Portable Headphone Amp for Etymotic ER-4S
Mar 4, 2008 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Raphael

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys (and the smaller population of gals),

I've read, and read, a lot about headphone amps in the past few years. Essentially, I can't listen to each one to decide what is best. That is a big hit to my wallet. I am getting a 5.5gen iMod (I know how great these things are as I have owned the 4th gen iMod for a while). And I just may get a customized V-Cap Dock, or maybe a Sonicap Dock for it (a LOT cheaper I hear).

Now, budget is definitely a big part, but as you can see, I stretch my dollar to get the best I can for it. i.e. iMod, ER-4S. I realize there are a lot of good headphone amps out there, but I hear constant contrary opinions on each. So I thought I would pose the question here to focus the sound on the ER-4S. These are probably headphone I will never upgrade from (unless I find something better). Not being able to hear the lower bass when traveling is annoying, but I've lived with it for years. I am fed up with the Go-Vibe 5 (no offense to any of you who love it). It just doesn't work with the Etys in my opinion. As you can see, a Sonicap/V-Cap Dock, an iMod etc. clearly indicates that I do not care how big the amp is (as long as it's not bigger than my hand I guess).

So I want to get the best portable headphone amp on a budget for the ER-4S. From what I have heard in the past, the Xin Supermicro IV is a very good sounding amp that synergizes very nicely with it. Then there is the Reference. I don't know if that is better for the Etys. I hear it works wonders for more demanding cans. Then there is also the Pico and the AE-2. Many options, and one confused listener is a bad result
smily_headphones1.gif
So I would really appreciate anyone's help if you can chime in and help me out. Thanks!

Cheers,

Raphael

Mar 4, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 25
I would scratch the Xin offerings from your list unless you can buy them used, since Xin has been quiet again since late December 2007, and some people have been waiting for over a year now and still haven't received their amp.

You don't want to be stuck in that.
I think you should consider the iBasso P2 also, I have the P1 and I think it's pretty good with the ER4S, and the P2 is (probably) the better amp.
Edit: and it's fairly cheap, like $120 I think.

Mar 4, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by tk3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would scratch the Xin offerings from your list unless you can buy them used, since Xin has been quiet again since late December 2007, and some people have been waiting for over a year now and still haven't received their amp.

You don't want to be stuck in that.
I think you should consider the iBasso P2 also, I have the P1 and I think it's pretty good with the ER4S, and the P2 is (probably) the better amp.
Edit: and it's fairly cheap, like $120 I think.

I know what you mean... I guess I left that part out by accident. I have been on the pre-order list for the SuperMicro IV since last May. I'm wondering if I should change to the Reference, or cancel and get something different. Waiting is not a problem for me since I've already waited so long. Should be coming around anytime now... I hope
frown.gif
But if there's a better amp for the Etys, I will obviously go with that.

Mar 5, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 25
I absolutely loved my RSA Tomahawk with my Etys. I honestly felt it increased the width & detail of the soundstage and beefed up the lower end. They sell used on these pages for some pretty reasonable prices, so you may want to take a look.

Mar 5, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raphael /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mrarroyo,

Would you recommend I opt for the Xin Reference or stick with the SuperMicro IV?

It would be impossible to predict when you could get a Supermacro from Dr. Xin. A pity because IMO it is a great amp if not the best. The Supermicro IV is a wonderful unit and if that is the only amp I had I would be happy with it.

Mar 5, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would be impossible to predict when you could get a Supermacro from Dr. Xin. A pity because IMO it is a great amp if not the best. The Supermicro IV is a wonderful unit and if that is the only amp I had I would be happy with it.

You mean reference as the best? Well, if I'm already on the list, I think I may be able to switch the order... I hope. I'll send him an e-mail if you mean the Reference is the best one. I just heard the synergy between the SuperMicro IV and ER-4S was very good. I just wasn't sure if Reference had that sound signature.

Mar 5, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

You mean reference as the best? Well, if I'm already on the list, I think I may be able to switch the order... I hope. I'll send him an e-mail if you mean the Reference is the best one. I just heard the synergy between the SuperMicro IV and ER-4S was very good. I just wasn't sure if Reference had that sound signature.

Very similar, however I should mention that the Reference is available in various versions. Basically a major component difference is the cap which ranges from 12,000, 15,000, and 22,000 uF. The Supermicro is more consistent and easier to make fit to your pockets (small size).

Mar 5, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #10 of 25
x2 on Minibox-E+. I also like Hornet M with ety4R/4S, but it don't have bass boost which I need on the go.

FYI, I have been waiting Supermini IV for 1 (one) year...
frown.gif

Mar 5, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #11 of 25
Yes, Dr. Xin has seriously disappointed. I didn't mind waiting a few months, but at over 10 months now I am really losing my patience with him. And the worst part is that he won't even respond to his e-mails! And there's others who have barely waited 3-6 months in cue getting their amps...

mrarroyo, I don't mind how big it is. If I'm going to be carrying the V-Cap dock, clearly size isn't an issue. Can't fit that + iMod + amp all in one pocket. I'm going to need a carrying case
wink.gif

Mar 5, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #12 of 25
I got a recommendation for the TTJV Portable Millet as well. Any thoughts? I'm going to look into it right now.

Mar 6, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

I got a recommendation for the TTJV Portable Millet as well. Any thoughts? I'm going to look into it right now.

The TTVJ Millet is a very peculiar amp. I say so because if you like the sound of an small 4 member Jazz Combo in an small smokey venue then run to get it. If you like a little more open sound then it may not be for you.

Be advise that since it has tubes it should not be used for energetic activities. Much better suited as a transportable than a running type amp.

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The TTVJ Millet is a very peculiar amp. I say so because if you like the sound of an small 4 member Jazz Combo in an small smokey venue then run to get it. If you like a little more open sound then it may not be for you.

Be advise that since it has tubes it should not be used for energetic activities. Much better suited as a transportable than a running type amp.

I wouldn't go jogging with it. I would walk around. Do you mean the soundstage is small when you say 4 member jazz? I definitely like a big soundstage and separation between instruments. It is already very small with IEMs.

Mar 6, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #15 of 25
I like the Mini3 with Etys.

Part of what you need to ask yourself is what a good amp for you would be. There are some who feel the SR-71 "tames" the Ety's highs (that is, rolls them off to a degree) and that this is a good thing. Personally I like a very high-bandwidth amp that doesn't do that, and the Mini3 fills the bill very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back