Portable Setup for Westone ES5
Jul 7, 2011 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Sarthak117

Head-Fier
I'm looking into buying a pair of Westone ES5s after reading the superb reviews written on them. I currently run my Shure SE530s off of the headphone out of an iPhone. While this isn't quite as terrible and horrific as many seem to make it out to be, it definitely isn't adequate. Any recommendations on a portable setup for the ES5s? This setup would include a player, a DAP, a portable amp, a LOD, etc. I've heard great things about the whiplash LOD and the Meier/Corda Stepdance and 2Stepdance.

Jul 8, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 42
The Sony X1060 are very detailed sounding DAPs (even through HP jack) with line out and great UI. I will recommend the ALO dock cable for Sony DAPs and AMPs like P51 Mustang, iBasso PB2, ALO RX MKII, iQube and Stepdance. Few others DAPs are also well known here for there great soundquality like S:Flo 2, HM-601, HM-602, HM-801, Cowon X7 and iMod iPod.

Jul 8, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 42
I think you're under the assumption that having all those things will change your sound.  The only thing you gain is louder reproduction, after all "amp" is short for amplifier, and the base of the word amplifier (amplify) only means to make louder. 

Jul 8, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 42

Quote:
I think you're under the assumption that having all those things will change your sound.  The only thing you gain is louder reproduction, after all "amp" is short for amplifier, and the base of the word amplifier (amplify) only means to make louder. 

Are you sure? I've heard many things about various amps, DACs, and LODs do much more than just amplify sound. I really hope there is a better sound quality than out of an iPhone headphone out. And I've heard many things about the HiFiMan players sounding much better than and an ipod in just general sound quality.

Jul 8, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 42

Quote:
I use just the Hifiman HM-801 and find the sound of that awesome.

I've seen some rave reviews about them around here, but is the price really justified? Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy an amp to match the sq? Are there any similar players that sound as good, but don't come with as sharp a price tag?

Jul 8, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #7 of 42

Quote:

I've seen some rave reviews about them around here, but is the price really justified? Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy an amp to match the sq? Are there any similar players that sound as good, but don't come with as sharp a price tag?

If they were any, I wouldn't have the HM-801.
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #8 of 42
Hey there!

Just wanted to ask a few questions.
What type of files are your songs currently?
Mp3? At what Kbps?
If you're gonna stick to your current Mp3 files I would recommend the Colorfly C4. Its one powerful device and its relatively portable.
If you're gonna change your file types to WAV at 1411 kbps I would recommend going for a iPod Classic, adding a Cypherlabs Algorhythm solo and then adding a headphone amp of your choice :)

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #9 of 42

Quote:
Hey there!

Just wanted to ask a few questions.
What type of files are your songs currently?
Mp3? At what Kbps?
If you're gonna stick to your current Mp3 files I would recommend the Colorfly C4. Its one powerful device and its relatively portable.
If you're gonna change your file types to WAV at 1411 kbps I would recommend going for a iPod Classic, adding a Cypherlabs Algorhythm solo and then adding a headphone amp of your choice :)

I'm currently running off of 320kbps mp3 with a smaller selection of FLAC and WAV files. I'd like to find higher quality copies of most of my music, but it would take a really long time. I'd much prefer to go off of my current files and slowly amass more FLAC and WAV files as my collection grows. Would the Colorfly C4 be on par with the HiFiMan 801? It really isn't that much cheaper, and while I do like it's looks, I prioritize the sound quality and synergy with ES5s.

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #10 of 42

Quote:
I'm currently running off of 320kbps mp3 with a smaller selection of FLAC and WAV files. I'd like to find higher quality copies of most of my music, but it would take a really long time. I'd much prefer to go off of my current files and slowly amass more FLAC and WAV files as my collection grows. Would the Colorfly C4 be on par with the HiFiMan 801? It really isn't that much cheaper, and while I do like it's looks, I prioritize the sound quality and synergy with ES5s.

" That leaves us only with the HM-801. Comparing the C4 with the HM-801, there are two primary differences: the HM-801 is darker and has a lot more bass weight, while the C4 is brighter and leaner on the mid and bottom. Pairing with the HD800, the C4 feels too light, while the HM-801 gives a nice addition to the fairly mild bottom end of the HD800. But that’s a matter of synergy, and I can see how some people would prefer the C4′s brighter signature over the HM-801. Having a brighter signature always helps in perceived detail due to more treble presence, and in this case, the C4 does benefit from that effect. Upon short listening sessions, the C4 sounds nicely detailed and with a big soundstage. However, after longer listening sessions, I can clearly hear that the HM-801 has a much better level of micro-details, ambience, and soundstage depth, though the soundstage is slightly narrower than the C4. Comparing with the HM-602, the C4 again has a much wider soundstage, but not so good on depth, micro-details and ambience. Of course this was a disappointment for most of us, as we expected this new product to better the HM-801 player. " - source

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #11 of 42
So as far as portable audio goes, there really is no beating the HM-801? What about the USB DAC setting on it? I don't think I'd be able to justify spending 800 dollars on a portable player. It may ease the burden on my wallet if it could also double as a half-decent desktop setup. I wouldn't expect it to beat something on the level of Woo Audio's blessed tubes, but would they function as a workable desktop setup? I can feel my wallet sobbing already...

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #12 of 42

Quote:
So as far as portable audio goes, there really is no beating the HM-801? What about the USB DAC setting on it? I don't think I'd be able to justify spending 800 dollars on a portable player. It may ease the burden on my wallet if it could also double as a half-decent desktop setup. I wouldn't expect it to beat something on the level of Woo Audio's blessed tubes, but would they function as a workable desktop setup? I can feel my wallet sobbing already...

Many others including myself would say the USB DAC function doesn't sound as good as just listening to music straight from the SD card. The COAX out on the other hand sounds identical to the SD card. The HM-801 is essentially the equivalent of listening to a very good desktop DAC or CD player while you're on the go.

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #13 of 42
While reading through some other ES5 threads, I came across SpudHarris. He runs his Westone ES5 through an iPod Classic 6g, Cypher Labs Algorithym Solo, and Meier 2Stepdance. He describes it as heavenly. Would the HM-801 beat even that setup?

Jul 11, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #15 of 42
Personally, I suggest you bring your IEMs with you and listen to the Motorola Xoom with an Equaliser app to flatten the curve, as all Android devices have boosted bass and trebles. You will be amazed by the sound quality of it stock, as in unamplified. It blows the i-devices and most DAPs on the market. The sound on Wav lossless files is absolutely stunning. For the price, even as a standalone DAP, it is a bargain but ofcourse you also get the benefit of it being a pretty good tablet. I had spent an afternoon walking the shops in Hong Kong comparing different devices with the Xoom and really nothing comes close in sound quality. I used Westone 4s.

The adage in the old Linn advertise 'Rubbish in, Rubbish out'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back