Portable Sources w/Digital Output Listing
Sep 4, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #16 of 186
Lol, back when I was clueless I had an iRiver iMP PCDP with optical out. I bought a TOSLINK cable and used it in my little Panasonic stereo.

I automatically thought SQ was better, not realising the DAC in the Panny was probably no better than the iRiver one. A simple way of making my Panny play mp3CDs I guess...
Blimey that iRiver was temperamental, it broke. It 'purportedly' played Ogg Vorbis back then.

Sep 4, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #18 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The now discontinued Archos Jukebox Recorder had spdif digital

Added!
smily_headphones1.gif

Was the digital output through coax, optical, or USB?

Sep 4, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #20 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmmm...will it play with the LCD screen shut?

I think about portability here as being able to move freely about with the player stowed in a bag, pocket, etc.

I've never tried it that way but it'd probably work, it's not very small (10" screen) so I guess it doesn't really fit into this category. It is a very nice screen though...even comes with a nice carry bag.

Sep 4, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #22 of 186
Headroom mentions in their ads for their micro line that most of todays portable DVD players have digital outs. You might e-mail them, or ask in their sub-forum here to see if they have a list.

Bazile

Sep 5, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #23 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was the digital output through coax, optical, or USB?

Quote:

Well, I always heard it referenced as spdif. It definitely wasn't optical or USB, therefore it was probably coax.

The Archos Jukebox Recorder units had a mini-mechanical coax/spdif output. I used a cheap 1/8"-to-RCA cable to plug it into my old Benchmark DAC1 - nice office rig at the time!

Sep 5, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #25 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by ttan98 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am after a DAP, anyone here made coparison between, Archos Jukebox Recorder and iriver HP120?

which one is clearly better or both about the same?

I've owned both, and I would pick the H120 as the (far) superior unit.

Sep 5, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #27 of 186
Quote:

I've owned both, and I would pick the H120 as the (far) superior unit.

wolfen,

have you made any comparisons between using ipod like devices and ext headphone compared with DAP like iriver H120 with ext DAC and headphone amp, any comments you like to make in terms of sound quality?

Sep 5, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #28 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by ttan98 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wolfen,

have you made any comparisons between using ipod like devices and ext headphone compared with DAP like iriver H120 with ext DAC and headphone amp, any comments you like to make in terms of sound quality?

If I'm understanding your question...the H120 with external DAC and headphone amp will outperform any headphone out directly from any other DAP. This belief should be widely held here...

If you just want to use the headphone out to a headphone, then the H120 is an adequate choice, but not the best when compared to other players. The H120's strengths are a decent analog lineout, and a great optical out. Other players can best the h120 headphone out quality (ipod and x5 come to mind).

Sep 5, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #29 of 186
cool nice little list you got going.

Is it safe to assume your listed players are Toslink optical unless specified otherwise (coax)?

Sep 5, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #30 of 186
You might want to update your Panasonic entries...

SL-CT430 (AC power, Japan Only)
SL-CT570A (AC power, Japan Only)

Someone commented in another thread that the north american versions of these players do not include optical outs. That probably should be confirmed though.

If you like I can provide pics of the D335 and the fore-mentioned panny players.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back