
It's rechargeable and rated for headphones 16-600 ohms, with a claimed 500 mw output.  I don't have it yet, but thought I'd give a heads up in case the black version also starts selling for the 79 dollar buy it now only. Could be an awesome portable amp for the money. A pic from the ebay store below. I'll post impressions after I have it.

$(KGrHqN,!l0E+GNP)1RCBQFWOcjrIg~~60_3.JPG

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #2 of 9
i have seen this one but not seen any reviews, very much looking forward to your thoughts on it.. Though I have bitten the bullet on something a little more costly :rolleyes:
http://www.ab.auone-net.jp/~s-and-e/PHA03s/PHA.html

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 9
saw some little bear reviews for that thing, in other languages, from what I could decipher it sounded terrible, the battery life was attrocious and it would burn a hole in your leg/bag if you went portable as intended.

It was through google transalte so let us know your opinion if you want.

Nov 7, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
i have seen this one but not seen any reviews, very much looking forward to your thoughts on it.. Though I have bitten the bullet on something a little more costly
rolleyes.gif

http://www.ab.auone-net.jp/~s-and-e/PHA03s/PHA.html

Wow, that looks nice!!!  I'll post my thoughts on the little bear, I don't expect much, but I do get surprised. 

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 9
I have had this amp for about a couple of months. Out of the box the unit runs very hot, has a gritty volume pot, and the battery life is around 3-4 hours. In order to improve the battery life and reduce the operating temperature I replaced the resistor shown below with a 5W 20 ohm and the amp runs much cooler as well as having a battery life of around 5 hours.

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #8 of 9
Got it about a week ago, honestly sounds decent, I haven't bothered opening it up yet, but the volume pot has to go, and the resistor as well, the area around the tube get's very hot, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone not into swapping out a few components though. The pot is not good at all.

EDIT: It does have good driving ability though.

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #9 of 9
You know, about 60 years ago they came up with this thing called a "transistor" that, along with a 9V battery, made a portable, pocket-sized radio a tenable product. Before that you had A, B, and C batteries to power transportable radios. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_(vacuum_tube) if you didn't experience them yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back