Portable headphones for metro
Aug 1, 2007 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Grossmeister

New Head-Fier
I found such models available on my market:
AKG K26P - $40
AKG K27i - $60
Sennheiser PX200 - $50-60 (I saw some cheap modification(?) named "PX200 flight" in strange small box)
JVC HA-S350 $35-40

Which of them gives better isolation, sound and comfort? I found some information about K26P and users said that they are non-comfortable, and has to many "boom-boom". But I couldn't find direct comparison of K26P/K27i with PX200. Also there is not much information about HA-S350.
What would you suggest?

Aug 1, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 24
I don't like the AKG K26P. Sounds really muddy to me and the isolation isn't very good. Have you considered IEMs?

Aug 1, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 24
Another thumbs down for the K26 (and by association K27) from me. Despite some reviews you may read to the contrary they are pretty awful and don't isolate much either. I know this because I am in the process of sending a pair back after I was foolishly taken in by many complimentary retail based reviews (not here I may add, and with good reason). I'm about to try some AKG K81s instead. Good luck in your search

Aug 1, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #4 of 24
Yeah -- IEMs are so much more portable, and their passive noise blocking can allow you to play music at a lower volume, thus protecting your ears. I would think that metro travel, even more than airplane travel, would require significant isolation, which IEMs can provide.

For cost-effective isolation and clear sound (not to mention major portability), IEMs such as the Etymotics ER6i or Westone UM1 would provide the kind of isolation a commuter needs, in a highly portable "package." Then there are other isolaters such as the Future Sonics M5 and various 'phones in the Shure line, but the prices start to climb beyond the apprx. $80 (U.S.) online cost of the ER6i's.

If you really don't want to pay upwards of $80 (U.S.) or the equivalent on true IEMs, there are some good values in in-ear canal phones, which would block some sound, but not to the same extent (canal phones mostly "override" outside noise, rather than blocking it). A real value is the Creative EP630 (I don't know how much sound the even less expensive JVC Marshmallows block out).

Would you be buying something online or in a retail store? That is, are you restricted to the models you mentioned because of price, availability, or both? It would be difficult to combine good isolation in a headphone with good sound for a low price, and even portable headphones are less low-profile and just another thing to carry around on the metro. So at least think about in-ears, if you haven't already.

I haven't heard a single one of the models you mentioned, but I am concerned that you might be expecting a lot at those price points.

[Edit: Oh -- first post;welcome to Head-Fi ...]

Aug 1, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 24
Looking at the prices of your choices, it seems you want something cheap. Try Creative EP-630s, Sennheiser CX-300s, JAYS j-Jays, which are all canalphones for your isolation needs!

Aug 2, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #6 of 24
Ok, as I understood noise isolation is not good in portable headphones like K26P or PX200.
Now I should try Creative EP-630 and Sennheiser CX-300 (as I know, they are the same). I don't know how it will be if something is in my ear
smily_headphones1.gif
What do you think about K324P?

Maybe I should look at K81DJ, a saw a lot of good responses about them. Are they foldable?

Aug 2, 2007 at 10:41 AM Post #7 of 24
hueheheheee, K26p are the same as K27i and K28nc...if you want better mid&high go get K24p, it's more cheaper than K26p BUT it's not an closed model...but still portable, better than PX200 (IMO)...
icon10.gif
K518dj/K81dj maybe the right one for you, cmiiw...
rolleyes.gif

Aug 2, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #9 of 24
PX100 would be fine, but IEM is indeed better for metro environment.
for IEM, it would be good to raise the budget slightly. Two recommendation would be: Sony EX90 (around $70, but lots of counterfeits on ebay), V-mode Vibe

Aug 2, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #10 of 24
Be careful, if you decide on the cx300, there are lot of fake version of those on ebay too.

If iem isn't your thing, drop some money and get the HD280. It isolates quite well, and sounds great. Newegg and amazon tend to have them between $60 and $70. If your budget were bigger, the HD25-1 would be the only way to go.

Aug 2, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Be careful, if you decide on the cx300, there are lot of fake version of those on ebay too.

If iem isn't your thing, drop some money and get the HD280. It isolates quite well, and sounds great. Newegg and amazon tend to have them between $60 and $70. If your budget were bigger, the HD25-1 would be the only way to go.

How can recognize original CX300? Or maybe it'll be better to buy EP630?
I found HD280 and HD25-1 in our shops, both of them cost ~$150, it's too much for me.

Ok, now I have to listen K81 DJ, and maybe I'll buy both - K81 DJ (or K518 DJ) and CX300 (EP630). As I understood K518 and K81 are the same except of color, yes?

Aug 2, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by rapier84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps...Mylar X3 shipped for 57USD
tongue.gif

Another vote for the X3. Or creative ep630. Sound + Isolation I think is the deciding factor here. K26ps, PX100 or any other over the ear portable headphones will not give you the isolation that you need to truly enjoy your music on the go.

Of course, I may be wrong about that in regard to K81djs. Is the isolation on the K81dj superior to other closed portable cans?

Aug 2, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #14 of 24
The K81DJ's look great (I haven't heard them), and although users report some serious clamping against the side of the head (necessary for the passive sound blocking), maybe for short periods of commuting, they would be good. If you go with a headphone, you'll want something closed such as the K81's or Sennheisers mentioned by Compuryan. The lightweight open portables can sound quite fun, but won't work on your commute.

For around half of what the Sennheiser canal phones cost (in the U.S., anyway -- your mileage may vary), the Creative EP630 do gently "plug into" the ears, which is a key factor in passive sound isolation (the soft silicone sleeves are comfortable, and come in different sizes, so you can find what feels comfortable while still blocking out as much outside noise as possible).

I like your idea of a pair of canal phones and a pair of closed headphones (that's true Head-Fi thinking!). If you can afford it, it will give you choice, versatility, and two different levels of portability, depending on your situation.

Hope you find something you like.

Aug 2, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #15 of 24
The er6i is a true armature IEM, isolates like crazy, and has extremely clear sound. They sell for around $75 on Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back