Portable tube amp from china?
Mar 3, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #526 of 916
If you are not careful when adjusting the resistors, the sound will be messed up with heavy distortion.
This amp more recommend for earbuds not IEMs.

Apr 8, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #531 of 916
Hey just received a b4-x from amazon! Sounds good for the most part there’s a bit of noise on my echobox finders but can’t judge anything yet just wanted to provide as much info as possible.
anyways the reason for this post is the b4-x is emitting a horrible smell! Possibly ozone!
I don’t know why but it’s bad! I’m new to tubes so I did some quick research and couldn’t find anything truly helpful.
Except the possibility of red-walling which is a term from some guitar amp people. So one of the tubes is glowing much brighter than the other but that shouldn’t be a problem with new tubes. Maybe damage from shipping?

I’m hoping that it just needs some adjustments but I don’t have the knowledge for that. I intend for this to be a bit of a project amp so if I have to learn some stuff to fix it that’s fine by me.
let me know what you think!
C06A88F3-19B1-48F8-BAF6-A2090E0905E9.jpeg

As you can see the left side is brighter!
Edit: I tried again right after posting this and noticed the ringing from the tubes only comes through the right channel suggesting it is that left tube! I have no idea if the right and left channels are actually the right and left tubes but it would make sense! Not that chi-fi products always make sense!

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #532 of 916
This amp
Hey just received a b4-x from amazon! Sounds good for the most part there’s a bit of noise on my echobox finders but can’t judge anything yet just wanted to provide as much info as possible.
anyways the reason for this post is the b4-x is emitting a horrible smell! Possibly ozone!
I don’t know why but it’s bad! I’m new to tubes so I did some quick research and couldn’t find anything truly helpful.
Except the possibility of red-walling which is a term from some guitar amp people. So one of the tubes is glowing much brighter than the other but that shouldn’t be a problem with new tubes. Maybe damage from shipping?

I’m hoping that it just needs some adjustments but I don’t have the knowledge for that. I intend for this to be a bit of a project amp so if I have to learn some stuff to fix it that’s fine by me.
let me know what you think!C06A88F3-19B1-48F8-BAF6-A2090E0905E9.jpeg
Edit: I tried again right after posting this and noticed the ringing from the tubes only comes through the right channel suggesting it is that left tube! I have no idea if the right and left channels are actually the right and left tubes but it would make sense! Not that chi-fi products always make sense!
This amp really does need some tuning and once you play around with the 4 resistors (if you don't know what you are doing like me), it nearly impossible to get it right. The seller advised me to play around with the transitor to counter channel imbalance then it really difficult to get the right balance. Sitting in the drawer eversince.
However, some people really upgraded this with lots of things like new tube, new power supply capacicators, new opamp.

Apr 9, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #533 of 916

let me know what you think!C06A88F3-19B1-48F8-BAF6-A2090E0905E9.jpeg
I have no idea what is the problem, but I can write about my experience. I've got my b4-x for less than a month now, and definitely there is no smell. The lamps most likely shine the same way, though there are written markings on the lamps and they cover the lamps in different positions so it is impossible to tell for sure. There is no channel imbalance in my unit, even after changing opamps to Muses 8820 from official sales channel. There is ringing in left channel after the chasis contacts other object, so I would not worry about it.

Apr 9, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #534 of 916
Thanks for getting back to me! I really have no idea if the brightness of the tube is an issue or not it could just be chance. I am aware that the tube ringing is normal but thought it was odd that it was only one channel. Really wish I had a balanced cable to test. Damn Drop shipping goin on a month now.
anyways I already contacted the seller theythought it was odd too and suggested I get a replacement from amazon. Thank god for prime. I’ll probably keep it a couple days too see what happens.
Are we limited to the 4 or so different opamps the company suggests?
I’m curious about tubes too so if anyone out there knows anything let me know!

Apr 10, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #535 of 916
Thanks for getting back to me! I really have no idea if the brightness of the tube is an issue or not it could just be chance. I am aware that the tube ringing is normal but thought it was odd that it was only one channel. Really wish I had a balanced cable to test. Damn Drop shipping goin on a month now.
anyways I already contacted the seller theythought it was odd too and suggested I get a replacement from amazon. Thank god for prime. I’ll probably keep it a couple days too see what happens.
Are we limited to the 4 or so different opamps the company suggests?
I’m curious about tubes too so if anyone out there knows anything let me know!

You're not limited to the four opamps the manufacturer suggests. As long as the new amp has the same pinout as the original, it's safe to use.

Apr 24, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #536 of 916
Two bursons for b4x seem expensive. Anything else you guys could recommend?
For this reason I am thinking of getting the b4 instead as it will only need 1 opamp upgrade
Is that a better option for someone that does not plan on using any balanced headphones?
Also the b4 is £20 cheaper ($25)

Apr 26, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #537 of 916
For this reason I am thinking of getting the b4 instead as it will only need 1 opamp upgrade
Is that a better option for someone that does not plan on using any balanced headphones?
Also the b4 is £20 cheaper ($25)

It's a better option altogether. B4X is only has like 5% more power than B4, and B4X has the same single ended input as the B4. So, it makes no sense going for B4X. Save your money.

Apr 30, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #538 of 916
As a joy at my hobby, I also bought the B4 X.

In addition 2 x Supreme Sound Opamp V5i - Dual Copper tape and small parts.
Machined cables, connections, insulated, tube lined and then burn in for a few hours.

Tested the first test today with a Sony XBA N3AP ... yes, I'm surprised, far better than expected.
I will install a higher quality battery, then I can run a small, fine DAP in combination with my old Samsung S8.

....something like that is fun :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :smiley:

May 3, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #539 of 916
Thanks for the tip, I went for the B4.
I have been listening to it on my HD650s and its awesome!
I will probably eventually stick a v5i in it but for now what are some cheaper recomended opamps I can try out? (under £15)
Id like to get a few just to play around with, see if i can hear a difference etc.
Are opamps better bought from proper stores like Mouser etc or are the ones on Aliexpress/ebay fine?
Id like a opa1612 but it does not come as DIP8 unless I buy from Aliexpress/ebay.
I assume it would not be easy to convert myself?
Although I just bought a soldering iron to start my DIY journey (Starting with a CMoy), if its something I can do myself it might be a good learning step.

May 8, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #540 of 916
Thanks for the tip, I went for the B4.
I have been listening to it on my HD650s and its awesome!
I will probably eventually stick a v5i in it but for now what are some cheaper recomended opamps I can try out? (under £15)
Id like to get a few just to play around with, see if i can hear a difference etc.
Are opamps better bought from proper stores like Mouser etc or are the ones on Aliexpress/ebay fine?
Id like a opa1612 but it does not come as DIP8 unless I buy from Aliexpress/ebay.
I assume it would not be easy to convert myself?
Although I just bought a soldering iron to start my DIY journey (Starting with a CMoy), if its something I can do myself it might be a good learning step.

I do not recommend buying any opamps on ebay or aliexpress. They are known sources of counterfeit opamps. If a dip8 opa1612 exists only on those selling platforms, it's probably a fake. Use only mouser or digikey! - it's more expensive, but at least you get what you pay for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back