Portable Music Player That Plays Flac With Album Art + headphone amp
Nov 22, 2010 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Meelis

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

Plz recommend portable music player that can display album art for flac,
for example if the album art image is in same folder with music.

Player should have good power output.
My last player Philips psa cd12 not so good 2 x 3mW (Tested with AKG K 401 120 ohms 200 mW)

UI should be fast and best if u can search track by name.

I do like natural sound,
my old mp3 cd player Philips psa cd12 sounds still better than my new computer with int sound 24bit 192 KHz.
Philips psa cd 12 has:
1-bit D/A Converter (don't know mark)
S/N Ratio (A weighted): greater than 80dB
Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz

I do like sony x series walkman, but ther is no flac support. http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665869102
Ther is also Philips Muse. http://www.philips.co.uk/c/mp3-and-mp4-players/gogear-muse-32-gb-sa2mus32s_02/prd/
And COWON J3. http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/COWONJ3/product_page_1.php
Nationite s:flo 2 (don't like the UI of that one) http://www.nationiteplayers.com/sfloPresentation.htm

I tested $40 headphone amp with AKG  K 401, didn't make sound better,
In fact sound was better in lover volume without it. But can more expencive amp sond better.
I get AKG K 601 then i need portable amp but what's good and not too expencive and overkill for portable device?
If possible the amp should have also ac adapter power + battery. Amp should not kill Frequency Response.
From http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/page2.asp
it seems K 601 needs from I = Square Root of (P / R) => 0.04082 amps
and Nationite s:flo 2 outputs 0.5 amps (maybe that's why UI is slow no power for cpu)
and COWON J3 outputs 0.04257 amps
and Sony X outputs 0.01768 amps
and Philips Muse outputs 0.01299 amps

Nov 22, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #2 of 22
With large headphones i'm not running around, so from headphone amp i expect:
* it's producer company to have long experience
* Price max $400
* Beautiful metal box housing

On the go i would take FiiO E7 amp later. So i guess the amp i first need can also be just stationary

Now which player has better menu in your opinion, Philips Muse or COWON J3?
I'm pretty shure i go with the Philips Muse or 2nt COWON J3.

And AKG K701 has lower impedance 62 ohms compared to K601 120 ohms,
but how much more uncomfortable the leather cushion of K701 is compared to K601 flat leather support.
Because some say after long use some parts of the leather cushion start to hurt your head.

Nov 23, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #4 of 22

Quote:
With large headphones i'm not running around, so from headphone amp i expect:
* it's producer company to have long experience
* Price max $400
* Beautiful metal box housing

On the go i would take FiiO E7 amp later. So i guess the amp i first need can also be just stationary

Now which player has better menu in your opinion, Philips Muse or COWON J3?
I'm pretty shure i go with the Philips Muse or 2nt COWON J3.

And AKG K701 has lower impedance 62 ohms compared to K601 120 ohms,
but how much more uncomfortable the leather cushion of K701 is compared to K601 flat leather support.
Because some say after long use some parts of the leather cushion start to hurt your head.

i have both of them, Cowon J3 win for menu category and UI category, but the back of player doesnt use metal box housing like philips gogear muse touch

Nov 23, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #5 of 22

Quote:
Where i can find out what's inside portable music players, sound chipsets - processors - amp's - DAC's
etc?

currently no one is making wikipedia with full list and internal spec like that, maybe you can become the first one :D

Quote:
and Nationite s:flo 2 outputs 0.5 amps (maybe that's why UI is slow no power for cpu)
and COWON J3 outputs 0.04257 amps
and Sony X outputs 0.01768 amps
and Philips Muse outputs 0.01299 amps

from where you find this information??? , i dont think  cowon J3 has 4x power output than philips muse

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #6 of 22
I calculated power output so:
I = Square Root of (P / R) field in http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/page2.asp
and there

COWON J3
power = 0.029 wats
Resistance = 16 ohms
=> Current = 0.04257 amps

Philips Muse vs2
power = 0.0027 wats
Resistance = 16 ohms
=> Current = 0.01299 amps

Looks like 3,28x weaker, that might be wrong, so how do u describe Muse music power with large headphones (Sennheiser HD 598 or so and up, or ~ AKG K 601)
-----------------

I do like the Muse all metal body, but have u tested large playlist, which one is faster and smoother (J3 or Muse)?
Which one sounds more natural?

