Portable or Desktop AMP recommendations much appreciated
Aug 30, 2009 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

stewiessexyparties

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a pair of k702's which I picked up for very cheap. Now being the noob that I am im listening to these straight out of my ipod. I only found this site through referral and am requesting some help in selecting an appropriate amp. I have a budget of $500 AU which is about $400 US. Im not sure if this matters but I'm interested in something that will bring out a better and deeper bass and help me achieve great performance from these cans. Also, would I need to purchase a DAC aswell? In the near future I will also look for a better source then my ipod to play from which might be kept in mind when selecting.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Sorry i noticed a very similar question to mine down in one of the threads. Seems like an EF1 hybrid is the way to go. I think I'll order one of these.

Aug 30, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another great amp for the K701/702 is the Heed CanAmp.

I'm certainly finding that to be true!
k701smile.gif

Aug 30, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #6 of 10
You'll probably do ok starting with an amp, then saving up the same amount down the track for a better DAC to use with your computer than just using your iPod. If you are going to use your iPod though, get an iPod dock line-out-to-RCA adaptor cable, as the headphone out of the iPods isn't as good as the direct line out.

Aug 30, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #7 of 10
I just bought an EF-1 for my K702s and I must say, it sounds fantastic. Granted, I don't exactly have much of a reference point for you... but I HAVE listened to the 702s stock with an iPod... so I can tell you that the difference is stunning.

The EF-1 comes highly recommended by me. Great performance, build quality... and a steal at $300. Would leave you enough cash for a cheaper DAC without compromising.

My .02

Aug 30, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #8 of 10
Yes the EF-1's seemed recommended by a lot of people for the 702's. I ordered them from head-direct and hopefully will arrive soon
smily_headphones1.gif
I just remembered I still need to get my tax back and that will come in two weeks time. This gives me an extra $400 or so for a DAC
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 30, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #9 of 10
I second Currawong's suggestion. You have excellent reference 'phones with the K702. With $800, get the best possible amp. Assuming that your laptop is fairly new, the internal DAC should be fine until you save up enough for a good external DAC. In many cases, in a blind A/B test, you won't be able to tell the difference between the setup with or without an external DAC.

Re amp options -- be sure to check out ther HeadRoom models, especially the micro line.

Sep 6, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #10 of 10
Well i purchased the EF-1 and a paradisea 3 after scraping all the funds together. the ef-1 will be arriving tomorrow i hope and i am yet to pay for the paradisea. Ill experiment with this setup for a while before deciding whether i need to invest more money in a better amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back