Portable Headphone Amp for Etymotic ER-4S
Mar 6, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #16 of 25
IMHO the best with the ER-4S is the LaRocco PR-II. The bass boost of that amp can make the ER-4S really sing. I know it isn't a purist thing to do, but those phones sound amazing on the go with just a little contouring of deep bass.

Mar 6, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #17 of 25
I'm going to go with the purist option. I am not looking to change the sound signature of the Etys. They are very accurate. However, I have noticed that unlike other phones I've heard, these are very sensitive of what they are fed, and can sound very thin when fed improperly. I would have to say that the best I have heard them sound was through a Musical Fidelity X-Can v2. And I definitely don't think the Etys have exaggerated highs. What I am looking for is a very neutral amp.

I will also emphasize that the size of the amp doesn't matter to me. It can be as big as it wants. I don't plan to pocket it, but will have an extra bag or something of the sort to carry it in. Thanks guys.

Mar 6, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raphael /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to go with the purist option. I am not looking to change the sound signature of the Etys. They are very accurate. However, I have noticed that unlike other phones I've heard, these are very sensitive of what they are fed, and can sound very thin when fed improperly. I would have to say that the best I have heard them sound was through a Musical Fidelity X-Can v2. And I definitely don't think the Etys have exaggerated highs.

I will also emphasize that the size of the amp doesn't matter to me. It can be as big as it wants. I don't plan to pocket it, but will have an extra bag or something of the sort to carry it in. Thanks guys.

Not trying to sway you, but the boost sits in the lowest octave only and will not touch vocals. The ER-4S I feel by design is amazingly capable of reproducing deep bass but it sometimes needs help for portable use. I don't think it was possible to design a filter that has the deep bass where it should be without hurting the mids and highs. So others have gone the multiple driver route, but that comes with its own issues - namely a crossover network. The ER-4S should probably be driven by a home amp for reference listening, but for on the go enjoyment a little tipping up around 25Hz is very well received by those phones. In fact, amazingly well received. The PR-II still gets the job done without applying any bass contouring, but the option is nice to have for those occasions when you want to rock out with them. The bad news is that the PR-II is hard to find and difficult to order.

I haven't heard the Headamp Pico, but that's what I would try if I didn't already have a PR-II. However, I say this only from reading Skylab's review of portable amplification. You should read that thread also. I also have the Xin Supermini III and I can say that the PR-II in general beats it, it just sounds more natural to me.

Mar 6, 2008 at 7:37 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not trying to sway you, but the boost sits in the lowest octave only and will not touch vocals. The ER-4S I feel by design is amazingly capable of reproducing deep bass but it sometimes needs help for portable use. I don't think it was possible to design a filter that has the deep bass where it should be without hurting the mids and highs. So others have gone the multiple driver route, but that comes with its own issues - namely a crossover network. The ER-4S should probably be driven by home amp for reference listening, but on the go enjoyment a little tipping up around 25Hz is very well received by those phones. In fact amazingly well received. The PR-II still gets the job done without applying any bass contouring, but the option is nice to have for those occasions when you want to rock out with them. The bad news is that the PR-II is hard to find and difficult to order.

I haven't heard the Headamp Pico, but that's what I would try if I didn't already have a PR-II. However, I say this only from reading Skylab's review of portable amplification. You should read that thread also.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that. And you are right. The bass does need help in lower department when on the move. Walking walks alright, but sitting on a bus, and especially a subway totally drains away any possibility of hearing low bass. Unfortunately though, I plan to use this at home a lot too. (when I can't crank the Line Source) during late nights - I'm always up late. Can you tell?
biggrin.gif
So while I would appreciate the bass option, I would rather get the best possible portable amp I can (without killing the wallet of course). If that happens to have a bass option for when I'm on the go, then that's even better news! But how well I can hear while sitting at home is more important to me than how well I can hear on the move.

I would never think of it as swaying, even if it were. I always appreciate the help
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2008 at 10:27 AM Post #20 of 25
I must say that my SR-71 sounds fantastic with my Etys. I think however your problem will be similar to the Xin amps - finding one.

Mar 6, 2008 at 10:54 AM Post #21 of 25
I have a Xin Supermacro and a Tomahawk they both sound really good with my er4s.
Edit: I feel the Tomahawk is more neutral.

Mar 20, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #23 of 25
Alright, let's mix things up a bit.

Price no cost. If I were to go all out, what is the best portable headphone amp I can get for the ER-4S?

Mar 21, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very similar, however I should mention that the Reference is available in various versions. Basically a major component difference is the cap which ranges from 12,000, 15,000, and 22,000 uF. The Supermicro is more consistent and easier to make fit to your pockets (small size).

what's the difference between these 3 caps?

Feb 12, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #25 of 25
Resurrecting this to see what folks think would be the smallest headphone amp that could drive the er4s. I have been enjoying a qudelix q5 and it's close but when I add my old jds labs c421 it just sounds right. Wondering if there is something comparable that is around the same size as the q5 which is slightly bigger than a typical dongle Dac like a audioquest firefly.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back