Also from YT it seems like Muse wont play video back that smooth, but music quality is primary for me.

Is there portable player with XviD full support (QPEL and GMC).

How do i get missing album art automatically from internet for my music library?

Also my brother has AKG K 401 (120 ohms 200 mW) on Sansa Clip+
they are almost normally loud, maybe it's even good so i can't ruine my hearing so fast
smile.gif

Now i consider AKG K 702
but 62 ohms is 1,39x more power hungry than 120 ohms, to today i believed 120 ohms is more power hungry. So which one is correct?

Nov 24, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #7 of 22
your question are too many, its hard for me to answer all the question because my english is not good, so i will answer only a few of them.

Quote:
I calculated power output so:
I = Square Root of (P / R) field in http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/page2.asp
and there

COWON J3
power = 0.029 wats
Resistance = 16 ohms
=> Current = 0.04257 amps

Philips Muse vs2
power = 0.0027 wats
Resistance = 16 ohms
=> Current = 0.01299 amps

Looks like 3,28x weaker, that might be wrong, so how do u describe Muse music power with large headphones (Sennheiser HD 598 or so and up, or ~ AKG K 601).
i just test the power output of both players using the same song, my headphones are Pioneer Piezoelectric-driver type, the max volume of philips Muse is same with Cowon J3 when the volume is around 37-38 of 40, so Cowon J3 has only 5% bigger output than Muse Touch, so its not 3.28x like your theory.
-----------------

I do like the Muse all metal body, but have u tested large playlist, which one is faster and smoother (J3 or Muse)? Like i said before, J3 is faster and smoother, the reality is my J3 has more playlist but still faster and smoother than Philips Muse, another additional information, when searching a song, i also prefer the J3 than the Muse
Which one sounds more natural? both of them are unnatural, too bright to my ears

Also from YT it seems like Muse wont play video back that smooth, but music quality is primary for me.

Is there portable player with XviD full support (QPEL and GMC). i never use my DAP for watching movies, and i dont understand what is QPEL and GMC, but there are many players that support xvid for example Iriver K1 smart HD, Samsung YP-M1, and maybe Zune HD with newest firmware

How do i get missing album art automatically from internet for my music library? usually i buy cd and ripping myself, i dont like to download, so i cannot answer

Also my brother has AKG K 401 (120 ohms 200 mW) on Sansa Clip+
they are almost normally loud, maybe it's even good so i can't ruine my hearing so fast
smile.gif

Now i consider AKG K 702
but 62 ohms is 1,39x more power hungry than 120 ohms, to today i believed 120 ohms is more power hungry. So which one is correct?
higher impedance means more power hungry, so yes, but if you mean doest 32 ohm needs 2x final power output of player than 16ohm, than it doesnt, for example i use volume 15 when using Yuin pk1 (150ohm), but i use volume 17-19 for 15-30 ohm earbuds, the different volume is only around 3-5 even though the ohm of pk1 is 2x than my other earbuds.

last but not least, i hope you dont depend too much on the specification, you need experiment yourself than depend on theory, the reality is often different with your theory.

Nov 24, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #8 of 22
Thank you a_tumiwa
o2smile.gif

1 question more, if you turn off all filters, "FullSound" and set EQ all bars to center,
will the Philips Muse sound more or less natural?

Nov 24, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #9 of 22
FullSound make the sound become more unnatural than the default one, boost some frequency area like the low frequency and bass, adding some 3D effect.
i dont like it, i still prefer BBE from Cowon or dnse effect from Samsung or K2 from jvc than Fullsound

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #13 of 22
Just want to say, that although the Sony X Series cannot play the FLAC format, I can put AAC 400 kbps music on there and I'll be damned if I can tell the difference (nevermind 320kbps mp3 files).

Dec 3, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #15 of 22
Sony X Series 32 GB i wanted in 1'st place because nice design, menu, and OLED display.
But flac really sounds so much better than compressed. I used to think that some music is produced coarse,
but now i realise even Marilyn Manson sounds not coarse / rough when not compressed.
And yes i compared to 320 kBit/s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back