Portable On-ear Headphones
Oct 31, 2010 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

g1126

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for some good portable headphones that will be used straight from my iPhone 3gs with no amp. My budget is <$200 and I listen to about every genre of music from classical, to hip-hop, house, and indie so a nicely balanced pair of headphones would be great and good bass would be a plus! I'm trying to replace my es7s which broke last week (due to cold weather damage I think). I currently use grado sr80s at home and shure 535s on the run. I used to use my es7s during my commute to school on the subway and when I'm at the library so I'm looking for closed portable headphones that can block out some city noise and won't leak.

I'm currently considering ath esw9a or denon adh 1001. How do they compare to the es7s? I really liked the size of the es7s because they were very portable and were able to fit my small head very well :p

I've also heard that the esw9as are a little flimsy.. does anyone have any experience with them? Is that a problem with most portable phones from Audio Technica? My es7s only lasted 1-2 years and I never dropped them or anything. I just decided to used them on a cold day (about 45 F) and the right can started making some crackling noises and stopped working completely. Are the adh 1001s more durable and are they much larger in size compared to the es7s? I live overseas so I'm not able to physically check them out at a store. 

Any other good recommendations would be much appreciated also
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #2 of 3
Have you looked into HD25-1? they are considred to be most  durable headphones on the go. They Isolate very well and leak very little noise as well as have good sound, the highs are a bit rolled off. The bass is very tight and deep and mids are pretty good too as well as easy to drive (and the SQ scales up pretty well with the source). I love my pair 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back