Portable Earphone Newbie - Need advice
Jun 15, 2010 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Stradius

New Head-Fier
I've been scanning a variety of threads, seeing that I am looking for earphones to replace the current ones (generic HTC that came with my G1).  They are not IEMs and as a result have generally poor sound, especially when outside where it's noisy (I'm in the city).  One of my major reasons for wanting to upgrade though, is because I hate having to readjust my earphones every 30 seconds or so because they are falling out.  Which makes my walks/jogging a pain to enjoy.  So I am looking for something to assist in that regard (something with an around-ear clip sort of thing).  But, I have tried an IEM in the past and I remember being annoyed by the feedback by breathing or cable movement, which I believe you guys refer to as microphonics?

Anyway, I read a big thread made by someone here that listed a TON of earphones with build quality, sound, accessories, etc but it's so many and overwhelming to say the least.  I mean, I have heard some earphones named repeatedly (RE0, Senn IE7, Klipsch Custom 2 but heard it has bad microphonics?)

My priorities are as follows:

1) Feedback / Microphonics (if they are IEMs)
2) Some sort of assist built-in or as an included accessory to keep the darn things on/in my ears
3) General sound quality
4) enhanced bass is a plus, not required (I mostly listen to rock... think NIN, SoaD, Deftones, etc)
5) Price.  Preferably $100 or less but I am willing to consider going above if it meets all the criteria

I appreciate any suggestions and advice provided.

Jun 16, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #2 of 3
UM1 or Westone1 - You can read the reviews, don’t expect Microphonics if you move up to stage or studio monitors.  These stay on no problem. See Poll: How do you wear yours - /img/forum/go_quote.gif  Monitors do not usually distort, or change the sound except in some people’s ears. 

Expect them to be transparent.  By that I mean the same as recorded.  If you want to screw it up, use your equalizer.  With a good seal you can play these really soft and still hear everything.  You do not need to distort the bass from original to get rid of outside sounds.

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #3 of 3
I decided to settle for the UM1.  Overall it had most of what I needed and price was an important factor, too.  I am still looking to find some Phonak Ear Guides but audeoworld's shipping to Canada is insane.  Maybe I can find some decent immitations on eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back