Portable Setup for Westone ES5
Jul 11, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #17 of 42

Quote:
While reading through some other ES5 threads, I came across SpudHarris. He runs his Westone ES5 through an iPod Classic 6g, Cypher Labs Algorithym Solo, and Meier 2Stepdance. He describes it as heavenly. Would the HM-801 beat even that setup?

Yes, because it all still starts from the DAC stage in which the HM-801 is much better than the Classic 6G.

Jul 11, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #18 of 42
rolleyes.gif
 Oh dear....

They say ignorance is bliss - Unsubscribed

Jul 11, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #19 of 42

Quote:
Yes, because it all still starts from the DAC stage in which the HM-801 is much better than the Classic 6G.

I haven't heard either setup, but the point of the CLAS is that it takes the digital file from the Ipod and runs it through its own DAC, or transports it out to an external DAC, depending on what you want to do, but either way bypassing the Ipod's DAC.  

Jul 11, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #20 of 42

Quote:
You already have an iPhone, could go with either the CLAS + amp or Fostex HP-P1. The only thing I'd be worried about is the storage capacity of the phone.

The storage is low, but more than that is the inability to play FLAC. Both a rockboxed iPod and an 801 can play most lossless filetypes.

Spudharris, you wouldn't have happened to have tried the 801 before, would you? Has anyone tried both the 801 and the CLAS + Amp combinations? Both seem to be excellent.

Jul 11, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #21 of 42

Quote:
I haven't heard either setup, but the point of the CLAS is that it takes the digital file from the Ipod and runs it through its own DAC, or transports it out to an external DAC, depending on what you want to do, but either way bypassing the Ipod's DAC.  

Oh that's what it does, cool. Well, I don't know how good the CLAS's DAC stage is.

Jul 11, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #22 of 42

Quote:

The storage is low, but more than that is the inability to play FLAC. Both a rockboxed iPod and an 801 can play most lossless filetypes.

Spudharris, you wouldn't have happened to have tried the 801 before, would you? Has anyone tried both the 801 and the CLAS + Amp combinations? Both seem to be excellent.

Luckily lossless is lossless, so converting FLAC to ALAC is pretty painless, although not ideal if you're constantly adding new music.

Quote:
Oh that's what it does, cool. Well, I don't know how good the CLAS's DAC stage is.

Flagship Wolfson, they won't/don't say which. The Fostex has an AKM AK4480 and build in amp as well (can be bypassed).

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #23 of 42

Quote:

Me neither 
tongue.gif

Quote:
Luckily lossless is lossless, so converting FLAC to ALAC is pretty painless, although not ideal if you're constantly adding new music.

Yup....If you're willing to spend a few minutes, it isn't too hard....and SQ is the same as FLAC.  

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #24 of 42
I'd recommend something w/ less than 1 ohm output impedance from whatever your final output device is and keep it as flat as possible w/o having to EQ your source.   

Jul 12, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #25 of 42

Quote:

The CLAS DAC is supposed to on par if not better than the 801's, at least to my understanding.

Quote:
You already have an iPhone, could go with either the CLAS + amp or Fostex HP-P1. The only thing I'd be worried about is the storage capacity of the phone.

I think I just may take this route due to the UI and ease of the iPhone/iPod. Between the CLAS + amp and the HP-P1, which one has better SQ? Headfonia states the HP-P1 is a little bit more analytical sounding than the relatively warm CLAS, but which would have better synergy with the ES5?

Jul 12, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #26 of 42

Quote:
I think I just may take this route due to the UI and ease of the iPhone/iPod. Between the CLAS + amp and the HP-P1, which one has better SQ? Headfonia states the HP-P1 is a little bit more analytical sounding than the relatively warm CLAS, but which would have better synergy with the ES5?

I haven't heard the HP-P1 but I'm familiar w/ the DACs in both the CLAS and HP-P1.  I would go for the analytical AKM in the Fostex to synergize w/ the ES5 myself.  The Wolfson sounds great w/ the ES5 too but I think the AKM is the better choice w/ the ES5 plus it will be a cleaner package overall as a rig.  I don't know what the output Z on the Fostex is though.  That's important.

Jul 12, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #27 of 42
Was it stated anywhere what DAC it used? I could never find out. If you go with the HP-P1, bear in mind the battery life is slightly inferior to the CLAS, as far as I remember, because it is both an amp and DAC, where as the CLAS is just a DAC. I know it has adjustable gain settings, but that's all in the Headfonia review.

