Portable Headphone Amplifiers + Airport Security.. How do you pass them?
Apr 21, 2012 at 6:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

WoahReQQuiem

Not permitted to do trades.
So yeah, I'll be flying to Philippines in 1 month and two weeks. How do I go by the security unnoticed with my "bomb-like" portable amp? 

Apr 21, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #3 of 16
It's the Meier Porta Corda III. Looks like a DIY bomb of some sorts, honestly. It's similar in footprint to the iPod classic 7G, but twice as thick.

Apr 21, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #4 of 16
Tell them if they come any closer, you'll set it off.  And that you've rigged it to automatically go off as soon as it stops detecting your pulse.  That oughta fix it up.

Apr 21, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #5 of 16
Is there any less.. threatening way? :p

Apr 21, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #6 of 16
I've gone through four times in the last couple years with a HeadRoom Total Bithead, no problems.  Never even asked me about it.  Only time I've ever been pulled aside was for a jar of honey I forgot to bag with the other liquids.  Apparently it looked more dangerous than all of the personal electronics I was carrying!

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #9 of 16
I took my PA2V2, didn't even get asked about it.  Kept it with my laptop bag and never got a question, comment or had any problems.  Mind you, given the current state of Security Theater, just because something works for a few people with no issues is no guarantee that some overzealous mouth-breather isn't going to hassle you about it in the future :)

Apr 25, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #10 of 16
Where is the FAQ for this? This question is asked a LOT. 

I flew threw the USA and CANADA with a Woo Audio W3+ in my backpack, no problems other than a long radiation scan. Same with all my portable amps. I'm sure there are horror stories, but then the jerks at Toronto obviously had never seen bread before and took my pumpernickel as it was radioactive. They also stole my wife's fish saying it was liquid. Amps: no problems. Non-radioactive food: three problems. 

May 8, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #12 of 16
I've taken my Meier Corda 3MOVE on a number occasions without any attention payed to it. I'm sure TSA is trained to spot certain components, not including capacitors, resistors and amplifier chips. Any explosives experts around? 
tongue.gif

May 26, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #13 of 16
I had a customer awhile back tell me that he was questioned for 2 hours over his amp!  They said it was a "suspicious item" lol!  He finally showed them how it worked, and convinced them that it wasn't a bomb or anything, and let him go.  My fiance on the other hand, has her amp with her everywhere she goes...and she flies from Kansas to PA every 4 months, and has never had any problems.  It all depends on the security I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back