Portable DAP for Tidal
Jan 11, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #31 of 136
Cant understand how DAP manufacturers do not see this as an important feature (great sound and very convenient solution), I do 90% of listening time by Tidal and would love to find a one portable machine solution to play offline (planes, low coverage areas, etc..) without glitches...

I use this for years with my XperiaZ from SD card without a single problem, how come the Pioneers/Onkyo have all those problems?
Hope that Fiio gets that right with the 5iii, will be an happy camper for sure...immediately. Can't get over the idea of phone plus dac/amp...too complicated/unpractical, let alone the fidfly and easy to damage microusb connectors.

Would love to know what actual DAPs do work without glitches ( much like Xperia or ipad) with Tidal offline...with improved sou d compared with smartphone.

Jan 11, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #32 of 136

It worked fine for me when I had a Sony ZX2 with sound quality only bettered by my Chord Mojo DAC. Isn't the Fiio X7 also capable? (plus the older Sony ZX1 of course).

The one I'm also keeping an eye on is the Fiio X5 3rd gen, but once I add the Chord Poly to my Chord Mojo (come March when available) I should be able to send straight from the phones Tidal/Spotify apps offline content wirelessly to the Mojo. The Mojo & poly combined would be £900 but that in same ballpark as the ZX2 was on release (this assumes you do always have a smartphone to hand to control the Mojopoly).

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #33 of 136
Thanks for the reply, will have to check the Sony or wait for the Fiio 5iii, in theory looks greta if it works. The poly plus mojo does not appeal, actually not even the mojo because then things become a mess interms of logistics...cant really bother with more than 1 machine solution...I am having less and less patient with cables and fiddle logistics...probably is age, who knows. I also like Chord sound but ultimately could not see myself using the mojo on the go given its form factor and at home already have the Hugo TT, so it makes no sense to me.

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #34 of 136

I think the Chord design concept is most people already have a smartphone with screen, storage and great music playback apps so why duplicate. What a phone lacks is high-end audio quality but link to external DACS/AMPS with cables etc. gets messy. This way you still have just one audio device (once the Mojo & poly are connected together they need never be parted and charge from a single point). The Mojo/Poly will be no larger/heavier than a good quality DAP I'd say. The ZX2 was a weighty beast even compared to my Mojo stacked with a Z5mini phone. 

Only problem with the Sony's now is that they are stuck at Android 4.2.2 and will never be updated and many believe the like of Tidal/Spotify will drop support for these older Android versions (never need to worry about stuff like this with a Mojo/Poly as should just work with any new phone/app update you use in the future).

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #35 of 136
I did not think about that possibility for the mojo+poli, can be interesting. You may be right regarding Android 4.2.2, it is a potential limitation of the Sony...will wait and see for the Fiio 5iii. Thanks.

Jan 12, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #36 of 136
To me the big limitations of the Mojo Poly are that you still have to plug your headphones into it. It is too big to slip into a pocket so has to live in a bag. You are then tethered to the bag.
Another major negative is that I don't think you can store Tidall offline files onto the Poly's SD card. I may be wrong on that.
As the Poly is not even out yet we do not know the implications of the wireless connection on SQ. Hopefully Chord have nailed that.

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #38 of 136
Currently have HEK 1000 V2 and a QP1R DAP capable of storing over 400GB of flac files. I like the sound but not enough power to drive the HEK often requiring max volume on high gain setting and clips. So added a iFI micro ican SE. This is a transportable amp with amazing power for a small device and can drive the HEK to higher volumes and has a bass boost switch. Unfortunately, it needs a wall outlet
With no built in battery. This combo sounds good for now as a transportable set up while away or moving room to room on my home but wanting to hear what others have come up with as their best transportable stack, for these cans at any price? The Mojo DAC has rave reviews but not sure can drive the HEK to high enough volume without another amp. Much more expensive DAPS also seem limited with an additional amp further adding to a bulky stack for mobility. I also want to be able to stream the likes of TIDAL eventually when away from home on vacation. Please tell me what options are out there to really get the most out of the HEK. THANKS

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #39 of 136
  Hey, I also have a Iphone 7 Plus and Oppo HA-2se.  So the Tidal app knows its sending Hi-Fi files to Oppo for conversion?

Can Tidal even do Hi-Fi audio without a DAC?

This is also my portable setup and I like it, also sound-wise.
Tidal premium does losless audio codec at 44 kHz/16bit and 1411kbps bitrate which corresponds CD quality.

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #40 of 136
Currently have HEK 1000 V2 and a QP1R DAP capable of storing over 400GB of flac files. I like the sound but not enough power to drive the HEK often requiring max volume on high gain setting and clips. So added a iFI micro ican SE. This is a transportable amp with amazing power for a small device and can drive the HEK to higher volumes and has a bass boost switch. Unfortunately, it needs a wall outlet
With no built in battery. This combo sounds good for now as a transportable set up while away or moving room to room on my home but wanting to hear what others have come up with as their best transportable stack, for these cans at any price? The Mojo DAC has rave reviews but not sure can drive the HEK to high enough volume without another amp. Much more expensive DAPS also seem limited with an additional amp further adding to a bulky stack for mobility. I also want to be able to stream the likes of TIDAL eventually when away from home on vacation. Please tell me what options are out there to really get the most out of the HEK. THANKS

The mojo will power the hek1000v2 to high even volumes wether there is enough power to keep the dynamics perfect is another story. I personally love my mojo and it powers and works very well with my uptopias, hd800's and gs1000. But these headphones are not quit as power hungry as the hek. I'm sure if you don't mind the size the Hugo 2 or Dave will power them very well. I've never had an issue with my Dave powering any normal headphone. The hek isn't exactly known to be a great portable headphone, it's fragile and power hungry. Good luck, but I'd at least demo the Hugo and Dave at a local dealer or head-fi meet. For its size the mojo is probably the best out there. If your only connecting to a computer source meridian and Burson make small dac/Amps with decent power as well, the merridian also will play full res mqa from Tidal.

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #41 of 136
AK70 will access Tidal but does not currently permit offline storage whereas iOS does.
Jim

IF ONLY ak70 had digital out it would be SUCH an awesome device. Well built, decent UI, tidal support, decent price (in comparison to other tidal support DAPs). 

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #42 of 136
I'm looking for a transportable best option to drive the HEKV2 to it full potential so not confined to one listening area at home or while traveling. Not worried about HEK being fragile as I have a case for it. Need best DAC/AMP/Server for 200 GB flac storage and WiFi capable with TIDAL.

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #43 of 136
The mojo will power the hek1000v2 to high even volumes wether there is enough power to keep the dynamics perfect is another story. I personally love my mojo and it powers and works very well with my uptopias, hd800's and gs1000. But these headphones are not quit as power hungry as the hek. I'm sure if you don't mind the size the Hugo 2 or Dave will power them very well. I've never had an issue with my Dave powering any normal headphone. The hek isn't exactly known to be a great portable headphone, it's fragile and power hungry. Good luck, but I'd at least demo the Hugo and Dave at a local dealer or head-fi meet. For its size the mojo is probably the best out there. If your only connecting to a computer source meridian and Burson make small dac/Amps with decent power as well, the merridian also will play full res mqa from Tidal.

When out and about what feeds the flac files to the Mojo??

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #44 of 136

When out and about what feeds the flac files to the Mojo??

I'm lazy when traveling, I use my iPhone, saved music with onkyo hf player or tidal hifi, hopefully tidal introduces mqa for mobile soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back