portable newb has question about flashdrive as source
Dec 29, 2010 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

gjkphd

100+ Head-Fier
My car has a USB input option.  I didn't know this was possible but learned that I can plug in a music filled flash drive into this USB port and it plays great through the car stereo.  Now I"m wondering if there is a portable device that I can plug the falshdrive into and play through headphones.  I did some preliminary web search.  I found the NUForce Mobile for instance.  On the diagram there's a USB port but it's the smaller plug that gets attached while the flash drive is the larger plug. 

Please let me know if there's a DAC/amp product that can do what I want it to do
btw the music files are not mp.3's they are in wave form and it's a big flashdrive, 32 gigs I think w over 600 songs

thanks

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #2 of 3
Whoa.

While there are fullsize amps/receivers/all-in-ones (Aura Note Premier) that will allow you to plug a garden-variety USB flashdrive into the unit itself, the majority of portable applications rely on an external DAC (digital to analog converter) to take the (digital) USB signal from a USB 'A' port into whatever-USB-input-your-DAC-supports (sometimes USB 'B', per my MSII, more often its a mini USB connection as you have described) - see below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus#USB_standard_connectors 

From there, a dedicated DAC would have analog outputs (RCA or line-out) for connection to your amp, or a DAC/amp would simply have a headphone out (and possibly a line-out).

In short, I havent seen a *portable* DAC/amp that will let you plug a USB stick into the side and play music - you are going to need a computer/music server in there somewhere.

Dec 29, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #3 of 3
not what I'd hoped to here but thanks,  The ease with which I can do music in my car has me spoiled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back