Portable DAP for Tidal
Feb 12, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #46 of 136
Cant understand how DAP manufacturers do not see this as an important feature (great sound and very convenient solution), I do 90% of listening time by Tidal and would love to find a one portable machine solution to play offline (planes, low coverage areas, etc..) without glitches...

I use this for years with my XperiaZ from SD card without a single problem, how come the Pioneers/Onkyo have all those problems?
Hope that Fiio gets that right with the 5iii, will be an happy camper for sure...immediately. Can't get over the idea of phone plus dac/amp...too complicated/unpractical, let alone the fidfly and easy to damage microusb connectors.

Would love to know what actual DAPs do work without glitches ( much like Xperia or ipad) with Tidal offline...with improved sou d compared with smartphone.

you just perfectly matched my search on the dap market right now!!
i am looking for a dap <1000€ with bluetooth aptx and the most important thing:

a stutterless tidal hifi offline playback!

seems to be not possible right now?! please somebody correct me if im wrong :)

so right now im just hoping and waiting on the FiiO 3rd Gen to to it right!!!

Feb 12, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #47 of 136
Thanks for the reply, will have to check the Sony or wait for the Fiio 5iii, in theory looks greta if it works. The poly plus mojo does not appeal, actually not even the mojo because then things become a mess interms of logistics...cant really bother with more than 1 machine solution...I am having less and less patient with cables and fiddle logistics...probably is age, who knows. I also like Chord sound but ultimately could not see myself using the mojo on the go given its form factor and at home already have the Hugo TT, so it makes no sense to me.

I've discovered that the trick is to stack the Mojo with a second phone. Rather than using your primary phone.

Feb 13, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #49 of 136
One thing that lessened my interest in the Poly is that I believe that I am correct in saying that Tidal will not utilise it's SD card. You will be reliant on the storage of the phone used as it's controller.

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #50 of 136
Having read through this thread, am I right to think that so far, the only DAP that anyone here has had success playing Tidal HiFi files offline from SD card is the Sony?

How is it possible that we can do it on our phones, but DAP makers cannot implement this functionality?  Or do the Onkyo/Pioneer do fine with this as well?  (Have read about problems with Fiio, Cayin i5, AK.)

May 11, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #54 of 136
The Onkyo DP-X1 supports offline Tidal.
At first it stores the files on the local storage but you can move this to a SD card.

How are the TIDAL files stored on the SD card and in what format? This makes sense to avoid dip outs and poor Wifi signals. How does this player output the stored music files for playbacks from an external DAC like HUGO2? Is there a TOSLINK optical out or USB that bypasses the internal DAC?? If yes then it could be used as a transport device to feed and external DAC with both TIDAL and stored FLAC files etc.

Jun 27, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #56 of 136
Jun 27, 2017 at 5:46 AM Post #57 of 136
How is it possible that we can do it on our phones, but DAP makers cannot implement this functionality?
Music lovers are still a niche market for the manufacturers. App developers will always choose to work for phone companies for better income and only a few will chose to work for DAP companies. And also you can see how slow the DAP companies release software updates to their products. You can say they work on new products or they don't have the funds for research and development departments. So whatever the reason is you either accept to follow app support, like lossless streaming, from behind or adapt the situation and get a phone plus DAC&amp stack. That is how things work nowadays.

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #58 of 136
Keeping the string alive.

I'm looking for one device to carry, offline tidal HiFi, parametric eq, and awesome DAC/amp integrated.

Already am stacking my Nexus 6p with a fiio e17k. Ok results but the USB audio studders every couple minutes even while playing offline files (no such issue when using my Android tablet, go figure) and no para eq with this method!

When I'm on wifi I'm covered with USB audio player pro since it has toneboosters para eq. But you must stream tidal with uapp, no offline support of tidal.

So.... Ive been looking at the pioneer or Onkyo daps, but read about playback issues. Any other options yet?

Jul 23, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #59 of 136
Keeping the string alive.

I'm looking for one device to carry, offline tidal HiFi, parametric eq, and awesome DAC/amp integrated.

Already am stacking my Nexus 6p with a fiio e17k. Ok results but the USB audio studders every couple minutes even while playing offline files (no such issue when using my Android tablet, go figure) and no para eq with this method!

When I'm on wifi I'm covered with USB audio player pro since it has toneboosters para eq. But you must stream tidal with uapp, no offline support of tidal.

So.... Ive been looking at the pioneer or Onkyo daps, but read about playback issues. Any other options yet?

happy with the fiio x5 3rd gen. use this mainly with tidal offline and so far has been good to me albeit some song glitches once ever 25-30 songs. i just press back and listen again. i know this is common with all android daps but I believe the x5 has this less.

Jul 23, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #60 of 136
happy with the fiio x5 3rd gen. use this mainly with tidal offline and so far has been good to me albeit some song glitches once ever 25-30 songs. i just press back and listen again. i know this is common with all android daps but I believe the x5 has this less.

Thanks for confirming the x5iii works with Tidal offline! What are the EQ options for it? Can you use the EQ when playing Tidal offline or must you use the native music player app to enjoy DSP effects like EQ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back