Also, extracting digital audio from the iPod drains the battery a bit quicker than normal analog line out use, so you will definitely be charging it every night.

Jul 12, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #28 of 42

Quote:
Was it stated anywhere what DAC it used? I could never find out.

Yes on the Fostex.  Sort of on the CLAS.  Wolfson of some sort they don't want to talk about.  Not really too many hidden Wolfson's that do hi-rez.  You can tweak them as some have done w/ the AKM but I haven't heard a Wolfson that didn't sound like a Wolfson.  AKMs and Sabre's I have hard time to tell if I even can.  Implementations have a lot to do w/ it.  

Anyway, they are asking which has better synergy w/ the ES5. 

Jul 12, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #29 of 42
Hey there!

Today I went with a friend to Jaben Audio, He was looking at the Colorfly C4 and I suddenly remembered this thread and auditioned the Hm 801. 
First off I would compare the C4 and the Hm801, in terms of sound quality only, of course with my ES5s. 

First I would like to say the 801 sounds more "tamed" and controlled. It provides a really really clear tone which is very analytical, whilst the mids are very smooth which is to be expected from Westone IEMS, the low range frequencies are wonderful, absolutely wonderful. They are powerful and dynamic yet not bloated in anyway. Soundstage and instrument separation is excellent :)

In terms of rating I would say
Highs 9/10
Mids 10/10
Bass 8/10
Soundstage 8/10

Total 35/40

Now for the Colorfly C4.
In my opinion it has the standard iPod Colourization, the bass is extremely dynamic and powerful and if anything I would say that the Colorfly C4 is similar to an iPod with the Ray Samuels Audio Mustang Portable Headpone amp, highs and mids however fall in short when compared to the 801. 
The Soundstage is really the downfall of this player.
That being said, its a solid piece of gear, but it definitely falls short when compared to the 801 in terms of clarity and analytical tone of IEM.
However If you're someone thats a basshead, then I'd strongly recommend the Colorfly C4 :)

Rating
Highs 8/10
Mids 8/10
Bass 10/10
Soundstage 7/10

Total 33/40

Personally I own a iPod Classic 7G with a CypherLabs AlgoRhythm Solo and the ALO Rx Mk2.
Now I find this setup to be excellent as it "tames" the forwardness of the ES5s, increasing soundstage and instrument separation whilst maintaining the smoothness and clarity of the vocals.
This might be slightly biased since I'm accustomed towards the tonality of my own rig. But I would say such a rig is similar to the 801, with slightly improved soundstage and highs. The rest is pretty identical but the key point is that with my rig, through changing the amp you can change the tonality slightly. I also own a Ray Samuels Predator and with that amp the rig sounds significantly more warm.
Bear in mind that such a rig is pretty large in size and inconvenient.

Rating
High 9/10
Mid 10/10
Bass 9/10
Soundstage 10/10

Total 38/40

Hope that helps you in choosing your own setup for the ES5s!

Jul 12, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #30 of 42
Interesting, nice review...
bigsmile_face.gif
Here's write up of the CLAS on Headfonia and keep in mind, he rates the sound quality of the HM-801 higher than the HM-602. Here is a comparison of the CLAS vs. the HM602:

" Afterwards, I went on to proceed the comparison to the Hifiman HM-602, which was my current favorite DAP. The amplifier and headphone remains the same, and likewise the music files. The primary difference between the two sources is that the CLAS takes on a more lively and dynamic sound, where the Hifiman is more mellow, warmer, and more midrange oriented. The CLAS is better on soundstage width, blacker background, and instrument separation, while the Hifiman gives a deeper soundstage depth and also a better sense of ambiance. I think the difference character between the two DACs (Wolfson vs Philips TDA1543) makes the Hifiman more suitable for Acoustics, Vocals and Jazz. While the CLAS would be more suitable for mainstream Rock, anything fast-paced with a lot of strong beats. "

Here's his brief comparison of the HM-801 vs. the CLAS:

" Briefly, the quality of the PCM1704 in the HM-801 is universally agreed to be one of the best, most musical DAC chip around, next to the TDA1541Phillips. Wolfson chips, while good, have not yet attained to that legendary status. Likewise I find the source quality of the HM-801 to be better than the CLAS. Obviously you need to listen to good proper recordings, most preferably live recordings with a lot of ambiance details to be able to see the difference. But on the average rock recording, the livelier CLAS sound may be the better choice as instrument separation is also clearer than what you may hear on the darker sounding HM-801.  "

Users who are viewing this thread

Back